London is not popular at the moment

@maximax8 (28249)
United Kingdom
I know that accommodation in London at the time the Olympics is on is extra expensive. Not as many people as they expected turned up. Visitors with no interest in the Olympics have stayed away from London. Hotels are slashing the price of their rooms like rooms costing three to four hundred pounds now cost one hundred and ten to one hundred and fifty pounds. Two star hotels that cost from two hundred pounds are now as low as fifty pounds. Museums and galleries have only sixty five percent of their usual levels. Shops have been hit with 30 per cent less shoppers. One in ten seats watching the Olympics is empty. Why do you think tourists not interested in the Olympics are staying away from London? Is it right the hotels are reducing their room prices so drastically? What can the shops in London do to get more sales?
I was reading something about this. How the turnout was so low that there were empty seats. I don't know how much of this is a reflection on London or just how corporate the Olympics have gotten. Apparently corporations were buying up all the seats and not using them, less tickets available to the public means less tourists.
@maximax8 (28249)
I am delighted that you have read about that too. It would be a shame if all the corporations used up the tickets. It would have been awful if some people wanted tickets but couldn't get them. Yes, the turnout so far has been that low. I was in Sydney in 1993 and at that time they were getting ready for the Olympics there in 2000. Every country that hosts that hopes for a great turnout of spectaculars.
The funny part is there were athletes who couldn't get tickets for their families, because supposedly there were no tickets available.
Since the global economy doesn't go well, so it has an effect on everything. In fact many people are interested in the Olympics and hope to be there to watch it in person. But since everything's price gets higher and higher, it seems to be crazy. We can still watch the games better at home. Why we shall spend so much to watch it in person? If the hotel price can go to a reasonable rate, it may attract visitors to stay. As you know, today the customers are not stupid. I love China
@ptrikha_2 (8280)
Yes, the times are not so good. May be, They should have planned accordingly and planned for people with lower incomes and lesser paying capacities as well.
I`m so sorry this happened, Maxine. I suppose part of the problem has been the economic situation in all of Europe. People who worry about their money now can watch a great part of the Olympics at home in their TV sets.
@wolfie34 (26793)
Businesses are well and truly cashing in on the Olympics, I can't believe that there was a big demonstration over taxis not being allowed in the olympic lanes and they caused a big congestion around Westminster. Sad thing is the Olympics is more about commercialism and money! Mind you the amount it's costing to keep the Olympics secure, with tightened security and threats that keeps people away from London knowing there will be trouble, congestion, the traffic will be diabolical. I use the Stratford route to see a friend, to cross from Kent to Essex, however this time I will avoid it by using the motorway and avoiding Stratford. The cost to see the olympic games is way way overpriced too, all these factors is it any wonder? I am not the least bit interested in the Olympics and I hope that I never see the Olympics being held in UK for the rest of my life. Too much cost.
That perplexes me. It looks like such a great place to be right now. I know so many people are not in good spots, but I would assume there are enough people with enough money to be there and interact with the shops and galleries. I did notice the empty seats in some of the games on TV. I kept thinking, maybe they just haven't shown up yet? I really hope it turns around in the coming week.
@RawBill1 (8542)
• Gold Coast, Australia
Maybe it is just a sign of the times economically throughout Europe and the USA? Maybe people realise that London was already hugely expensive to visit and figured that it would cost way too much at this time to visit. Maybe many people have grown tired of the way that the Olympics are these days. I know I have lost interest. It is more about the money than sport these days. It is not really about amateur sports people doing their best against other amateurs anymore. It has moved away from it's traditional values towards the big dollars.
@ptrikha_2 (8280)
I think in these not so good times for economies around the world, high prices are a deterrent to people, who wish to come and watch a big event like Olympics. Many do plan to come, but might put off their plans due to high cost.