Lets try to be judges..

@vandana7 (68614)
Ok..I will go the reverse way so that those who are not familiar with what is happening in India get familiar a. There is ethnic / communal violence in which protestors from muslim community in the country have vandalized a sacred monument dedicated to armed forces. These protestors didnt want armed forces despatched to Assam, a province in our country that forms border with Bangladesh. Who is wrong? Government or Protestors. I say Protestors. b. Assam is torn in ethnic strife following massacre of many muslims by Bodos Who is wrong? Bodos or Muslims? I say Bodos c. Bodos killed Muslims because 4 Bodos were killed and Bodos allege that it was Muslism Who is wrong? Bodos or Muslims? I say Muslims D. WHAT PROVOKED THE DEATH OF 4 BODOS..WHAT COMMENTS WERE PASSED.. E. what led to those unpleasant comments anyway? So my questions are - Is it alright to provoke another person to that extent? Do you get provoked enough to want to murder somebody? Can you get provoked to that extent if your loved ones or somebody from your community was troubled by another community? Just because we have not been tested to our limits does not mean we are not terrorists. I may have a latent one in me. Only the right nerve has not been touched as yet. So..I dont believe what I read or watch or hear anymore. If I can see some harm happening before my eyes, I wont be silent. But I will definitely not participate in agitation where it is hard to take sides and where truth is not known or cannot be ascertained. This sounds crazy.
@yugasini (12839)
• Anantapur, India
hi vandana, what ever you said that is right and your description about the situation assam also nice,till now i does not know what is going on Assam who's fault it is, if some fault may done by any community due to misunderstandings,they have to forgive that fault and live happily,taking revenge with the other community, the thing will be spread all over the country,what happen the Assamese are evacuating their places from other parts of the India,i think not the Govt the political leaders are utilising the opportunity for their fame,i do not know how far i am right,have a nice day.
@vandana7 (68614)
Yugasinigaru, in all probability, it is a political gimmick.. I mean..Bodos have been trying to get a separate bodoland. To bring them back into fold of the nation, and realize their vulnerability, perhaps make them realize why they need Indian army, this stunt may well have been organized by the political leaders. I am just saying..I dont know for sure.. The fact is, four bodos were killed, then bodos went and killed many muslims, and muslims killed many in return, and went so far as seeking attention of muslims in other parts of the country. History will only record it like this. Specific names should be used. Who killed whom. Instead of mentioning Bodos, or Muslims. Right? That perpetuates differences in communities. We can never know the truth, and where we cannot, how can we be judges? Killing requires triggers..wonder what those were..and exactly who is to be blamed.
@yugasini (12839)
• Anantapur, India
hi vandana, thanks for the response, the response is Govt, if the Govt are strict with every one then country will be people for their political sake,they are support some communities just like the same may bite the Govt also, just like Indira Gandhi,when she is in opposition she support the Brindenwala,we have to know that we should not support any such extremists and terrorists for our own sake, the same will hit us just like boomerang,have a nice day.
@vandana7 (68614)
You are right..greed for power makes politicians take the support of vote banks and then end up appeasing them instead of taking strict action against them when they go wrong. Part of the problem is ours too. We are so divided that we are unable to give a clear mandate. Effectively, coalition governments are here to stay. Coalition implies there is no free hand to do what the government desires to do. In the process, the government cannot - I repeat cannot - afford to offend its vote banks. Time we demanded change in the constitution before we demand removal of corruption, right?
I don't know enough (anything, really) about this issue, so I won't try to comment on the rights and wrongs of the argument. But there is a point you raised that I will address. I can very easily see how a person's limits could be tested by events, particularly events which are brought about by systemic injustices, to the point of becoming a terrorist. The problem I have with this is that the vast majority of terorists strike out at those least responsible for the injustices, that is to say, the easy targets of innocent bystanders (if there is truly such a thing). Terrorism aimed at the real culprits, the politicians and corporate businessmen who trade in injustice for minorites as a matter of course, might have some effect, but all terrorism aimed at the innocent, or at least the silent majority, does nothing but escalate the injustices and harden the attitudes of people who might even agree with the terrorists' stance. Lash
@vandana7 (68614)
Lash, honestly, even I dont know much about the issue except what is there on Internet, and what is there in the newspapers. You said terrorists kill innocent people. Others dont. I say..when the mind reaches that level of pain....it loses its ability to be this rational - perhaps it is like a very high voltage current ruining all other things that reside there..after all terrorist forgets his loved ones as well and what will happen to them if he goes to that extent. As I said, I am not sure I cant be one if that threshold is crossed. Does that make me any better? Does that allow me to sit in the comfort of my chair and say Muslims are wrong or Bodos are wrong?
