Eating Cactus

@NailTech (6892)
So tonight I'm watching this Food Truck contest on the Food Network and they had to put cactus in their food, cook it and everything. How would you like eating this? How the heck do they make sure all the needles are removed and you don't eat the needles or have them sticking you in the mouth and throat? Little own having them in your hands when you're trying to cook with it. Ouch. I would never eat or work with that. No matter what it tastes like. What do you think of this wierd idea?
• Calgary, Alberta
My favorite edible cactus is dragon fruit, because its taste and texture is like a mix between Kiwi and Strawberries, specially the red fleshed ones because the white fleshed ones are kinda bland but its bursting with nutrition. I think the cactus that is treated like a vegetable is Nopales, I think Mexicans mix them with tacos. From what I know, needles are removed when you purchased them in grocery.
@NailTech (6892)
Well, if they are already removed then thats a plus. I would hate to get stuck with them though while trying to buy them or prepare them for food. I didn't know dragon fruit was a cactus, I thought it was just afruit. Cool.
• Calgary, Alberta
another edible cactus is a prickly pear, Its very sweet and counted as a fruit. I think Nopales is in wallmart. You can add them to tacos, You can also slice them in bite size pieces and sautee with beef.
• Marion, Kansas
People have done it for years. It is nutritious, and also a source of water if you are in a desert region. If you have tongs, you pick it up with them, then you scorch the needles off in an open fire. I had cactus candy years ago and they still sell it online and at truck stops. You can buy pickled cactus in the Hispanic food section at Wal Mart. I have not tried to cook any yet, but I have a prickly pear with ripening pods on it. When they turn red I may look up a recipe for prickly pear jelly.They use cactus extracts as food supplements for weight loss.
@rog0322 (2834)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
i, I've eaten almost all kinds of food, from frogs to locusts to snakes but cactus? Maybe I shall give it a try when I can find one. The first time I see a cactus was in a cemetery lot nearby, planted over some graves and I can't take the courage to take it home and cook it, much more eat it. Moreover, I don't know what cactus variety can be eaten, where to find it and how to prep it. Mine is a tropical country, cactus seem to like it here. Maybe it shall make a good research, how to grow it, harvest and cook it. Cactus cake, anyone?
@NailTech (6892)
I didn't know about it being done for years, I guess I live a much sheltered life. I would definetly use tongs to pick them up. Scorching the needles off seems logical too. These people who were doing it on TV had never heard of it before though and were getting stuck with it, etc. I think I might have seen them rinsing it off or maybe their hands?? Cactus cake, too funny rog! I think some of the foods they made it into was some kind of taco and other things. Nothing was overly tasty as far as remember but I was distracted from watching abit. It does get to be confusing on which variety would be edible or not. I am curious now too if there are any online recipes, not that I'm gonna go out and try them anytime soon!
What shows you watched? eating cactus? what to eat from cactus? I don't know that we can eat cactus even if the needles already removed. I want to know how it taste
@NailTech (6892)
It was about a race to win a contest on the Food Network. They have food trucks and try to do challenges and make food for people out on the street. At the end they win a big prize, if they are left and not knocked off for being last. I don't know what it tastes like myself, but it does sound strange doesn't it? Apparently it isn't that rare as I thought either as other people responded with having heard of it before.
@FrugalMommy (1450)
What's so weird about it? Cactus is yummy! I love prickly pear fruits, and when we lived in Phoenix we had a night-blooming cereus. We had to fight the birds for the cereus fruit. The birds usually won... It's actually not too hard to make sure you get all of the needles off. They grow in little clusters, not all over the entire surface of the fruits and pads. When we go out and pick them, we always take lighters and use the flame to singe off the needles. The prickly pear fruits have clusters of itty bitty invisible needles surrounding the bigger ones, and holding the lighter next to them for a few seconds gets rid of most of them. Or you can use tongs to hold the fruit under running water and rub the needles off with a small brush.
@NailTech (6892)
I didn't see these people doing it with the lighters, they had never heard of cooking it before and were getting the needles in their hands and everything. If you now how to handle them and use the lighter for them, then go for it. Otherwise I dislike cactus with needles anyways, have been stuck with them too many times in the past when we had many of the plants. I have never tasted one though, sounds interesting.
If the rewards were worth it i would find a glove to wear and put that on and cut it up and cook it. if it were for no reward at all I would never do it.
@NailTech (6892)
Yes they had to do it for the rewards on the show. I guess the gloves might have helped some. Otherwise I wouldn't cook it either, too painful LOL.