education starts at home

@talker1 (148)
New Zealand
from learning how to cook, to being considerate, and practising our manners, all of these things need to start being taught at home, preferably with mum and dad or somoeone relative to this. if these things are not taught where they are supposed to be, or by whom they are supposed to be taught by, the social consequences could be imbarrasing for all concerned.
@Iriene88 (5352)
Yes, early education shape individual personality. Education starts from home because we actually copied and modeled by observing what others around us do. We learn from our parents and teachers, our character moulded along the way till now, and we are still learning.
@Raine38 (9117)
I agree, and our parents are our first teachers. Kids learn so fast, and they are like sponges who absorb everything. That's why at this very early stage, it is paramount that kids are taught the basic good manners, basic ABCs and 123s. Just to have a good head start or foundation. But most of all, our home is where we learn about the importance of being a good person. It is what builds our character. It is what makes us or breaks us. And whatever early lessons we got, we carry it on in later life.
It's true. Children really learn how to read, cook, and do the things that they need to know how to do by learning it all at home. Yes, if a child or adult doesn't know how to do certain things, it can be consequential and very embarrassing for the child and the parents. Here is the problem: Most people are not taught the basics anymore, or they choose to ignore the basics.
@Paper_Doll (2376)
That is true. Many of the non-law abiding citizens I know are either came from broken families whose parents are busy resolving their own issues than to take care of their children or those people who were not disciplined by their own parents/guardians when they are still young. You are right that if they grew up living like there are no rules that they have to follow, they will eventually became an embarrassment not only within their families but in our society. Parents who really care and love their children should learn how to discipline them as early as possible. Discipline in a way that they would know that there are consequences for their every actions. If parents failed to discipline their kids and were not able to teach them moral values, it will likely be hard for those kids to change themselves. So parents should teach and train their children because there are lessons in life that are not being taught in schools.
@asdomencil (4276)
This is really true. Home is our first school. Not only learning household chores but you will learn how to behave right in places outside your home. Furthermore, parents are the first teachers since they will teach you most things that you will never learn in schools. Schools only teach you additional knowledge but there are nothing to compare of what you learn in school.
@freqspaz (220)
I have personal experience with this. I have worked with a child (she is 18), whom cannot talk to a stranger and is very, very spoiled acting and it's all because she hasn't been in school since she was 6. When I first met her she wouldn't even look me in the eye. Within months when I asked a questions she started to shyly point at things (NO she is not slow or mentally disabled in anyway). It took almost a year to get her to even talk to me and after three years, she still doesn't talk to me UNLESS I talk to her, and she CANNOT work the front of the store at all. She cannot communicate with other human beings with out blushing or snapping at them because she believes they are wasting her time. I've seen this outburst, it's not pretty. BUT it is the fault of her parents. She knows book smarts, like math and history and how to cook, just not how to survive away from her mommy or in the real world. And I find that very sad. Here in America so much emphisaas is put on education, yet I see it everyday that parents put all of the pressure on teachers, and TOYS, yes toys. I hear it everyday, "I want a toy to teach my child how to read, oh and s/he is only 6 months old." It makes me sick!
The only thing I did not teach my child at a young age was how to cook. I was not a cooker when she was growing up. I made fast food or we ordered out. When I got older I learned how to cook and wouldtry to teach her all I could. She is good now though. boydo her crabs smell and taste great..
@echoforever (5192)
This is true and I get the impression that this is not happening enough in the household through out society. For me I missed out on a lot that was supposed to be taught at home and I am suffering for it still as an adult. It is important to have basic ideals within the household for children to learn but also tasks like cooking, cleaning and daily chores I suppose. Having these basics will teach responsibility and that is important for all walks of life. It will also build a relationship with your child because they are learning from your parents or family and they will learn to respect you for it in time. Schools in the USA - anyway, don't seem to hit on the important aspects of life any more that will be important for careers or just anything outside school. Now the relatives need to step up to implement the things that aren't being taught there but it should have been this way all along.