Did you want help unpacking when you moved??

I just got a phone call from my depressed friend. She wants to come by and help me unpack my house. I don't think I want help unpackingmy boxes. I am thinking it will be some stuff that I will not know where to put at thetimeofme moving in. So,I am thinking of just having her come over and just do the kitchen for me and that should help here feel better. I can always redo it at a later time. I just don't want open boxes all over the place.
@bjc66bjc (6745)
Well it seems like your friend just wants to be around you,, I don;t like people in my things either,,I can imagine a day later looking for something someone else has put somewhere...I just don't think its a good idea, but what harm can come from her helping to put dishes in the cabinets once you tell her where you want everything.. I hope she feels better after spending some time with you..you do have a healing spirit about you especially to those that resally know you....
She is going to do the kitchen by herself and later I will go and fix it my way. This way I can focus on the rest of the house and she will feel better about her situation.
@lelin1123 (15643)
• Puerto Rico
Exactly, I totally agree with you. When I moved from New York to New Mexico I did not what help either. I wouldn't want anyone going through my stuff first of all. I know where I want to put things and its easier to do it myself. If someone else is helping they will be constantly asking me where to put this or that. Or just making it a mess because all of the boxes will be unpacked with stuff all over the place.. I rather go at my pace and unpack one box at a time. Even when I moved from New Mexico to Puerto Rico I unpacked my own stuff again.
This is why I am going to have her fix up the kitchen and I can go behind her later and put things where I want them. I understand her situation and would not mind her coming over. But,I really want to take my time and unpack as i need to. A part of me felt like I was being selfish about this.now I see I am not. thanks.
@mikyung (2234)
Usually, I don't need any help in unpacking especially my stuff, so I can place them and know the whereabouts of my stuff when the time I need arises. But for cases like helping a depressed friend, that would be a welcome idea for me. It feels good to help a friend in need. Thanks
That sounds like a good thing to help her out. I will hope and pray to be moved out and in the new place tomorrow.
@mikyung (2234)
Good luck to you. Stay safe.
Thanks very much..
@alberello (4755)
Well, from my point of view, your friend is depressed and wants to come to you for help, because his mind will distract, and therefore should stay psychologically better. Everyone I know who suffer from this "beast" of illness that is depression, theyr doctor will always recommend them to open up to others, and never cut themselves. I will recommend this: Make your depressed friend to come to your house, let him do what he is grateful, you will help him!
THat will make her feel much better about her situation as well.
@Raine38 (9193)
That makes the two of us. I want to be the one to unpack and decide on each of my boxes. I may sound so...uptight but there are some stuff in my boxes that are not meant to be seen by others. I just feel like so exposed if someone else is sorting through my belongings. Of course let's not forget that the person helping will ask some questions pertaining to an item that they just opened and to be honest I want none of that. Maybe it's just me but I appreciate the help in unloading the boxes and carrying them inside the house, maybe even clean up. But in opening them, I wanna do it solo. Well, my husband may help me. Of course he should. :)
Adrian did noteven help me pack my boxes. I don't know what I will do when she comes to help me.
@911Ricki (13602)
I dont like people touching my things, so I wouldnt like people touhing it, and going through it. But she seems like she wants to help, and have something to do.
I did not have help packing them and would not mind no help unpacking them. I will think of something.
@asliah (11148)
hi, if i move someday of course i wanted to have a friend or who ever she/he is to help me to unpack those things but of course the people should i know or been close to me for so long because now a days its really hard to trust people you don't know.
When I moved for the second time I think it would have been nice to have a friend help me out but at the same time doing it by myself was easy because I knew where I wanted things to be put.
@suzzy3 (8357)
Just say thanks alot but you have enough help for now but if things change she will be the first person you call.
@CTHanum (8254)
Most of the time they just help me bring the boxes and stuff like that. Then I will arranged the things myself. If they help me in arranging the items I will not know where they put the things in and it is another problem to check and search for it.(^^)
@lynboobsy11 (11346)
My best friend is like that she always help me when I'm packing and unpacking my things. Not the personal one that I must put in my bed room. But the one that must be in the kitchen or in the living room is alright with me. She ask me where it must be put. It's really a big help for me I can finish my work easily.
@sender621 (14956)
Whenever I had opportunitiews to move i did not mind having help to pack up boxes. i did like to do my own unoacking though. I knew where i wanted to put things, Other people would not. Having help just emptied the boxes faster but it still left clutter for me to put away.
I don't think I'd want help unpacking either unless it was my boyfriend and we were setting up a place together. I wouldn't want people touching all my stuff and then having to keep telling them where to put things. I'd rather do it myself because I'd probably already have some sort of plan in my head of what I would like to do. It's nice your friend wants to help you and maybe let her help with the kitchen like you said.
I definitely don't want help unpacking. I don't like stuff all over the place like you said - and I don't want other people to take stuff out when they have no idea where to put them (I prefer doing all that stuff myself). You're kind to let your depressed friend help you out somehow . . . at least it will make her feel better. I think I'd give my friends a cleaning job rather than an unpacking job - hee hee.
I totally understand you wanting to do it yourself. It is your new place. I helped my daughter a little when she moved three years ago, but mostly I just watched the kids and let her do it, because she wanted to put things where she wanted them. I have not moved in over twenty five years and I never had help either coming or going on the moves. I hate to say this, but I would not want her knowing what all you had and how you kept it, in case she had someone in her life like KK's boyfriend who would want to take your stuff. I do think your plan to have her do the kitchen is solid though. And after that if she is still there she can help you break down the boxes and get rid of the packing papers.