Do banks still take rolled up coins....

I have two piggy banks full of coins. I could buy some wrappers to wrap them up. I don't want to use that coin star. They take money out and Idon't want to pay that fee. I need all my money for my furniture. If the banks don't take themhow do I cash them in?? thanks.
@sid556 (31031)
A lot of banks won't but some stores will. Tomorrow is Sunday and the banks are closed so that means some convenience type stores would gladly buy your rolled coins from you. I know that at the store that I work at, by Sunday, we often getting low on coins. I am guessing that you don't have a bank account? If you have an account at a bank, they will take your unrolled coins and run them through a machine and give you cash. I'd say your best bet is convenience stores.
I have abank account and I will find out soon..thanks
@sid556 (31031)
Oh that's cool. Most of them have those coin machines and if it is under a certain amount will do it for free. If not, their charge is really small if you have an account ...like 1 or 2%. That'd be the best route. If not...convenience stores.
I think I am going to roll up my quarters and take them to the furniture store to put on my couch set.
@chiyosan (29399)
yessss they do take coins roled up. I have a friend who even deposited a thousan worth of coins not rolled up. Haha. But if or since you already had it rolled up you sure are doing them abig help when counting the coins.
My coins are still in the banks. I need to get some wrappers.
@sid556 (31031)
A lot of banks will not take rolled up coins any more due to fake coins and also foreign coins being added into the rolls and they just can't blindly trust that the person counted right. Honestly, I take them at the store all the time and sometimes they are a bit short and sometimes a bit over.
Ok,I need to find some wrappers than.. maybe the furniture store will take the coins.
@sedel1027 (17873)
The bank we go to will take loose coins and deposit the money in to your account after they have been counted. I'm not even sure they would take rolled coins since they'd have to be recounted for accuracy. You could do coinstar and get a giftcard to avoid paying the fees.
I didn't know coinstar had gift cards!
That would not wrk for me because the money is for my couch and chairs..
@Fulltank (2896)
Yes, my three kids has piggy banks each and actually are depositing it in banks twice a year. I remember the first time we deposited the coins, the teller told us that they will only accept a certain amount of coins that day. I talk to the bank manager and explained to her that it was my children's money and she approved the transaction.
I will be calling my bank to ask them if they will take my coins wrapped or unwrapped.
@cher913 (25902)
most financial institutions take rolled coins simply because many stores use coin for payment. i would call ahead and check.
@Celanith (2334)
Most banks charge now which I hate as it is greedy of them and it is your not their money. But they are out to rip us off any way they can. A few banks don't charge but most do now. I have a lot of coins too but until I find a bank that won't charge gonna keep accumulating. There is no good reason for them to charge you for counting your coins. I am about to find a new credit union now too because suddenly if my accounts there are not active. Meaning I have not used them by putting in or taking out money even if there is thousands of dollars in the account which they borrow against daily. They want to charge us $2.00 per month for non use. Which is stupid because the fact I have an account means I am using it to keep my money where it is. Seems banks and credit unions are no longer about service but greed.
Yes, the banks will take rolled up coins. The main hitch that I have found with that around here is that most of the banks will only take coins that a customer has rolled if you are a customer of that bank. So, we are a member of a bank here in town that is a smaller bank and I could only go to one of their branches and exchange my coins for cash at that bank. I wouldn't be able to walk into one of the bigger banks here in town and exchange my coins for paper money because I'm not a customer of that bank.
The banks around here still take rolled coins. It's only just now that the bank I use won't accept them in the drive-thru. You have to take them inside. But I don't mind. I used the Coinstar machines for a while and while they may be convenient I hate the fact it charges 9.8% for every dollar. I'd rather just go to the bank and keep all of my money.
@myfb2009 (8308)
Gifts, the banks in my area her still accept rolled up coins. Some even accept the coins that you bring in without the need to wrap them in ay wrapper. Because they have the machine which can helps do the calculation for you. You can ask your local bank and exchange with them for cash. Another way is, you can exchange them at the grocery store. When i was young, i see my mother always exchange our coins into cash and deposit them into our bank accounts.
yes they do accept rolled up coins but you cant go through the drive thru, you have to go inside.
@suspenseful (40331)
You can ask the bank for coin wraps. They will give them to you for free. That is what I used to do when I had lots of pennies, etc. with me. Then you wrap the coins, take them to the bank, and they will exchange them for paper money.
@dodo19 (16338)
• Montreal, Quebec
I know that, here in Canada, they still do. It's something that I've done. I don't know about all banks, but I'd be kind of surprised, if they didn't. You can always call and ask, if you're unsure.
The wrappers should available at the bank. Yes, banks do take them. Perhaps there are some banks that do not accept them; however, I have not had any issues with any of the banks we have dealt with not accepting rolls of coins, and we have dealt with several different ones.
I know our bank will not accept coin rolls. There was a coin star machine in our grocery store, so we just took the massive amount of coins and tossed them in there. I can't remember what the fee was - but we were just glad we didn't have to take the time to stick them in rolls . . . we just thought of the fee like paying someone to put them in rolls.
I roll up my change and take it back the bank that I have an account with. They do require your name and phone number be put on the wrapper. There are people who try to short-change them or use slugs.
When I had much coins, I went to business institutions and change it for paper bills, so it's now handy. Businesses need coins too for their change. This is very easy here in my place.