Do you pray before you eat??

I tend to forget to do this and when someone is praying I will start to do the same thing. I feel shame sometimes because I will already have my fork in my hand while praying over my food. Adrian alwasy pray before he picks up his fork and Ishould have picked up this habit already.
@lucas5 (459)
• Sao Paulo, Brazil
I pray, but I do not show, I use to pray when I am preparing the dishes, in silence, or I pretend to use the cellphone. thank you for you discussion.
I never heard of this before. I see it as a good way to bless the food you will be eating.
@dsw313 (321)
Glad that you remind me of that, I used to do that before, until I just forgot it and was taken for granted (shame on me :)), I just don't know why. I just kept on closing my eyes and say "Thank You". Guess I have to keep on doing it again, I hope our dear Lord forgave me for forgetting HIM in this simple way.
I don't think it will be held against you at all. You can restart this and all will be fine. take care.
@Paper_Doll (2376)
I always do except if someone I know would react about it. I was once referred to to be pretentious by a colleague for praying before eating. I was offended so every time I would see her in the table, I just go on with eating. I would just eat slowly and would just pray after she leaves. That was my problem in the beginning, I always get my spoon and fork first before praying. It is good that later on, I have learned to really pray first before taking them. I am sure you will get used to that later on.
@jureathome (5363)
Oh, this makes me feel bad about myself, now. When I was younger, my mother always reminds us to pray before we eat. And, we always eat together on one table. Now, I can't even think of praying at all, before meals. And, I have to get back on that habit of doing so, because I have kids that need the guidance. It'd be a pity that they won't learn it from us.
@carmelanirel (21108)
Nope, I pray afterwards, the original way and it saves the "embarrassment"
@mythociate (14205)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
No. I pray before every bite. Christians are too self-centered, thinking G-d can only hear their prayers if they say them OUT LOUD.
@trisha27 (3505)
I used to pray before I ate my food, but I guess it kind of dropped off later on. I wish it hadn't though and that I kept up with praying over my food. I used to work with this one lady, who every time when we were on lunch, she would pray over her lunch before eating. I always commended her for doing it and I always would not eat until she finished praying and I even pray along with her.
@surekharathi (14134)
This is good habit to pray before eating and I think everyone should do this but I always forget to do the pray before eating. Still some persons do the pray everyday before eating or before sleeping.
@asliah (11149)
hi, when i was a kid i remembered that i pray first before i eat,but now that i have grow up,i usually don't pray before i eat even at home or at office,that practiced had gone to me when i grew up,i want to make it a habit again and i will try to do this.
@inertia4 (26784)
I have to say honestly I don't and never did. I am no believer in that. I know when I was with my evil ex, she used to try and push that on me and the kids. I did not think it was important and still don't. I think we all know what we are grateful for in this life. So I see no need in praying. And after all, I am not religious. So it does not make any sense for me to pray.
I don`t pray as I don`t belong to any faith. But when I go to someone`s house where they pray before eating, I lower my head in respect.
@jbb316 (1779)
I always say the blessing before every meal. I've done this since I have been big enough to talk. I have taught my children to do the same. My boys are 5 & 8 now and I rarely have to remind them to do it. I'm so proud of them.
@Melody968 (124)
I am from China and we have no the habit to pray before we eat. But we are so thankful to the nature and our hard work that we can enjoy food for our life. In the estate that my house is located in, there are many foreigners including the friends from USA. I have never seen any foreigner pray before they have their fork in their hand before they eat in the resteraunt. Maybe they pray before they eat at home , right?
@salonga (28072)
My family never eats without praying first and even if alone I'd thank God before eating. I think this is a must. God is the giver of everything we enjoy so we ought to thank him for this. I am actually very observant about this. Whenever we eat out I noticed that it is very seldom to see people praying first before eating. As soon as they see the bountiful food on the table they'd just pick food and eat to their satisfaction.
I do believe that we should be thankful that we have food to eat, but I will also admit that I'm one that is guilty of not always saying grace before I pick up the utensils to eat. I think that the reason that I don't always pray before I eat is because of the fact that grace before meals was not something that I grew up with in my family so it is a habit that I'm really not able to pick up.
@lelin1123 (15645)
• Puerto Rico
Yes my hubby and I pray before we eat every meal. Its something I learned to do as a child and have been doing it ever since. I believe I got my hubby doing it years ago. I don't think his family did this when he was growing up. However, with my two girls we did it as a family and my hubby learned from me and has continued to do so. Funny, I don't think my other brothers and sisters do it anymore I have to ask them.
@leateagee (3667)
I too tend to forget but whenever I remember I do. I always pray not just before I eat. But it is a good habit to give thanks before we recieve the food to nourish our physical body.
@bunnybon7 (34032)
• Holiday, Florida
my son here usually does pray when we are eating together, likely when we arent there to my oldest son that is. but i often forget myself and sometimes have picked up my fork already maybe even taken a bite. theres so many in our house these days eating at different times
@CTHanum (8254)
Always. I will feel guilty if I forgot to say it.(^^) For me it is necessary for one to pray before and after they eat as it for god blessing and show gratitude to Him.(^^)
@911Ricki (13602)
I havent prayed before eating since elementary school as I went to a Catholic school.