Catching sand crabs with the kids . . .

We went on a family beach trip in the early evening. The highlight turned out to be catching sand crabs with the kids!! We had a blast scooping them out of the wet sand as the waves rolled them in. The kids loved touching being tickled by these teeny sand crabs when they collected them - reminiscent of the rolly pollies they so love at home. A whole mess of sand crabs were collected in our makeshift habitats buckets - oh it was good fun. In the end, we had to let them go, back to the ocean. Of course the kids wanted to keep them but that wouldn't be fair to the sand crabs. My oldest one understood dumped the whole bucket at once . . . the little one had to savor the moment and tossed them back into the water one by one. Not only did they have fun, but it was another lesson learned that we set our nature friends free.
I am glad to know that you had a god wonderful time with you kids from the beach. I feel it as a special hours or special days when I spent time on the beach becuase It is the place where I had a lot of good memories in my life. I really loves those days
Glad you have good memories of your beach time!! This is what we hope to have for our kids - that they can have good memories of the beach - and the family time we all had/have. They really have a connection with the beach - so we hope to take them often!
Thats great! I'm glad you didn't cook them. It just hurts me to think of crabs and lobsters being cooked alive.
I don't know if sand crabs are edible - hee hee. The biggest were maybe only about a half inch. I've never cooked live crabs or lobsters before (but I've certainly eaten them!!)
@jillhill (37383)
That sounds like a wonderful time! I bet you all did enjoy it emmencely...and a great lesson learned too!
Yes, we had a great time! It's not everyday we get to play with sand crabs - and we were lucky to have them in our company on this beach trip! We were so thrilled it wasn't too hard to let go of them "this time". We have our rolly polly kick at home, and the kids really don't want to set them free. Well, sand crabs are something that just cannot live in our backyard - it took a little convincing, but they did let them go easier than we thought they would - hee hee.
@dpk262006 (56484)
Hi much2say! It would have been a memorable experience to catch the tiny creatures and observe them. I understand that these crabs were not harmful to your kids. It would have been like a game to search and catch them .... Lol! This way kids would have learned about sea side small creatures and how they crawl in sand. :) It was great on your part to relieve them in the sea. (Hope you did not feel like eating them raw ..... Lol!)
Hi dpk!!!! Oh yes, these little creatures are not harmful at all (unlike their bigger cousins which I'm sure have claws that can pinch!). It truly was a game for them to seach and catch. It was a fun experience for the little ones for sure! In fact, long ago it was my husband who had shown me these sand crabs!! I remember beach trips with my family, but we would go maybe only once a year. I don't remember my parents ever really coming up to the water with us or being active with us - and you would think my dad would have been because he grew up a beach baby! ANYWAY. It was great fun to show the kids something "new". Hee hee - I don't know if these little things would be edible . . . they are so little - maybe good for a snack - ha ha!!!!!! Hope you're doing well dpk!!!!
@dpk262006 (56484)
Thanks for enlightening me that little creatures were harmless. I hope your kids will always remember this experience.
Hi again dpk! We went to a different beach this weekend - and the kids were so excited to possibly seeing the sand crabs again. Well, this time there weren't as many . . . but the ones they found were HUGE!! Huge meaning an inch or so . . . which was about double or triple the size we found at the other beach. Finding them wasn't as easy, but the kids were delighted when they found them at last. I sure hope they remember these good times!!!
@bounce58 (17524)
I've been meaning to do this with the kids, but I just haven't found time to do it. I think we need to get a 'special license', which we could just get from Wal-Mart, to do it here. I love the lesson you thought your kids. I think I would have a hard time doing the same with my six year old.
Do you need a special license to catch them? We caught them, but let them all go free in the end . . . there was no way I was going to allow any sand crabs in our home - they totally wouldn't make it. Believe me, it took a long time to convince my oldest that we let things go in nature - we don't just capture and keep . . . and still it's hard to convince her of that at times. My little one is more willing to let it go . . . but he will kind of go with what his sister feels at the time - so this time we were lucky - ha ha. We are thinking to go to another beach this weekend - but not all beaches have those sand crabs - so I hope they won't be disappointed!!
Hi friend, good to know that you enjoyed a lot with your beach trip, really this kind of family trips will give more fun to us and we never forget about this kind of trips in our life.
We hope our kids have fond memories of these beach trips! They truly have made a connection with the beach (and sand crabs - hee hee) so hopefully the good feelings stay in their hearts forever!!
@pergammano (7755)
Good on you, muchkin...I think I can honestly say, when my son was young (I think I was the winner--the selfish winner) as I think I got more enjoyment watching him thoroughly enthralled with his fascination with the phenome's of the seashore! Owning a Marina, we were at least 12-14 hours a day at the beach..and other than "napping" or "eating" it was my reliable "baby-sitter!" I was soooooo blessed..I also had a wonderful German Shepherd dog.."Cola" whom spent every moment with him, and WOULD NOT allow him in the water deeper than his chest, she would grab him by the bathing suit, and pull him ashore! Never left his side! Hats off to Mother Nature and her teachings! God Bless, dear one!
The place where you live sooooooo amazes me, pergammano. You actually owned/own a marina?????? And how wonderful that Cola was such a smart dog . . . did you train her like that or was she naturally a rescuer? Oh yah, kids can be there for hours if you let them . . . we just have to watch the exposure to the sun - particular for my older one as she has eczema. The kids (and hubby) have much fairer skin than I do - so we try to go on these beach trips in the early evening (which can still be quite warm, especially during the summer). I agree Mother Nature is awesome! You take care and hope you are having a wonderful weekend!!