I dropped my house key this afternoon....

That key cost $25. I was walking and stopped in front of the building to talk to the repair man about my dishwasher. I just had the keyselected in my hand. the man opened the door so I did not need the key. I take the elevator to my floor number 7 and I don't have my key. I run down stairs and search everywhere I was standing and walking. ThenI left eith adrain to go back to the key shop since his spare would not go in the door. I get back and start looking on the ground some more. This man called me and asked what I was looking for. come to find out he found my key and gave it to his wife. who left the building. so,I was still locked out of my house. a few hours later we come back and shewas sitting in front of the building. we took that key and went right back to the key shop to make adrain a spare that works. this key thing is enough to make me want to make everyone a spare incase i lose mine.
@SomeCowgirl (32266)
It's good somebody found it, I know I'd be panicked if I lost a key. Where I live now they won't give me a key because they say they gave me one and I lost it but I don't believe they ever did give me a key. I could go get one made real quick though as I know where the "hide" key is... In any case I still think $25 is ridiculous!
The out door key costs $50 and for the shop to make one it cost $18. we will be making two more of those.
@sid556 (31003)
I just had a new key made for my place and it cost 3.00!! 25.00 is ridiculous and 50.00 is more so. Even 18.00 is ourtrageous for a stupid key.
@laydee (12813)
Oh my! It's surely a task when one loses their keys. I'm glad someone found them for you! I could remember how we would go about changing all the locks with the keys that have been lost. It would be terrifying for a stranger or a thief (or someone with bad intention) to have found the keys and use them to surprise us. Best be safer next time. Have a great MyLot experience ahead!
That man and his wife are both old and use those chairs with wheels. I would be shocked if he were to keep up that kind of behavior.
@bjc66bjc (6745)
You are lucky the man found it was a honest person otherwise he could have been going into your apartment..Its always good to let someone else have a spare key just for incidents like this...$25.00 is expensive for a key....
we made adrain a key yesterday..
@sedel1027 (17854)
Do you have your key on a keyring or chain? It' easy to loose a lone key if it isn't attached to something. You could also make a habit of throwing the key in your purse and grabbing your purse & important documents as you are running out the door.
The key ring was so loose I almost lost 3 more keys. I put them on my kitchen counter being it is where I pass right by the door.
I tend to lock myself out of my house pretty often. I have done it twice this week. Luckily my parents live across the street and have an extra key. I dont even know what I would do if I really couldnt get in my house. Like who do you call lol. I know a lock smith I would call for a car so I guess maybe thats who I would call if I locked myself out of my house as well.
I gave adrain one key to the door and I will be making the other key soon as I have the money to spare.
I do think that it is very important to have more than one spare key for your doors or for your car. When I was a teenager, I was well known for locking myself out of my car, so my mother had one spare key for my car that she kept at home. Then, I also locked myself out of the car several times when I was with my best friend, so I ended up giving her a key to my car as well. The really funny thing is that she had the spare key to that car until the beginning of 2011 when she was illegally evicted from her apartment. I had actually gotten rid of said car in 2003, but we had lost contact with each other for the previous eight years.
Hubby and I each have a set of keys on a big round thingy that clips to our belts. That way it's impossible for us to accidentally drop one. Don't give a spare to your daughter. She may sneak her man in.
@sid556 (31003)
a lady came into the store I work in and bought some stuff and left. She quickly came back and said that she misplaced her keys. They did not get left on the counter so we traced her steps. I found them. On the key ring was this huge azz paddle that said, " I have this big paddle so that I won't be able to lose my keys"!!
@sid556 (31003)
ok this story just gave me daymares! I just went thru such an ordeal with my apt. key that it wasn't funny! It's a long story and I won't bore you with details but lets just say that I got locked out 3 times and paid for a new key, got the old one back eventually and then my car key turned up missing and another whole adventure...all within a couple of weeks. My advice to the world is ...GET SPARES!!