Why did I have to read the rules....

That paper was sitting on my dresser for two weeks just about. I never thought to read it. then I was trying to get reception in this house and someone mentioned the metal keeping me from getting a signal. well,I hung the antenna out the living room window and the channel came right on. then stupid me goes right in my room looking for something and stop and pick up this booklet. It states you are not allowed to hang antennas from your window. lol. now i feel bad while I know I want to watch this channel. so,I am hoping no one will notice this from the 7th floor. I know some of you would remove it. but,I can't get the tv to work if I do this.
@owlwings (39751)
• Cambridge, England
I think that the answer is the logical one of putting the ball right back in the landlord's court. He cannot, reasonably, expect any of his tenants to live without a TV, so, if people are not allowed to hang antennae from their windows, does he supply any other means of getting a reception (such as a roof antenna which has a good, amplified signal to a TV socket in every apartment)? Very often rules are written at the beginning without any thought to practical considerations like whether there's any signal because of the way the building is constructed. A good landlord will be reasonable if you talk to him about the problem. He may say 'Well, we don't have a roof antenna, so it's actually OK to fix your own outside the window just so long as it's not obtrusive.' or something like that. Obviously, a building with hundreds of antennae hung any old how from windows begins to look a little 'slummy'. Most properly designed apartment blocks have a TV feed to each apartment (but maybe the more modern ones assume that most people these days use cable rather than an antenna). I'm assuming that your block wasn't built in the last five years!
we have a hook up for fios tv in our linen closet. I think everyone has cable in the building.
@stealthy (8188)
First off what kind of antenna are you talking about and do you have a digital TV? Almost all stations are now broadcasting in digital and if you are using rabbit ears or something, there can be problems with how the antenna is oriented. The plane formed by the ears has to be roughly perpendicular to the direction(N, S, etc.) that the broadcast antenna is from you. Usually most stations will be in roughly the same direction but a case that I ran into was that one station was not and it was very critical how the antenna was turned so that I could also get that one station. When you put the antenna outside, it could have placed it in a close enough orientation that you can now get the station. If you are willing to chance moving it back inside and playing with the orientation(perhaps near the window), it might work. If you are using rabbit ears, than all this may not apply to your situation.
I am using rabbit ears and they won't work inside the apartment. I moved everything the couch the tv and the fan everything trying to get a signal in this house. only outside workedfor me. now,I have to figure how to hide the wire in my house.
@riyauro (6428)
Well that is some set of rules you have got for your new home. But I guess the rules are made for some reasons. I have a feeling that they have put that rule not to out or hang anything out of the window because it might fall and if someone is down, might get hurt. yeah it won't be noticed from the 7th floor but see it is fitted properly. Good day
I taped it down so the wind would not take it. I would be scared if it fell down though..
• Nigeria
Always abide by the rule and regulation of anywhere where you found yourself,by doing,you will not be suspend.So you need to read the rule and regulation,so that you will not go wrong.
I will do this in the winter time. because I need to close my window then and it will not work inside. thanks.
@hsofyan (3448)
• Jakarta, Indonesia
Ignore it and enjoy watching TV.
That is what I was doing lol. thanks for the laugh. take care.
LOL throw the paper away and pretend you never saw it. Regardless if they find out you have the antenna there you will probably get in trouble. Hopefully they will just give you a warning then you can take it down then. I hope nobody notices and you can go about watching the tv : ) I dont have cable at all.
I don't want to pay for cable tv this next few months I want to use that to buy my furniture faster. even after that I might not get cable. in the fall there will be all kinds of new shows on tv.
@lynboobsy11 (11346)
Maybe you can just put it near the window but still inside so no one will notice it.
I tried that and it will not work for me. even adrian worked his hardest.
@freqspaz (220)
Sometimes, I think, it's okay to claim ignorance. or see if it works like inside the window but pressed against the glass. Other than that, yeah, um if any one notices a little antenna from 7 stories below, then they are really looking for it.
I will check tomorrow to see if anyone can even see my window from down there.
@bjc66bjc (6745)
wow whats that about??? the TV dosen't work properly the phone cuts off and on, dropping calls, Since you are on the top floor, you need to check the roof for aliens....lol
The tv is working now..I just have to figure a way to hide this antenna wire from them when they come fix my dish washer.
If there is something in the building that is keeping people from being able to get the reception that they need for their television or cell phones, then I think that the owners of the building should install a booster on each floor of the building so that the tenants will be able to get free reception for the local channels and also so that their telephones will work properly. Course, I really don't think that you should hang your antenna out the window, or if you do, only leave it out there when you are watching that particular channel.
You have to follow the rules Sharon. The papers say not to do something and you justify doing it because you can't get the channel. That's what cable is for Sharon. I'm sure it would look quite trashy if everyone did that. Is this the place where you said a man was pisssing in the elevator or something? Is this the same building Adrian lives in? I thought it was a new place that wS nice. From what I have read it's not nice at all.
@Jshean20 (14367)
I think landlords have to write things like this in the "rules" incase there is some kind of accident where it falls and hits someone in the head, the landlord couldn't be held responsible due to it being written in the rules. The rules in our agreement state that we can't have barbeques here, but everyone does it anyway. It's just one of those things for legal reasons that they have to put in black and white.