Life extension technology would it make our planet over populated?

Calgary, Alberta
Currently scientist are trying to make technologies to make human life longer than the normal lifespan, as technology progresses and cures for diseases where found, human lifespan gets longer, would this make our planet over populated? some say it wont cos only rich people will be able to afford the treatments and people under poverty wont be able to do so. Some say making humans have a longer lifespan will make our population bloated, cos less people will die. some say if human have longer lifespan, people will choose to have less children cos they will have more goals in life to try achieving. Would life extension be good for humanity?
What's happening right now, with what longevity milestones we have achieved, is that the population is aging. There are more older people than there are young to support them. I think if the trend continues, more people will have less children because that is what tends to happen in developed countries as opposed to developing countries where people typically die fairly young and have lots of children. Which will put the population out of balance, with there being more older people than there are young people.
• Calgary, Alberta
and those rich countries where less people have babies will be taken over by immigrants from developing countries with huge population. Kinda like what is happening in Sweden. Immigrants are making more babies than locals but soon I think those immigrants will have less children soon as they assimilate.
Yeah, I think we can get an idea of what the future will look like just watching current trends.
• Calgary, Alberta
couples with 12 children is like a norm in my country, usually though its families who lives in poverty who makes a lot of children. rich and middle class couples are way too career oriented to have more than 1 child.
@thesids (22358)
• Bhubaneswar, India
Hiya captain The little study and resarch I do from my computer and Internet, I feel that there is no time when we will be - illness free world. A few years ago, there was no cancer or AIDS and we were all happy that there are no more killer diseases... but we were proved wrong and AIDS and Cancer cropped up. Now we have Hepatitis and many more. The same would happen when we would have found the 100% guaranteed and affordable cures to these diseases. That said, the extension life theory might not be good for all. It doesnt say what about people who are already suffering! And one can never be sure if s/he would not be affected by new ailments. I am not in for the life extension theory - for some it might be wonders but definitely not for me right now... they have no cures for my ailments so I would not like live longer with the ailments with me
• Calgary, Alberta
so you think a new disease will come once Cancer,Aids and diabetes finds cure? Stem cell research might be helpful to your current health problems right now but its way too expensive but it had been able to make blind people see, wrinkly people look young, cancer patients got cured and now they were developing to create replacement organs for humans.
@thesids (22358)
• Bhubaneswar, India
Yup I am quite certain for the new illness to come up. The medical fraternity cannot live without research today and those people know some more horrible terms for sure... so they would spill those terms off once others would have found the successful cures to cancers and others
• Calgary, Alberta
The life extension technology anyway is not marketed to avarage people, its marketed to rich people. Stemcell therapy works but its way too expensive. I was saving money right now cos I want to afford it regularly someday,speaking of new diseases, there is an outbreak in a small town in my country.
@surfer222 (1715)
I think weather it would make our planet over populated or not is depend on weather the person who choose a longer lifespan choose to have kids or not. If they were not having kids then they're not contributing to adding more people into this planet, so i think no, or at least not directly. I hope that if such technology were invented, we can make rules that the only people who can use the technology are the people who choose not to have kids, that way it won't make our planet over populated. Weather it's good for humanity or not is also depend on the person who use the technology. If i had the opportunity to use a longer lifespan technology i would be interested in exploring other planets rather than just sit here on earth.
• Calgary, Alberta
It seemed like having kids maybe at the bottom of a person who have a long span's priority, first that person is rich enough to afford the technology, the technology is kinda affodable now and only rich people can afford it. and if their lifespan is like 500 years old , it will frustrate kids and grand kids who wanted inheritance.
@ShepherdSpy (8562)
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
I feel Living longer isn't exactly what people would be wanting as a priority,unless something could be done to rejuvenate the body first! Why would you want to live much past 100 if you were in constant arthritic pain or discomfort or suffering from a selection of maturity onset related diseases? Life is about time with friends and family...Have you seen "The Green Mile"?
• Calgary, Alberta
By far there is a technology the technology to fight aging seemed to be in process, soon a 80 year old person may look like a 20 year old. The fact we already have 50 year old people who look like on their 20's is a sign. My uncle can run fast again after he have stemcell treatments on his joins. at certain point in history, 39 is the limit of human lifespan, and as technologies got discovered,it seemed to get longer.
Right Albert, you made the point I was going to make. You beat me to it. We already HAVE had a life extension implemented in history. You are correct 40 at one time in history used to be a long life. Back in the middle ages I think 17 was considered long by some ha ha. Yes there are some who look young today, I myself pass for 20 at nearly 45. But the general population is getting unhealthier by the year and many people are morbidly obese. I am constantly seeing reports on this, on the internet, television and tons of documentaries. It's not a myth. For all those people who stay super young a much higher percentage will continue live badly and die young. With all the nutrition information, doctors and gyms what still makes people eat badly and not exercise? It's going to even out if not slant the wrong way.
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
We have gone from "Survival of the fittest" to "Survival of the fattest"...Life used to be about manual work -now work and leisure tends towards the sedentary...not good for our longevity,and definitely not good for our health...
@mspitot (3833)
Hmmm....I think that is too much cause we are getting in too much to the work of nature and God.
• Calgary, Alberta
I am not going to heaven anyway, so I will just extend my life(hope I can afford it) before my trip to hell. if we rely too much on to God, no person will get to live to 50 years old. science is the reason why people lives longer now. Scientist and doctors are not religious, so yeah they care more for curing diseases and ending suffering.
@mspitot (3833)
Why fight nature? We are already populated and many people don't have food to eat....
• Calgary, Alberta
actually countries with better healthcare, are less populated than countries with bad health care, countries with bad health care have more population. Also countries where people live longer, are actually less populated...
@lampar (7597)
Probably not by life extension technology. An over populated world may become possible only by the unrestrained child birth in some countries where government consistently promote more and more children in a family and use financial and non financial incentives to encourage couple to produce more kids with no limit insight. Then an over populated world may become a near distant reality.
• Calgary, Alberta
I just realized the countries with the longest lifepspans have small populations. I guess people with longer lives will prioritize having kids the least.
@stealthy (8188)
The planet is already rapidly becoming over populated. It is already leading to hunger, species die out and global warming. But if people are like me, they will want to live longer as long as good health goes along with it. I am in my mid-sixties and there are many things that I would still like to do and some of them can't really be done in just a few years. This is one reason that I think the governments of the world are making a huge mistake by not putting as much effort and resources into advancing mankind into space so that we would have more space and resources for the future.
• Calgary, Alberta
in Theory if we mine the minerals and metals of the asteroid belt (which is very unlimited) The earth will be saved, we know mining harms out planet. we will just get the resources out of those asteroids. Oh also we can make spaceships bigger than the earth, those spaceships will have an earth like environment inside, people can plant crops , have cities and countries. we can also colonize Mars and the moons of Jupiter.