People who have no problem yelling back at authority . . .

While my daughter was in school, my little son and I went thrift shopping. Normally I put money in the meters in front of this particular store, but I didn't have any coins on me today. So we parked in back in the bank parking lot. There was a nice shady row under the trees - so I parked there . . . there were hardly any cars in the lot. I saw the sign that it was for bank parking only and that we could get towed . . . but I figured eh, we'd only be there for a short while. As we walked toward the bank, I saw a security guard come out, but he didn't say anything to me . . . but he did walk towards where I parked. We walked around the bank to the front then a few shops down to the thrift shop. While shopping there, I heard an argument. Then I realized it was probably the security guard . . . as he was telling some girl that she parked in the bank parking lot when she wasn't supposed to (OMG - he actually followed her into the thrift shop, I guess!). The whole store can here her cussing out the security guy. As soon as I heard all that, I picked up my son and ran out the door - ha ha. As we were out and on the sidewalk, I heard them behind me. The girl was totally yelling "It's a**holes like you who make this world miserable!" among other things on and on and on. The security guard threatened he took down her license plate number and was all ready to call the police. She shut up and just walked off . . . and I saw the security guard laughing. We got our car moved out a-ok - but I could see the security guard watching from back. Anyway, how do some people have no problem yelling and cussing out authority like that? If that security guy followed me to tell me to move, I would have apologized and moved - afterall, it would be my fault for not obeying the signs. Why make a scene and possibly get in more trouble??
You may not like this response, but I'm going to give it to you real. It's not illegal to yell or cuss at anyone in a position of authority. At best it's disorderly conduct and even that is stretching it. Security guards are not authority figures. They are rent-a-cops that get paid a little more than minimum wage and they get a badge to make them feel important. I'm not saying that the woman was in the right for yelling and cussing at him, but legally she wasn't doing anything wrong. If she parked in the wrong place and got towed, that's her own fault. But it's still not illegal. The guard wasn't going to call the police, I'm sure he was bluffing just to scare her. And if he had, they wouldn't have done anything except tell her to leave and to move her car. Some people just don't car. People in "authority" positions, especially bank security guards think that they can talk to people any way they want to. Maybe she didn't see the sign and he copped an attitude with her and she wasn't in the mood to hear it. She knows she can curse him out and he can't do anything back because he's on the clock. What she did may have been immoral and trashy but it is by no means illegal. Some people just don't care and they know their rights. I've went off on security guards before who think they can talk to people any way they want to or muscle you or man handle you. Some people are just more bold than others, that's all it boils down to at the end of the day.
I agree it's not illegal to fly off the handle at anyone in a position of authority. But it might make the situation worse (something I would rather avoid). Disorderly conduct - that's exactly it. And you're right that security guards aren't really authority figures . . . but you know what I mean - they're there to protect (sort of) or at least they think they do. After I saw the security guard laughing - I'm sure he was just bluffing - but hey, he actually did his job (whereas I see many other security guards doing nothing but stand there). And like you said, that girl was definitely bold that way - I know I'm not bold enough to yell at anyone like that. I guess I've never been approached by a security guard (or police) to make me feel the need to do that!
You came near being caught,fortunately,You got on the ball then.But then,if it were you,you would cast yourself for the security guard's mercy or have the grace to apologize,because you are the type of person who is amenable to reason.The girl was in the wrong,but she went so far as to cuss out the security guy.She should know the security guy had no thought of offending her,he only did his duty.He would get the sack if he didn't do so.
Hee hee - I would have been so embarrassed if I had gotten caught! But then again I know I wouldn't have made a scene about it - just shut up and leave because it would be my fault anyway (or should I play dumb and say "I didn't know"). In any case, the security guy did not bother us, but I have to wonder if he meant that as a sign for us to leave the parking lot too!!
Maybe it was.The way to deal with the same problem always differs from person to person.It depends on their upbringing and disposition.
