When does life really begins?

In your own opinion, does it begins at the onset of fertilization or only after the brain and Central Nervous System is fully developed and functional? I'm posting this in response to the argument regarding reproductive health bill. The anti-RH group says that using some contraceptives deliberately kills the "mindless" blastocyst, but the pro argues that the blastocyst is still not capable of thinking for itself, hence it is still not living. Which group to you follow? Everyone is welcome to post their side! For me, I am going with the RH bill. I believe that implementing it would definitely solve our population problem.
@obe212003 (2302)
With due respect to the question, I would say life itself begins at the instance of conception, when the sperm reaches the ovary. The start of life begins from there and to be nurtured within the span of time, an existence based on the cycle of life, and thereafter goes the essence of existence as one learns to be independent and decide for his/her life's existence.
@ARIES1973 (9534)
• Legaspi, Philippines
I agree with you obe! I would like to make a response on the discussion but since I have found an answer similar to my stand, I just have to give my full support on your answer.
Wouldn't the blastocyst still be classified as still a "part" of the mother since it totally depends on her for all her activities? This just my opinion and I do respect your view that life begins at the very event of fertilization.
@obe212003 (2302)
the "part" that you consider was created with the union of the sperm and the fertile egg in the ovary, and upon union sparked the creation of life,and although "it" depends mainly on the woman, it is life that has started to exist but mainly dependent to be nourished and cared for.
@anex08 (868)
I'm not against RH bill, as long as the laws and implementation are humane then there's nothing wrong with it. I believe also that life begins when it has capacity to think on his own and based on our current situation where living children are abandoned and experiencing hardship in life at an early age that might cause further problem while they are growing up, it's better for those parents particularly incapable parents to give up giving birth for soon to be individuals who will literally suffer the cruelty of life.
What is strange in our country is that people who are poor tend to have more children than those who are rich. This may be because they think that their children would lift them up from poverty. But that is not the case. These children, born in the slums of this country, would more likely be illiterate. Yes, there are public shcools every where but the government only covers the direct costs of education. What about their allowance? Their uniforms? Their books? So most likely these choldren would just help their parents beg for alms in the street. And what would you be if you grow up in an environment like the slums? There is a high chance for you to be a criminal. Now you are an additinal cost to the government and an additional threat to all the Filipino people. I really hope this bill will be approved.
In my point of view, we should not care where the hell life begins. When a couple chooses to use contraceptives, would they even think about killing those "bunch of cell clumped together"? NO. Plus, what kind of life would a poor 16 year old girl can give to her child if she decides not to use contraceptives? She would just starve her children, deprive her of education, of fresh air, of clean water. She would even deprive her of youth since her child would probably be helping her begging for alms or collecting pieces of trash. I do not understand why anti-RH people do not see this side of the coin.
Maybe they are just playing blind to the situation. I could still remember that one priest commented, "What overpopulation? There's no overpopulation in the Philippines!", when asked if RH bill is solution to the country's overpopulation problem. Seriously? No population explosion in the Philippines? Where have you been, Father?
Hello there. I happened to watch this GMA NewsTV debate about the RH Bill, which was held last year, if I'm not mistaken. The matter regarding your question was one of the details mentioned in the debate. Bishop Bacani (as I recall) said that life begins right after implantation, or when the fertilized egg begins to stay at the uterus. It has been confirmed by medical experts. However, this doesn't make anything to taint my stance with the RH Bill. Like you, I have been a proponent of this bill ever since the first time I heard it. More so, when I learned more about the bill. I believe this is what our nation needs, among the many other things, to improve the lives of us Filipinos.
So, they did admit that life did not begin at the very start of fertilization since the fertilized egg will have to travel from the fallopian tube to the uterus, then implant itself into the endometrial wall! I strongly believe that the RH bill will drastically decrease the population boom in our country. So, I am in full support for the proponents of this bill, especially Senator Miriam Santiago.