Travelling on airplanes

Australia
What's the best way of dealing with this? I've only been on short trips in places, about to go to the other side of the world, I hate flying, ARRRGH! I get bored and scared.
• Bridgton, Maine
I've never felt fear when flying. Why? Because experts say that the chances of getting maimed or killed in a car accident is higher than getting hurt or killed in a plane crash, as you're more likely to get into an accident while in a car than flying. I have no fear of driving or riding in a vehicle. So, with that said, why should I fear flying?
@maximax8 (27979)
I think you need to fly to more places and so you start of feel safer in the air on planes. You could take a book to read on a long flight and a magazine to read on a short flight. You should listen to a personal music player in flight to calm your nerves. I suggest count those hours down as the journey progresses. Good luck.
@bent31 (86)
The best way? It really depends on the person. If you like to read books, you should bring some on the plane. If you like movies, you can bring a portable DVD player. If you like video games, you can bring a PSP, Nintendo DS, or any other portable gaming system. Or, you could do what I do... Sleep! Sleeping, in my opinion is the best way to remove your fear and you won't even feel a thing! I had to go through a 17 hour flight (21 hours in total) and all I did was sleep and eat! LOL. Have a safe trip!
@tomom11 (15)
There are many different ways to get over phobias be it flying or something very small. If you were to fly more regular you would forget your in the air on a airplane. Take a few movies with you to watch on a portable dvd player and a few board games to play and the time will fly by.