I let the kids make dinner tonight..

I bought a few boxes of frozen garlic toast and some pizza fixings. I showed the kids how to put sauce and cheese on the garlic toast and whatever toppings they wanted. Then I put the first batch in the oven and let the kids make the rest of the garlic toast however they wanted. It did make a bit of a mess, but it was fun for the kids and less work for me! It also tasted pretty good! When was the last time you let the kids make dinner? Do you make little garlic bread pizzas or english muffin pizzas?
@Suzieqmom (2763)
I have done that a couple of times, but not as much as I should--it really is a great idea, and fun for the kids, too. Thanks for reminding me--I shall let me kids make a few dinners over the next couple of weeks. They love English muffin pizzas, so it's all good!
We do the english muffin pizzas regularly, but something made me think of doing garlic bread pizza, so tonight was the first time we tried it. It was very good.
@Suzieqmom (2763)
We sometimes do "regular" pizza too (on a pre-made pizza crust), but I have never tried the garlic bread variety. We will have to try that too!
@coffeebreak (17824)
English muggins can be for alot of things.. pizza, and I like bacon and cheese melted on top... or add some ham and the cheese!
@lilybug (21182)
Pizza Hut now has a garlic bread pizza I wanted to try, but I have not done it yet. I might just have to take your idea and make some at home. My son can cook simple things like mac and cheese, ramen noodles and spaghetti, but he does not venture too far past that. He just got back from being out of state for 3 1/2 weeks, so it has been awhile since he cooked for us.
That's what gave me the idea. Pizza Hut's may have tasted better than ours, but ours were cheaper and more fun!
@coffeebreak (17824)
Thats great to encourage and teach the kids how to cook and all. Nothing worse than them going on their own and not knowing how to boil water! I tried so hard with my daughter but she just hated the kitchen. When she got married...she didn't know you could boil water in the microwave and just used hot tap water to make jello!
I think water takes longer to boil in the microwave.. I grew up mostly using the stove because microwaves weren't so popular back then and far too expensive. I mostly use the microwave for reheating or for frozen meals.
@salonga (27839)
Various kiddie meal - Homemade by my kids
I let the kids take part in the kitchen although they almost always create some mess in my kitchen but anyway I really don't mind. That's part of learning. Actually when they are home I oftentimes let them help me in the kitchen even by simply cutting or peeling veggies or fruits. I think they should be given tasks like this. It is one way of teaching them how to be responsible kids. At least they could prepare sandwiches, make their own pancakes and yes they also do put toppings on pizza and a lot of easy kitchen tasks.
• Marion, Kansas
I have done it with English muffins but honestly I am sure the garlic bread tastes better. I have grandkids and the last time I saw them the three year old helped me cut and peel canteloupe, water melon and cucumbers.
I don't always have the patience to let the kids help.. but for this one it was almost a given that they should do it themselves. Normally my way of letting them help is telling them what ingredients to grab for me while they watch me put it all together.
• Marion, Kansas
My dad had six sisters so each of the seven kids had their own day to help. I am borrowing your garlic toast idea sometime next week for build your own pizzas.
I have friends who do that also. One of my friends had 4 girls and they took turns cleaning up after dinner. I suppose now that my twins are older I could do that also. My way of dividing things is giving each person their own chores. Each of the older kids are responsible for a different room. We tried rotating each week, but that didn't work out too well.
I bet that was interesting, how old are your kids? I was visiting my dads one day and my 7 year old step brother, asked me if i wanted nachos and he had the microwave running i was like how does he know how to cook? and here he did they were actually pretty good.
The kids that were making the pizzas were 4, 6, 9 and 9. They use the toaster and microwave too, but never the stove.
They must have had a lot of fun, when i was a kid i loved to cook.
@asdomencil (4276)
It is nice to have our kids participate in cooking and other household chores. This will not only give parents rest but it will help thm also boost their self confidence. I remember when I was about 6 or 7, I was the one asking my mother to cook for our dinner. I really love cooking until now.
@coffeebreak (17824)
I always was a baker and when my grand daughter was 3...she got into it too! That year for Christmas I made sugar cookies quite often and she had the recipe memorized and did EVERYTHING except the oven/hot parts! She was amazing! And she even decorated them with piped icing and sprinkles! She was so easy to teach..she just watched and then did it herself!
Amzing for a three-year old kid to know how to bake even a simple cookies. Maybe my son will be the same with her because he really likes to be in the kitchen watching me a I cook.
@ANTIQUELADY (36491)
Good for u. I think all mothers should teach their children to cook. Doesn't make any difference if they are boys or girls.
They'll all eventually have to cook for themselves, might as well start them early.
@ANTIQUELADY (36491)
i agree.
