Mixing up the Dates

At the beginning of the month my husband and I had a discussion about taking time off at the end of the month. The dates he took off from work were the 26th and 27th. I questioned why he took those days off. He got a little riled when I asked him and said that I best have taken them off too. I again questioned why. He said, well our anniversary is the 26th. Um, no, it is the 23rd. So I had to adjust my schedule by seeing if the 26th was available as only 2 people can be out on any given day for vacation. Thankfully it was open. The next problem was finding someone to work my weekend. I work every-other-weekend and if we want to take it off we need to find someone willing to work it for us. I was able to find a co-worker willing to work it for me. All set, or so I thought. A few weeks later he tells me that he has to work half a day on the 28th. It is a mandatory training. So once again our efforts to have a decent vacation have failed. And, if that isn't enough, he tells me that he may not have the time off he asked for. Good Grief! So instead of swallowing a bitter pill, we are making the best of it and looking for fun things to do that are close to home and don't cost a lot of money. What would you do in this situation?
• Marion, Kansas
I would probably laugh, first. Then enjoy as many small excursions as I could squeeze in. I can think of quite a list around here. And if you do not go somewhere where you have to rent a motel, you have that much more fun money to spend on an actual activity.
We actually enjoy camping and have a couple of spots that are free. One is near the water and we can take the boat out and go fishing.
@MsTickle (25007)
A lot of times the best laid plans can and do go wrong. Doing things on the spur of the moment can be just as magical as a planned get away. Keep your options open always and look out for those opportunities that come your way. Then there can be more special dates you can get confused about in years to come.
I was talking with one of my friends yesterday and she said she and her husband never remember their anniversary!
@jillhill (37354)
I would do the same.....make the best of the situation. Sometimes those little trips are alot better then long ones....hopefully in the near future you can get together and get a nice vacation....so now you have even more to look forward to!
We hopefully will venture south before the year is over. It is a vacation we have discussed many times.
@Thoroughrob (11771)
That sounds like my husband. He cannot get a day off, they approve it, and then take it away. I would just do what you are doing. It is a shame that you cannot make plans to get away.
We are shooting for late fall or perhaps in December to get away for a week.
@JenInTN (27565)
That stinks. Sometimes, not matter how much you try, it doesn't work out. Maybe you could reschedule it all together and do it in August. That way you would still have your vacation together. I guess it would be hard to do after all that preparation though.
We just went with it and did little things close to home. Less expensive that way. It wasn't a total loss. We did enjoy relaxing together.
@blue65packer (11835)
That would drive my crazy! When someone does that to me I think they have very select hearing which to me is selfishness,the man doesn't care and other things like that! This is one of the many reason's I never had a lasting relationship! Was never taught about men and their listening skills! Men are not worth the time! At least for me! This is why I don't date anymore and will never get married! men aren't for me! To look at,yes! the rest,no!
I pick and choose my battles. For the most part he is really a wonderful man. But very forgetful!
@ElicBxn (60183)
I try to enjoy whatever I'm doing. Even if its just sitting at home with a DVD in the machine, it can be made more special by who is there and stuff. A nice meal, a nice visit with a friend (in your case your husband I'd hope) and then some time alone on the couch (okay, I don't have a couch, but sitting next to my guy friend "J") while watching a movie we all enjoy... Or, back when I was younger and healthier, taking a walk with a friend, visiting and enjoying where we were at.
Just being together was enough. We went fishing and relaxed!
@ANTIQUELADY (36491)
GOOD GRIEF is right. Sorry your plans got so messed up. Good for y'all for making the best of it.I would try to make the best of it to. Good luck & have fun.
We did have fun even though we stayed home and went fishing at the local lakes.
hi elusivebutterfly I would go to the beach if theres one near you or head for the hills where it would be cooler. Also there are usually some fun things for adults to do at your local library but head fos someclose that you love to visit something uyou dont get to do very often and is not expensive. here I am six miles from the lovely Pacific so would open to go b each walking and shell' hunting and eat at Charlies chili the best chili in the whole wold.
We had hoped to go to the beach. But alas, it isn't in the cards this time around.
If it were me, I would find a nice B&B nearby and stay there for a couple of days. If my guy behaved well enough, I might even let him come along. I'm joking, of course, about the latter part. However, I am serious about the idea of booking a room at a B&B for a couple days. It would be a good getaway for you and your husband, and it would be fairly inexpensive (unless, of course, you live in a really touristy area). Or, if you're more the outdoorsy type, you could go camping at a nearby campground. However, that isn't romantic the way that the B&B would be.
We ended up staying home as it rained most of the time. I have never stayed at a B&B and doubt my husband would ever stay at one. We are more the outdoorsy type and love camping. Now to find good weather to do so!