Cheating In The Olympics

@artemeis (4070)
China
Do you think cheaters should be punished even when they have admitted their misdeeds? If you think that they should be punish then what do you think would be appropriate when they are actually medal winners? I think most of you would know by now that I am referring to the admission of cheating by Cameron van der Burgh, who represented South Africa at the London Olympics 2012 in the Men's 100m Breaststroke swimming event. For me, it came as a surprise that he actually got away with a gold medal and official world record for the event. The officials must be sleeping to have this happening right under their nose and with the latest technology of underwater camera monitoring as well. Shouldn't his medal and record be withdrawn at least? It is sad and unfortunate that such a deed can go undetected and him unpunished.
@ram_cv (16516)
I think there should be punishment which should be based on the offense. If someone cheated to get a gold medal, then that person should be banned from getting that medal. I was not aware of this incident, but if this is true, then he should be stripped out of gold medal. Absolutely, no questions about it. Cheers! Ram
@artemeis (4070)
I do not know what message the Games will be sending if the officials do not exercise their authority to ensure fairness. This is very disturbing and his admission also pointed out that others had gotten away with such a wrongdoing as well which means that officials and umpires had not carried out their duties all this while. Since there's no word from the governing body of swimming and the Games committee I doubt he will be receiving what is due to him or his medal stripped. Also, I believe it is about time sports consider implementing technology into the competition or else there's no way such wrongdoings can be spotted and stopped.
@owlwings (39761)
• Cambridge, England
Unfortunately, the reason van de Burgh will probably keep his medal is because the adjudicators were not allowed to use underwater video in their assessments. This is a failing of the scoring/adjudication rules and will probably be changed for future competitions. A cheat is a cheat because it gives him/her an unfair advantage over those who do keep to the rules. I think that, even a week later, van der Burgh should be disqualified and his medal taken away, since it is clear that, not only has he admitted cheating (and the evidence is available on video) but he is not particularly sorry about having done so.
@artemeis (4070)
I hope that the officials will not undermine and consider introducing technology into future competitions or else this will not stop and continue to happen. I have to add that his admission also revealed a shocking fact that other swimmers had been cheating as well. I believe this is why he does not seem to be remorseful of his wrongdoing. I doubt he will be disqualified and his gold medal taken away from him since no one has appealed and FINA and the Olympics committee had not indicated that they will take any action against him.
@toyota4k (1212)
Cheating is bad, we were taught in school in our youth. Now comes this gold medalist accepting he cheated during the Olympics. He was judged as seen by the umpire or referee or whoever had authority to see who wins and looses. This athlete must be real cunning and got away with it unless he's suffering from madness and wants to tell the world he doesn't deserve the gold at all having cheated or not. Sometimes cheating is part of the game especially in boxing. Believe me there;s no perfection...
@artemeis (4070)
This is just about how sports can be - the ugly side. I cannot believe and accept just how such well established rules can actually be broken and at such a time. I agree with you that cheating has no place in such a famous sporting event but it is interesting when the defaulter could actually come forward to admit his wrongdoing. His admission actually brought up a very disturbing fact that swimmers in this event had been cheating like him and had not been caught so far. Shocking isn't it?
@riyauro (6428)
Well cheaters should be punished. If he has cheated then he has to be punished..thanks sharing, have a wonderful day.
@artemeis (4070)
Punish? How? Sounds simple. Seems like this one actually got away without a scratch and an Olympic gold medal too.