What is the best way to move myfish tank..

I was thinking of pouring out most of the water and leaving the fish tank with the fish inside of it. but,if thefish have a little bit of water in it they can't run from the turtle that will try to eat them. I am so shocked they are still alive now. The turtle causght the others and ate them. I can't catch the fish with the net to putthem in a bag to travel with them. Or I can take the turle out and putit in something else.like my bag..
I would break it all down. Take the fish out and put them in some of the water from the tank. Into something small for the short time. Then break down the rest of the tank and the things inside. Clean it all for a fresh new start at the new place. I wouldn't do this until the night before or real close to the actual move.
The problem is I just cleaned out that tank a few days ago. I don't know how much more cleaning the fish can manage. I will ask adrian if he would do this. he would not mind at all. Thanks so much..
Well then no need to clean it. I just thought this would be a convenient time to do so if it hadn't been done in a while. I would just break it all down and move it then.Ya, Adrian wouldn't mind.
@ajithlal (14569)
I think most probably you should try to put the fish in a bucket and clean the fish tank after it.
@nyssa102 (748)
I'll tell you how I do it. I take the bus, as I have no car. When I wish to purchase a fish from the fish store for my tank, I have a Sterilite container. www.sterilite.com These are made from a plastic that is fish safe. Many fish fanciers use sterilite to move their fish. Sterilite containers sometimes have tops that lock. So, what I do, for moving the fish is that they are put in plastic bags at the pet store, and then I put the bag in the sterilite container with the locking top. This way, if the bag breaks, the fish will still survive inside the container. Also, do the same for the turtle. I loved my turtles! in order to keep the tank clean, I would always take them out and feed them in a sterilite container. That way they would eat and poop in their 'diner' container, and their decorative tank would remain very clean for a long time. It's a good idea for lizards or turtles, if you feed them in a separate container. Believe it or not, I used to do the same with my goldfish and betta. Goldfish and betta are VERY smart fish. to keep the tank clean, I just scooped them up and put them in their 'feeder' tank. They ate there, and then I put them back. Not a lot of work, actually. The fish get used to you and actually wait for the handling. I did this for my fish, Henry and Ann when I was little, in grade/high school. Henry lived over 20 years with me, and he was hand trained. Believe it or not, they actually have goldfish training sets out now they are so smart. www.hammacher.com has the fish sets.
I moved the turtle to a bowl and fed it a few times like that. It made a mess in the bowl and the water was a mess to clean up.I will findanother tank for the turtle because the fish are eating his food.
@bjc66bjc (6745)
The suggestions of moving your fish are just what I would do.. I just want to add this..transport the fish in a large zip-lock bag on the night you are taking the tank to their new address.. LOL,,,but just pur back the rocks after washing them clean...then refill the tank with water and don't dump the fish in at that stage, lay the zip=locked bag with the fish in it on top of the water for a while so the water and fish could adjust to the tempertature of the new water... Since you can't catch the fish with the nets, just call me and I will help you...i also have a large zip=locked bag for your fish... I miss you already....lol...
I sure do need that bag too. I ran out of them long time ago.
@asliah (11148)
hi, i have an aquarium before with two fish and and one turtle,so for me when i clean my tank the best way to move my fish tank is to reduce or lessen the water first and even the displays like corals and stone so that the tank will be easily to hold it up and move.
Our fish was given to us from a friend of mine that lives about sixty miles away. The way that we moved him was that we used a small glass bowl and filled that up with water for him. Then, as we were driving home, I held him in my lap as we were driving. Then, when we got him home, we made some fresh water for him in the tank that we had for him and let him stay in the glass bowl until the water had been treated and the water had reached room temperature.
@ajithlal (14569)
I think most probably you should most probably you should try to take the water after taking the fishes in a bag or a small bowel. I think you should try to make a bigger tank if it is possible so that you can put the net in the fish tank and take it into the smaller tank in the future. I would also suggest you to put the turtle in another tank.
I think the easiest way to move it would be to empty the tank putting the fish in a container with some water from the tank and then do the same for your turtle. Then empty out the tank of water and move it into your new place. I think if you decide to move the tank with the water still in and the filters not plugged in and running it will make your tank dirtier faster without the cleaners going.
@suzzy3 (8357)
Hi Gift,put your fish in a plastic container and empty your fish tank completly or it will be to heavy to move with water in it and it will swill up one end.You will have one big mess to clear up and the shock will kill your fish.Good luck .
@sedel1027 (17854)
We have moved fish a few times and have always put the fish in a cooler with a small pump. I would do that and leave the turtle in the tank.
Unless I'm wrong, that turtle is doing a poor job of being a herbivor. You should just seperate the fishes from the turtle. Put the turtle in your bag, I'd say.
@dismalgrin (2535)
I have never moved fish before. My first fish that I bought I figured I'd just flush them, but I had a sucker fish and it stuck to the side of the toilet bowl and my suite mate walked into the bathroom and ran out shrieking! It was funny but, I wish I had taken the fish with me. And I'd give anything to have a pet now. But, that's life. Right?
Where are you moving? To a new home? do you have to drive to move them, or are you just moving them to a new room? I'm going to assume you are moving to a new home and you actually have to transport them in a vehicle. I don't think you have to dismantle the fish tank to move it (as long as it can fit in the back seat of your car/ whatever vehicle you have) but I do think it should be empty of all the water and living things in it. Do you have a bucket or something like that for your turtle to go in? Don't fill it too high, just enough water to reach about halfway up his shell, maybe more (make sure he can stick his head out of the water without having to swim up). That's fine for just transporting, and you don't want him to drown! As for the fish, I say get a little bowl for them that someone can hold while you drive. Fish are delicate and a stressful car ride could kill them. And in a large tank in the backseat of a car would be stressful! It would push them around a lot. And I read that you can't catch them with the net...just get everything you have in the tank out (and rock caves or anything) and remove most of the water (after the turtle is out so he doesn't eat them!) With less water and no hiding spots it'll be easier to catch them! Then just fill up a little bowl with water and you're set! But make sure it's not a bowl they can jump out of!!! Fish are good jumpers, and don't fill the water up too high, only about halfway, that should be okay for the fish just for transport. By the way...how long do you expect the drive to be? Good luck!
@jazel_juan (15767)
Well my brother-in-law have a big fish tank too..when they would clean it or transfer it, they would first catch the fish and put it in individual pails, or a big pail that would fit them all, they have goldfishes and angel fishes.. then they would transfer the tank or clean the tank.. they also have turtles but well the turtles do not eat the fish though..