Do you feel comfortable when to find a hotel when you arrive at the destination?

Guangzhou, China
If you will have a travel, do you book the hotel in advance or just find somewhere to live when you arrive at the destination? In the past when I was single, my friends and I liked to choose anywhere to live when we arrived at the destination. So everything could be flexible. Now I have a child and I dare not to do so. I feel nervous if I don't plan it well
I don't travel much now,,, when I was small I used to travel with my parents and they used to book in advance. Once, I remember, Dad had booked at some lodge, but when we reached there, there was some misunderstanding and they didn't give us room there and we had to roam to get an accommodation...
This is what I am afraid.
If I am to travel, I prefer to find a hotel when I already get there, To find a cheaper hotel. Unlike, when one would book a hotel already, That would be one's option since one has already reserved and paid for the stay. But in your case, you have kids with you so maybe It is better to book a hotel already before the flight so that it would be comfortable and easy on your part as well as the kids, but if your children are a little older, You can just find a hotel if you already get there. Have a nice day.
Sometimes I wonder whether the price will be cheaper when I book the hotel room before my travel.
I have always prefered to book in advance and to know when I am going. Now this is a must, because many times I travel alone. But when I was young and traveled with my husband, several times we found the hotel upon arriving. We had some bad experiences due to that, so that I would not recomend it.
If you travel alone, it is OK to find a hotel when you arrive at the destination. Since you can arrange anything flexibly.
It all depends on many things. My grandson is traveling with a backpack through all South America. I wonder where he stays. I am 67 years old and my needs are different. I prefer to book thr lodgings in advance.
I have booked rooms in advance, especially if I knew the place where I was going (usually because I had been there before) and how long I would be staying. Normally, though, I prefer to book rooms when I get to the destination, because then I can see for myself where the place is located, what it looks like, what types of places are around it, etc. This has worked well for the most part, but there has been a time or two where I had to stay in a place that I was not very happy with due to the other places being booked full. On the other hand, if I made a reservation in advance at a place I had never seen, then the same thing could happen.
Sometimes I am worried when I make a reservation to a place I have never been before. I hope that it will be a nice and convenient place.
I also understand what you mean about wanting to make sure that you plan things well, especially since you now have a child. My oldest travels well, so traveling was never an issue with her, and it would be fine to make reservations in advance, especially if it was a long trip and we might need to stop overnight along the way - we could pick a stopping point, make a reservation, and we were all set when we got there. My youngest, on the other hand, has a tendency to get sick when we are traveling, so I never know how long we will be able to be on the road on any given day. That makes it much more difficult to make reservations in advance, even at our intended destination, because it might take a day or two longer to get there than we might expect when we set out on the trip.
@squallming (1777)
I tend to plan everything ahead before traveling or going for a trip. It feels much more safer that way and we know what actually we can expect from the hotel and the surrounding areas. I always book my hotel at least two months in advance to get a better rate and to ensure that the room is not fully booked. I tend to spend days to compare every hotel available in the area and find the relatively cheaper yet quality stay. Once I did not book a hotel in advance and when I actually arrived, I had to search one after one the hotels as many are fully booked. It makes me worry and I feel insecure having to do that. Thus, planning ahead is always a wise thing to do.
Then you shall have a nice travel since you are a good planner.
@Porcospino (17904)
• Denmark
I have tried both things. Sometimes I make a hotel reservation before I leave. If I know that my time is limited it is nice to know that I don't have to walk from place to place in order to find a hotel. I am feel more relaxed when I know that I already have a hotel reservation and I know that I will be able to drop off the bags and start sightseeing straight away. On the other hand I also love to be spontanious and travel without making detailed plans in advance. In 2010 when I travelled around in Europe for one month, I only booked a hotel room for the first night, because I wasn't sure exactly which places I was going to visit and how long I was going to stay at each place. It was very nice to have the freedom to travel like that, but sometimes it was hard to find a hotel room and I wasted some time walking from place to place.
When I was young, I liked to find a hotel when I arrived at the destination.
@TeamCholent (2843)
I have a few credit cards that help me earn travel points so whenever we travel we stay in style. I missed the days of traveling with a group of friends and booking the hotel as you got there and not worrying about the taps in the bathroom. If anything now with a kid you need to plan it a lot more.
Having a travel with a group is convenient and less expensive, but I still prefer to go alone as I like to have freedom.
@Daisy_22 (1230)
I'm still single and I'm into travelling nowadays. What we usually do with our friends is we never book hotels because finding a place to stay will adventure to our vacation...it also give us time to have exploration on the vicinity of the place.
Since you are single and you are free to do anything
@KrauseHome (35034)
Well, when we took our most recent vacation that we actually just came home from, we did book our Hotel originally thru Hotels.com and got a good deal. We even got a better discount than what they offer if you go there in person for 3 night stay. The problem became when our Amtrak train was a lot later than what it was supposed to be to where we ended up having to cancel our reservations, etc. and paid a lot more to stay somewhere. So in reality we still prefer doing it in advance just to make sure there is room, and usually get the Better deals.
The delay can cause many problems.
@jenyenh (205)
• Maldives
I do the same, when I travel for leisure I usually dont book a hotel and just explore the place and ask around. But if I travel with kids, it is recommended that you book in advance to ensure that there are facilities for them, ie..near food supply or water..something basic. and also its better to check the place before you go to know if there are places for kids to enjoy, if its secure for them, etc. Be safe with your travels..
You are right.
I am the type of person who wants to plan ahead. I can understand your feelings about this with a child as well.
This is a good habit.
@maximax8 (28247)
I have a disabled son so I need ground floor accommodation or one with a lift. I like to have a bedroom for three or four people. I might have a double bed and one or two single beds. It was easy to get a dorm bed in my younger days. It wasn't too challenging to get a double room. It is harder to get a family sized room so I like to book ahead. In Rio a hotel booked let me down and all three of us had to sleep in a double bed at a different hotel. So whilst I used to just show up and ask if they have room I am not able to anymore. I adore traveling and like to stay in locally owned guest houses the most.
In fact I appreciate that you can bring two little children to have a travel by yourself. This is not easy. Your children will learn a lot from the travel.
@ptrikha_2 (8286)
I think that my situation now is similar to yours. Indeed, when we are not married and traveling with friends, we do not need to worry much as to the quality of accommodation, or what kind of people are running those. Hence, we do not decide about the accommodation in advance. However, now I do plan and book my itinerary in advance, and make sure by calling at that place too. It is more reliable.
And if I was single, I even would get the cheapest plane ticket and I didn't mind it flies in an inconvenient time.