Paper rounds and part time student work

@maximax8 (28958)
United Kingdom
I had a paper round when I was thirteen to sixteen years old. Then between sixteen and eighteen years old I worked as a Saturday shop assistant. These days in this recession youngsters are having a challenging time to get these sorts of part time jobs. The adults are doing the paper round jobs it would seem to me. I just came home from shopping and a man put leaflets just inside my bungalow because the front door was open. My dog rushed at the man and I had to grab my dog. I was tired bringing in all the food shopping and must have not noticed my baby gate was open. Is it easy for teens to get a paper round where you live? Did you do any sort of part time work when you were a teenager? Which part time jobs are great for future employment do you think?
we should train childrens from their early life how to work in a smart way rather than making hard work.We are giving money to them and tells to save the money.So here they are learning about the use of savings and how it is helpful in future life.In this way we should give some extra work in their holidays but putting them in joining classes like drawing classes,sports and some extra curricular activities.This will bring confidence on them.They will become a person who can finish all tasks when given in a difficult situation.If you accounts you can make lot of companies as your clients by providing your smart work and earn income as part time by working in some other concern and studying new technology.
@RawBill1 (8541)
• Gold Coast, Australia
I never had a paper round when I was a teenager as I would work for my dad on building sites instead. I had lots of friends who did this though, but you are right. It does seem that kids no longer do this type of job. They have adults deliver subscription newspapers and free local ones these days. Even the junk mail gets delivered by adults on old postie bikes it seems. I think most teens these days seem to work in fast food places or supermarkets from what I can tell from the ones that I know. Maybe teens just will not work for the minimal amount of money that you get from delivering papers? I guess because cars can deliver so much faster, they end up earning more per paper and the newsagent is happier because the papers all go out faster. My daughter is nearly in her teens and will probably get some cafe job or end up working for us part time. Hospitality is a huge industry here on the Gold Coast so lots of teens end up in that area too while studying.
@marketing07 (6266)
• South Korea
i remember when i was a teen i used to work at the convinience store nearby my place.im very happy to recieve my salary..i think start working when you are still young makes you aware how to handle money matters...i think a good partime job now a days are networking business or mlm..
@Porcospino (19661)
• Denmark
Some teenagers in my country have paper rounds, but in some cases teenagers are unable to do the work because you need a car and you can't get your driving licence if you are under 18. Many teenagers work in the cities where they are able to use a bike. In the countryside adults do the work, they have to drive many kilometers from village to village so it would be impossible to do the work without a car. My brother and I had a paper round when we were children. We shared the work and the money. It was nice that we were able to share the work and divide the streets among us, it was much faster that way. When I was about 14 I got a part time job in the law firm. I had to tidy up, fill the dishwasher and take the mail to the post office. I worked in the afternoons after school. I was happy to earn some extra money that way and I kept the job for one year. After that time I had too many classes and I wasn't able to work in the afternoon anymore so I had to quit my job.
I use to sell newspaper subscriptions door to door. Made good money. Most adultys run crews n get commission off the kids. Now u need a car to have a paper rout bc the hrs r 2am - 5am but I hear ppl make good money doing that also. I've been thinking about tryn to do that. My kids dad leaves for work at 5:30am n I would have to be home b4 that.
I had a paper round when I was younger and it gave me some extra money to buy my own things! I do agree however that I see more adults doing these kind of jobs but, I guess that just means they either need any kind of job or it suits them around their life style!
@JenInTN (27564)
Teens are finding it as hard to get part-time work as adults are in this day and time. There are paper rounds but the truth is that I have seen mostly adults doing them too. Restaurants hire youths if they are 15 and have their parents permission to work and the hour limit is 25 hours a week when they are in school. These jobs are becoming hard to get for them as well. Mowing yards and babysitting are other options that teens had. When I was a teen, I worked in a restaurant. I think that most any job that a teen gets can help them in the future.
@jillhill (37383)
I did not because we lived out in the country...all three of my kids did however. I did alot of babysitting and so did my girls when they were teens and this gave them alot of spending money. We have several papers around here so yes...there is alot of opportunity.
I remember the days when teens could get jobs easy. Now days it is hard for them and adults. Here the adults have multiple paper routes, and take most of the work from the kids.
@cher913 (25890)
i think it is really important to have kids start working early and earning their own money just because it teaches them the value of a dollar.