Pet toys look like baby toys . . .

Every time I go to the pet stores, we check out the pet toys. My daughter used to love playing with these toys when she was very little - and now my little son is doing the same. Essentially these pet toys look like baby toys to me - and some of them look like baby toy rejects (missing details, but I'm sure pets wouldn't care)! Surely they are built sturdy enough that pets can't rip them apart. But still - they seem rather expensive for what they are! Today we saw Angry Bird dog and cat toys. Come on . . . they are exactly like the Angry Bird dolls in the toy stores (but for more money). Would pets REALLY be into Angry Birds??? Are the choices in some of these pet toys REALLY for the pet owners?
@dawnald (84132)
• Shingle Springs, California
Ha, right before I read your last sentence, I thought "it's for the owners". lol
Hee hee! I wonder why no one has come out with pet toys that look like ice skates!
@dawnald (84132)
• Shingle Springs, California
too much detail required
But I've made super simple ones out of felt! Hey, so check this out, maybe I could design some cool ones and make them myself since there probably won't be a huge market them. Then I can see if I can sell them to the skating world - see if I can get them to the famous skaters with pets - hee hee!!!
Maybe I am too ill-informed,I have never heard of pet toys apart from pet food.I reckon over there ,there is everything that the pet owners expect to find in the pet stores.My poor dog only plays with its tail sometimes.
Really? Oh, there are sections in our pet stores dedicated to specific pets - dogs, cats, birds, hamsters, etc!! I've found many cat toys to be rather cheap (I'm not certain, but it seems like cats are only interested in toys when they are young). But many of the dog toys are expensive!! One pet store out here has a whole wall row dedicated to squeaky stuffed animals . . . all kinds of animals - some with stretched bodies so I guess the dogs can bit into them or lie down on them. Oh my gosh, and there are cat toys that look like sushi!!!!! I remember my first dog when I was a kid . . . she used to chase her tail that she would run around and around to try and get it - hee hee!!
Hamsters!I haven't seen it.Over here there are so many people who keep dogs ,but few of them spend plenty of money on the dogs.My dog is 10 .It is too old and infirm to chase its tail.
Really, haven't seen hamsters? They are like little short furry mice with big cheeks - hee hee - very cute! Dogs are popular here as well, but people can have a whole array of pets - including chinchillas, snakes, lizards, turtles - and more! What kind of dog do you have? I think our poodle mix chased her tail until her last days!
@ElicBxn (60762)
toys that look like things are for the pet parents, are not for the pets...
Most definitely! We still peruse the pet shops and see these goofy pet toys - still seeing the Angry Bird ones - among other silly toys that my kids could easily buy for themselves.
@hdc4free (264)
Having worked in the pet industry, I can answer some of this. Of course pet owners are the ones doing the buying so the toys MUST appeal to them. They are designed for common things pets need (like biting, scratching, etc) in shapes and designs that will appeal to the owner to buy them. Now as to cost, a lot of the same thinking goes into them as in children's toys, but the pet market is a lot smaller than the toy market, so sometimes the prices are higher, it is all based on the quantities stores are able to buy and how cost effectively they can be made. *sigh* I even get lots of free toys through work and friends and I still spend too much on my 3 cats! LOL
Ah, thank you to a person straight from the industry - that totally makes sense. I imagine that there must be safety issues regarding manufacturing these pet toys too - like childrens toys - and pet owners certainly would want the pet toys to last a decent amount of time (afterall, they are paying loads for them!). Hee hee - you must have some well taken care of cats - hee hee!!!
@winterose (39922)
well dogs and cats do love to hunt birds in their natural environment
Hee hee - yes, that is true! But birds aren't usually geometric shaped with frowning eyebrows!!!
In personal opinion, the companies had their marketing strategies, they based on hoe marketable the angry birds to the consumers. So they tried to maximize the into other product line for pet toys. That is business concepts.Would you agree?
Oh most definitely! Angry Birds was so "in" . . . and it's still popular, but sooner or later it will be "out" as a fad. So I'm pretty sure they're trying to squeeze all they can out of the merchandise they can put out. Did you know they had Angry Bird children's books - colors, 123, etc . . . unbelievable. And yes, they've moved on to pet toys as well.
Pet toys are a hot item. People will spend tons of money on this stuff to keep their pets happy. I can see your kids loving them as they are adorable and cuddly. I always wished I could make some of these things and make a million bucks like most of them do I would imagine. Or at least a nice hefty income from them. Yes, they are for the owners, the pets just want something they can toss around and play with.
I was thinking the same thing that I could make this stuff and sell them!! A lot of the bird toys I've seen are craft stuff we have in the house already. The only think I would be concerned with are the safety issues (how sturdy it is, the colors or finishes in any wood products, etc) which I don't know about when it come to pet toys. Seriously, I look at the prices and go WOH . . . people must be spending lots of money of their pets!!!
@ElicBxn (60762)
Pet toys are absolutely for the owners, except for treats and interactive toys like Kongs and pull toys.
Ha ha - I sure hope the owners aren't hogging up the treats for themselves! But I'll tell ya, they've made some look kinda appetizing for humans . . . I saw the hide lollypops - ha ha!!