Why Do People Think Marriage Is About Love?

@mythociate (14989)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
God said, "I will make (the man) a help-mate." Not 'a lover,' not 'an adorer,' not 'someone to co-star in the chick-flick his life shall become': a help-mate---someone to complete the pair needed for either part of the couple to serve 'God's purpose' (and what is that purpose? I don't think I'll know until either I'm a grandfather or the required parts of my body dry into uselessness.) Granted, marriage does make the people hang-around with each other all the time---something much-more-enjoyable when the people 'love' each-other (rather than 'ignore' each other ... and the opposite of 'love' IS NOT 'hate,' but rather is 'indifference'); but they both should love EVERYTHING (in the way that everything should be loved---loving friends as friends, family as family, each other as spouses, etc.)
@nyssa102 (748)
Our family was different. Marriage was all about love, never any other reason. We had tons of 'soul mate' stories in our family, all based on love. I was fortunate to grow up and see people that really loved one another. There is no other reason to marry but for love. If you wish a help mate, then get a maid. Then again, I am not a Christian. I like being a panthiest, so we do tend not be ruled by books or gods. We rule ourselves, our feelings and our beliefs. So, for people such as myself, there is no other reason to marry but love. Might as well just get a job and hire a maid. Then again, like I said, I did grow up around people whose lives were very romantic. Whenever we meet with my cousin, who found his soul mate, there is always fond talk about such things. We often wonder why others do not feel the same way. But then again, it depends on your outlook, it's all good, what ever works for you :)
@mythociate (14989)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
And we awakened ones are glad you're enjoying pleasant dreams
@Metatronik (5910)
• Pasay, Philippines
What bothers me is that when other couples are fighting in routine manner and sometimes it makes me think that they are not lovers but enemies. Something like the wife would be afraid of something about her husband. Instead of treating each other like friends then it was like the other one is superior. I don't like that.
@mythociate (14989)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Like when your mom makes you go to your room; and you go in there & have been in there for half-an-hour, and she won't let you out Does that make your mom your enemy? No! She keeps you locked in your room because she loves you! I know you're probably grown-up already, but couples fight for the same reason mothers punish.
@riyauro (6430)
God made man and gave him a helper, then he did not tell to get married.lol like you said not a lover but helper and that way he did not say marriage, he said help mate. So in this way marriage and love doesn't connect to god and helper as in your discussion. lol Give it a think. Hope you getting me.
@mythociate (14989)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I get you. The man-made commentary the Bible gives goes on to say 'this is why man & woman leave their parents to cleave to one another as one flesh' or whatever. The only other place I can think of where 'God' says something about marriage is when He (Jesus) talks about the only good reason for a man to break-up with his wife is adultery ... Of course, He doesn't say anything about 'whether they LIKE each-other or not
@peavey (16306)
I think marriage has been romanticized to the point that people think that's what it's all about. Our society today is "wallowing in fantasy" as I read recently. There is little of reality in expectations and that may be because we're so enamored with fictionalized life on TV and in the movies that we don't recognize reality any more.
@mythociate (14989)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
agreed (typed a whole 'thing,' it didn't post, too lazy to type it again)
hi mythociate, I don't think so sometimes Marriage is about culture and tradition Sometimes it means assurance and future security People who knows what love is and can love one another doesn't need to get married cause this is just a matrimonial and legality just an opinion happy mylotting
@jaiho2009 (39021)
Not everyone consider marriage is all about love. As we all know there are country who observe arrange marriage-wherein two people haven't seen each other but has to agree with the marriage arranged by family/relatives and people around them. What makes marriage famous for lovers? I guess it's the business-....see how people get married-spending money on lavish, grand wedding- and later what?... some ended on separation/divorce. So who says that marriage is all about love? - those who believed in it. Couples can live without marriage although the so-called righteous society condemned this situation. But this so-called righteous people never condemned those people who get married in church 2x,3x,4x and so on...-lols..