@GreenMoo (11842)
My eldest is a pretty good cook and cooks for us when the urge takes him. Yesterday he did pizzas from scratch for six, including the dough. I'm pretty proud of him because I can't often be bothered to do that myself. It's great that he enjoys it so much.
That is great! Mine won't go that far. I ask him to make boxed mac n cheese and it's as if I'm asking him to make a gourmet meal!
@jillhill (37354)
My granddaughter and I made pizza from scratch...she loves doing it. We however used the box mix and left the dough raise etc. Then she got to put on the toppings. She is seven now....and doing any cooking or baking is what she loves to do....its her favorite thing to do at grandma's!
It's great that she's learning. Make sure you have some of her favorite recipes to pass down to her. That's one of the many things I miss about my foster mom is some of the meals we used to have when I was young. I've tried to make some of the things from memory but they didn't turn out the same. I wish she were around so I could ask her how she made it.. but I'll never have that chance. I'm glad I did manage to get a couple recipes off her before she passed.
I've done the English muffin ones since I was in grade school. I don't know that I had ever made it with garlic bread. I'd be afraid to try it now seeing garlic hates me, but I like it. We made bubble pizza the other week, basically make your own pizza except you use pillsbury biscuits as the crust and make your own.
That's a good idea. We never tried it on Pillsbury biscuits. Do you cook the biscuits first or just spread them out like raw dough?
@Opal26 (17694)
Hey kats! I think that sounds like alot of fun for you and the kids! I used to make pizzas out of English Muffins, although it was just for myself. It's a fast and easy way to make dinner and the kids get to "pick" what they want so they can feel "proud" of their creations and also not complain because they did it themselves!
We used to do english muffin pizzas as just a snack.
My daughter helps me with dinner almost every night but my son only helps on occasion. She just loves cooking and baking so I try to involve her in as much as I can but my son only seems to want to help with the good baking stuff where he can lick the spoon or bowl. Haha! We had made macaroni and cheese with dinner tonight and I let her make it on her own...smalls things like that inlet them do but nothing to big not yet at least. We always make crescent pizzas or bagel pizzas and we just let them make their own with toppings of their choice.
My son isn't really interested either, but on nights I work late he will usually cook dinner himself, especially if there's something he wants to do when I get home, such as go to his soccer practice or to the pool.
That's really cool. When I would have a slumber party my mom always got us some English muffins and then let us put on whatever kind of toppings we wanted. I wasn't really crazy about the taste of the English muffins, but they were just fun to make as a child.
SnuggleBunnies had the idea of using Pillsbury biscuits.. that's probably really good. Bet you can't wait till your niece is old enough to do this stuff with!
@ANTIQUELADY (36491)
I HAVE NEVER MADE THEM, BUT KNOW i would like them bet my grands would to.
It would be something fun to do with them some day.
I don't make any of those you made. I let her cook curried fried chicken for us and it was great. she is not a fan of cooking though.
@coffeebreak (17824)
I started my kids on boxed mac and cheese! In our day, we didnt have a microwave yet so it was all from box or scratch. But I figured start out simple and my son took to it, but my daughter didn't!
I don't have kids yet (except for the furry variety, and I don't really want for them to be getting too "helpful" in the kitchen). However, when I do finally have them, I plan to get them started in the kitchen early on--teach them how to make things from scratch like their Mommy. My mother never really wanted for me to touch anything in her kitchen, so I didn't actually learn how to prepare things from scratch until I'd graduated from college and was living away from her. I am, thankfully, a good cook (far better than my mother), but I can only imagine how much better I would be if I would have had an early start.
I started young. I got to help measure and such when I was little, then I started helping with peeling and chopping. Finally when I was around 14 I was taught how to make easy things like grilled cheese or my favorite dishes like sweet and sour chicken. My oldest is 15 and he knows how to make a lot of different meals. A few years ago I started letting him stir things while they cooked, now he can make whole meals by himself. My younger ones are proud of themselves for the fact that they created their own "recipe" of toast with cheese (they use the toaster, not the stove).
@DoctorDidi (7030)
I never allowed my daughter when she was a kid to do any sort of household jobs. But now I realise that I did it wrong. Every kid would be a responsible family person in future life and so he or she needs to be trained accordingly. If they are allowed to do these small things in the family, they would be better prepared to make themselves as successful family persons.
@bounce58 (17550)
It's always a struggle for me to come up with ideas on what to serve the kids for dinner. If it were just me, I would be content with eating one sandwich over and over again, every night. I haven't had the chance to let the kids prepare dinner. But this topic did give me a dinner-idea. Thanks Kat!
@ptrikha_2 (5366)
That was great. I think, if we can control our minds a bit, we must let our children participate in such things. My kids are very small right now. Yet, when they will be nearly 10 years or so, I will start having them try out things in the kitchen, and let their interests aroused in experimenting. That would be a great fun and a learning experience.