I know quite well that I could cross the line. If I were much younger, the current world-wide shift to the Right, which seems to me to be well beyond normal political shape-shifting, might tempt me to take up arms against some of the louder spokespersons. If I were given a reasonably short-term terminal illness diagnosis I might be tempted to go out in a blaze of glory and take out one or two of our most frightening Right-wing politicians with me. Violence rarely achieves anything positive, but sometimes violence is the only reasonable response. Of course, the definition of "reasonable" is like quicksand. There are as many definitions as there are grains of sand. By the way, I meant to mention that you have a namesake whom I consider one of the most important intellectuals India has produed, and they have produced many, and I refer to Vandana Shiva. Lash
@vandana7 (68614)
I disagree with Violence rarely achieves anything positive, but sometimes violence is the only reasonable response Violence prompts retaliation UNLESS the other party is vanquished completely or comprehensively. Like Nazis were eliminated. Are we going to resort to genocide for vanquishing opposition? Of course not!!! The problem is, we are not thinking of ways and means to bring down situations that lead to violence. We are happy enough treating the symptom by being judges he should have done this or they shouldnt have done this..or developing tools to curtail violence. Solutions may be far simpler ..like teaching children in school why another person should not be hurt even verbally. Not allowing bullies to get away with it..just thinking.. Yes, I did come across her quite a few times..:) Yes, she is very intelligent, and I am honored that I get to share her name. :)
@bhanusb (5709)
Muslims are living in greater Assam since British rule. They came from former East Bengal now Bangladesh. Then Assam had huge lands uncultivated. Muslims who came from East Bengal cultivated those lands and made Assam self sufficient in food. The Muslims of Assam are the descendants of those Muslims who came from East Bengal. So they are natural citizen of India. Bodos are the aboriginal people of Assam. So their conflicts are political nature. Neither of them have to be blamed . A political solution is needed to stop the bloodshed.
@vandana7 (68614)
One rational mind in a million Hindus..thank you god. Now I can say I am proud to be an Indian.
@bhanusb (5709)
It is great to get BR from a critic like you. Thanks Vandana.
@vandana7 (68614)
You deserve it..you said nice thing..if they came over when it was East Bengal, they came as refugees. If they have made Assam prosperous and self sufficient, they have contributed to nation's wealth, then they naturalized. If they are new immigrants then they need to go back. We cant actually know ground realties..but we can at least say what we think would be right and what would be wrong. Based on that people can review their stand and get real may be?
@thesids (22357)
• Bhubaneswar, India
I dont believe what I read or watch or hear anymore. This is what has been expected from us isnt it? The 3 Monkeys of Gandhian Philosoy so deeply embedded into us I would say No to your first and second questions. Howver, if there is any big problem created for my family, I have no obligations for anyone else and I can consider getting to any extent. I wont spare anyone. I am peaceful as long as my immediate family is spared - I might even be forgiving if I was the one who was hurt, but I am possessive of my family. No one else is more important ever. I firmly believe that there is an animal in all of us which is caged, tamed and peaceful as long as it doesnt get really really hurt deep within. I have no comments on the first sections (A-E) of the discussion, because these NE states have been always ill treated and handled differently like the J&K. Complete failure of government and even the local people in these 8 states (7+J&K).
I so...so concur, Bro'! One of the fiercest animals in North America, is the Momma Grizzly Bear, wrankle her family...and you have released a force of Nature that cannot be reckoned with! THAT, in a nutshell WOULD be a complete pictorial of me...if MY family were challenged or threatened! For the rest of the turmoil in the world..I wish to make my mark in a pacifist manner! Conflict is NOT part of my demeanor...NOR yours, and I truly "thank the Lord" that there are people of your qualities to keep the world somewhat grounded! I have found in my "walk thru this world," there are times that a calm chat can, at times, defuse a situation running towards volatile, or give pause...and it is somewhat dimished! I cannot comment on the first sections..of Vandy's discussion, as I am not appraised..nor would I expect most here to be of the political unrest in Canada..and we do, too, have our share!
@vandana7 (68614)
You know what I think sid, getting provoked to the level of murder requires persistent subjection to harrasment. Our mind tends to organize data just like we organize our files, records, etc. So one Hindu cheated me of 10 bucks..ok..it wont forget that, next Hindu was nasty to my brother, goes into same file. Eventually, the name of the file becomes The Hindus..likewise, we are also programmed may be. It becomes necessary to recall that there were good ones in between too but filing goes wrong if others start narrating their experiences. So the good ones dont get into the file I suppose. The last straw is often inconsequential..and you would feel did they really kill each other for that? The whole picture needs to be viewed I feel to be a good judge of the situation, and we can't get that picture, can we? Call it aping the monkeys or call it maturity, I do not want to judge another person or community based on what is being presented because I have a million unanswered questions.
@vandana7 (68614)
@ pergammano - a grizzly hug..lol I so very agree with you. In fact, I feel most people abhor "conflict". It comes with series of insults, injustices, and what nots (negative stuff). When the bucket gets filled, it is bound to overflow.
@natliegleb (5184)
this quote reminds of the olden days and it is really informative but how can we be so sure that we follow and be judges and follow the rules always,i find it kind of complex
@jennyze (7048)
It happens in my country, too. Believe me, that I don't care who is wrong but I blame the government for not being a good judge in all of these happenings, the government for not being able to create a good environment and for any of the religions that do not teach love to others even though the others are of different races, religions, and perceptions...
@vandana7 (68614)
the government for not being able to create a good environment What if the environment is created by one of the previous governments?
@jennyze (7048)
The new government would have to fix or correct the wrong doings, then...