Perhaps it was easier for him to scare the younger girl - she looked college aged. Maybe he was just being nicer to the older lady (me) with the little child - ha ha!!
• Egypt
sure that people who have no problem yelling back does exit,that is every where and can be observed
Yes, but what makes them do it? I don't think I have it in me to yelling back towards someone who could get me in bigger trouble for doing so. I would think yelling just makes the situation worse. I would just admit my mistake and apologize - and hopefully be able to walk away!
@bounce58 (17524)
First off, it's great that you were able to get your car a-ok! Just a thought, much: could this be from where we came from? I am the same way. If I were confronted with authority like that, I would also be apologizing. And most people I know who came from the same region are respectful of authority, and are mostly afraid of breaking the law, even for just a little bit.
It very well could be, bounce! I don't know if it's a regional thing - or possibly "the way we were raised" kind of thing? My parents were never the argumentative type (at least towards authority). And they've always told us that if we got in trouble because it was indeed our fault, then they would not bail us out and we would have to pay with whatever consequences that were coming to us - ha ha. So you bet I'd be apologizing over and over again - ha ha!!!
@winterose (39922)
some people don't care other people it is a reaction to stress. I raise my voice when I am stressed, I can't help it it is involuntary, but being rude is never an excuse
I'm sure I raise my voice at times, but there's a time and place for it. I guess I wouldn't have done it with a security guard at a bank of all places - and especially if he scoped me out for doing something I should not have done. I'm just glad I was able to get to my car and leave without having to speak with him!
oh my! There are people who ,being fault on their side, but still , wouldnt realize their mistake, and get to argument, the rules are made to follow , and if the authority dont have any problem with it , then its different, but when they have then we should obey them
I don't see why that girl had to reason with the security guard about parking there. She had every right to park there as much as I did - WE WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO PARK THERE!! I knew it, so I took care of. I'm sure she knew it too, but I guess she felt she had to fight.
@flapiz (4151)
My Gosh! All I can say is that girl sure has a lot of guts. It's okay to fight if she was in the right, but she was in the wrong. She looks more foolish in what she did.
Hee hee - oh yah. I wouldn't have had the guts to do that - especially since I would be the loser of that argument no matter what. And yes, bringing all that attention to herself was just so unnecessary. I had my little son with me too - so that's the last thing my son would need to see if I had yelled like that!!!
@Otanetix (509)
People who yell and cuss at security guards are often the aggressive, belligerent type of people. For people with this type of personality, picking fights with other people that give them a hard time is not uncommon. For me, I am not the aggressive, belligerent type who tries to explain how I am excluded from following the sign at the parking lot. While I cannot say that I am a pacifist, I try to avoid confrontations because I don't like the attention. Unless I am arguing for a worthwhile cause like civil rights, I find it unnecessary to pick fights with those trying to enforce the law, especially if I am at fault for not following the directions of the sign. Knowing when to pick your battles is important; if you don't pick them wisely, it just becomes another senseless brawl. Nobody is above the law. If you decide not to follow them, be prepared for the consequences.
Oh yah, I'm not one to pick fights either. I don't mind confrontations - but I avoid that with certain people with whom I can get in bigger trouble with - different from, say friends. That girl should have just said ok and left in dignity. Instead she made an entire scene and probably raised her blood pressure - and for what!
@jenny1015 (13391)
Wow! That was close, right? Others just have such strong personalities that they would not be moved even if they were in front of somebody whom she must respect. Obviously, parking on the bank parking lot wasn't a good move. Ordinarily, people would apologize for instances like this, just like what you have said. I guess, the girl just didn't want to be embarrassed for parking and so her defense mechanism kicked in- to yell at the security guard.
Ha ha - I just didn't want to be towed away or get a ticket! Yah, that girl sure had a lot of steam to blow - the kettle was burning!! Well, it taught me that that bank is good about looking after their parking lot - so I won't park there next time - ha ha! (A lesson learned, at least for me!).