Romance scams

@Porcospino (17790)
Denmark
Yesterday I was watching some videos on YouTube. The topic of the videos were romance scams. Like the Nigerian lottery scams or inheritance scams the romance scammers try to get money from the victims, but the methods are different. A romance scammer pretends to be in love with his victim and tells the victim the things that they want to hear. After a while the the scammer often tells his victim a sob story about a car accident, a serious illness etc and they ask the victim to help them with the hospital bills. If the victim pays, the scammer keeps on asking for more and more money, and the victim who thinks that they have found the love of their lives often continue to pay. Some romance scammers do it in a different way, but they all pretend to be in live with their victims. I would like to hear about your experience with romance scammers. Have you been contacted by romance scammers? Have you heard or read about people who have become victims of romance scams?
So another top scam joined in 2012 scams list.What type of humans are in cyber planet man? But First time i am listening about this scam.I know some girls who are trapped by some cheaters,But i.e different scenario.
@Porcospino (17790)
• Denmark
I heard on one of the videos that the scammers have invented the romance scams because it was getting harder for them to find people who believe in the lottery scams and the other common scams (a lot of people have heard about those scams today) Now some of them have moved on to romance scams where they pretend to be in love with their victims. The victims don't only lose their money many of them also lose their trust in relationships when they discover that their lover never existed at all. Everything was simply a lie.
The cheater has to spend so many days to fool others in case of girls.But for boys it wont take more time
@anklesmash (1417)
These romance scams are terrible as they target lonely and vulnerable people this i think makes them worse than the other scammees you have listed, i have read a few stories of people meeting like this and losing their life savings and then the scammer moves onto a new victim.The ones i have read about have met their victims online or have targeted them when they have been on holiday alone.I think this scam works because people who are usually sensible and have a lot of common sense convince themselves they have nothing to worry about as they want to be happy which is understandable as we all want to be happy.
@Porcospino (17790)
• Denmark
That is true. I also think that the romance scams are worse than than the other scams. Victims of the other scams "only" lose their money but the victims of romance scams also lose the person that they thought was the love of their life. It must be really painful to discover that the future that they have dreamed about was nothing but a lie and that the other person didn't mean a single word. I think that is especially hard for people who are already lonely and vulnerable. Yes, it is understandable that they want to believe in it, they want love and happiness just like anyone else, and sometimes the scammer spends a lot time building up the "relationship" and the victims believe that they have found the person that they have always been looking for.
@sender621 (14956)
There are so many people everywhere that are trying to run some kind of scam on someone. i am not surprised that romance scams exist. fortunately, i have never been a victim of one and i hope I never am. Heartbreak is bad enough in romance without someone trying to make a profit from it as well.
@Porcospino (17790)
• Denmark
That is true. It is already painful to lose the person that you love, but those women don't just lose the relationship that they thought that they had they also lose their savings when they send money to their lover who is actually a scammer. It must be very painful for the women to discover that the "boyfriend" was in love with their wallets and not their personalities. I haven't been in that situation, but it is easy for me to imagine how bad their feel when they discover the truth. Some of the those women have have been in touch with their "boyfriends" for several years when they finally discover the truth.
@katie0 (5212)
• Japan
I read about it. I'm in this language exchange site where many talks about these romance scams on their profiles, I read about it and a girl told about her story of sending the money to the 'love' of her life so he could come visit her, he showed to be rich so he wouldn't need, it's all psychological: she thought he had enough money so after talking for a long time, romancing (while she had a real fiancé so she kind of deserved) he suddenly asks for money when he is comming, it's all very accidental, he lost his credit card at the airport and just need a little to end the trip...never heard of him again. But I was reading cause she copy+paste all his emails, I can't believe someone would fall for his 'romance', he was so cheesy and whatever he talked about it was poem like, it was a comedy and I guess she was really, but really naive to fall in love for that words.
@Porcospino (17790)
• Denmark
I have heard similar stories before. I mean scammers who ask for money in order to visit their lovers. One girl that I read about was devastated when her "boyfriend" didn't show up at the airport after she had sent him the money for ticket. He never intended come, it was just a trick to get her money. I am sure that the lover of the girl that you mentioned never intended to come either. I have never had a relationship with a scammer, but I must admit that I find it hard to understand what those girls didn't see the red flags and just believed in the things were told.