Newbie to myLot making mistakes, have you done the same?

I have been on myLot for four weeks and have made many mistakes. I have just recently figured out my friend request pending section. I thought they completely disappeared but they were just hiding in another section. :/ I have also forgotten to check my myLot email notifications to see what they had to say about me. Oh boy! Was there a lot they had to discuss with me! Apparently they way I ask questions and hold discussion are too ... poll-like?!?! For example I am trying to make a decison on something and ask y'all to write some pros and cons on a certain subject and that seems a no-no on myLot. Also if I would've said on this discussion... "Newbie to myLot, am I alone making mistakes or have you done some too?" ... I think I would've been deleted because I wrote the word or and it would've looked like a poll. Is this a common problem to anyone else? And can I get some elp in trying to rephrase my discussion titles? Thank you :) Happy MyLotting!
@owlwings (39101)
• Cambridge, England
It is often quite difficult to decide whether a discussion is a "poll type" question or not and Admin admits that he often has trouble deciding. Any question which can easily or logically be answered in a word or just a few words and which doesn't really encourage a good quality discussion is very likely to be considered a "poll type" question, even if the person has added "... and why?" at the end. Obvious examples are: "What is your favourite music/ice cream flavour/&c?" or "Which do you prefer, A or B?" or "What are your top five hates?". Even asking "... have you done the same?" (and nothing more) could be logically answered by "yes" or "no", so could in some circumstances be considered a "poll type". The best test is probably to read what you have written as your topic carefully before you post it. Think what kind of responses you are expecting (and how YOU might respond if you saw the topic) and, more importantly, what you might have to say in reply to those responses. If the answer is "not a lot", then it is NOT likely to be a "quality" topic in the first place. A good discussion is like a good conversation: it begins with a topic, continues with responses and is maintained (by its originator and others) by comments on those responses. What is said in the conversation/discussion should have some value and be descriptive and relevant to the topic. How helpful is that to you (or anyone else reading this) in deciding how to start a discussion? How well does it demonstrate how a discussion might be continued? Which of these three questions could be answered by a simple answer?
All three questions could be answered by a simple answer, but it would take a very complicated person (or more likely a complicated flower) to think of such a simple answer. Seriously, though, as always you give really great advice, Owl. It is sometimes difficult to determine what would be considered as a poll, and sometimes it is the wording more than the subject matter that makes it a poll. On the other hand, there are things that are very obviously polls, and usually these are also "similar/duplicate" discussions as they require very little thought and therefore seem to be popular.
@owlwings (39101)
• Cambridge, England
It doesn't take a lot of 'complication', I think, (though a considerable amount of deviousness and/or laziness) to answer the three questions as: 1) Very. 2) Quite well. 3) I only see two questions above. Only a very (but ) flower might do that, though! Let's see what "tangleddreams84" (or anyone else, for that matter) makes of the questions!
Even this question could've been seen as a poll type question, are you saying that? I am asking about others expereiences on myLot so that I can better have a good experience and not waste anyones or Admins time. I only get on once a day now it seems so I haven't been on as often as I had been the past month since I started. Let me apologize for having you wait for a response. Owl: Purple has helped me answer my question by just asking for experiences rather than positive/negative opinion as that may be taken as a poll like question. I concluded that myself as purple still felt that wouldn't be taken as a poll type question. I still think it will pos/neg like pro/con. I want to be careful too. The first question I listed my experience with purples comment and so I could say very and the second question I would say helpful and the third question, I would say three, so all could be possibly one word answers. :) I like to expand though. Especially getting a discussion going. Thanks. Did I make you aware of any new problems newbies may have on myLOt? Did y'all write experiences as well? I read purple, how about owl?
@lkbooi (16101)
Hi tangleddreams84, it's normal that we would do mistake when we are new to any site, including mylot. When I was a newbie here I did do a lot of mistakes Anyway the more knowledge we would acquire the more we join in the activities available here Happy posting
It really does not matter what your discussion title says - what matters is what is within the discussion and that there is something of substance to discuss. If you are creating a discussion that can be answered with just a few words ... many of these are yes or no responses but some could be a list of things ... then it is most likely a poll-type discussion. However, there are ways to word discussions where you can still talk about the subject matter you are interested in and not have it be a poll. Let us take getting an iPhone for example. If you just say "What are the pros and cons of me getting an iPhone", then you are really just asking for a list and there is not much to discuss. On the other hand, if you say you are thinking of getting an iPhone and ask about other people's experiences with them, then there is more to discuss. You can also ask about what people think are the positive and negative aspects of them, and again there is more to discuss, because people think that different things are more important than others.
@mysdianait (64059)
You gotta lot to say as ususal!
LOL! I guess that I am just talented that way!
Hi purplealabaster! I thought your picture was Barney the purple dinosaur for a minute. My daughters favorite person on TV. I think that I will just talk xpereiences not about opinions. It seems safer. I figure my questions will be answered more that way. I don't want to go on the border and say negative/positive, thank you!
@jenny1015 (13390)
Hello again, tangleddreams! I think just be specific on what you want to know about a certain topic or situation. Ask mylotters to express how they feel on what you have shared and if it has happened to them too.
Hi again jenny1015! Are we friends on myLot? I'm just figuring it all out. That is how I am doing it now! I am saying how I feel and asking their opinion and experiences. I just hope to word it right from now on. Thank you for the comment!
@jenny1015 (13390)
I don't think we are friends yet. But would surely love to be your friend. Have a nice day ahead!
I requested you and I am hoping to find time to thank my friends for commenting etc. I choose friends that usually have things in common with myself or my discussions. I also love friends that have good advice. I want to friend you to see what you have to say on other things too when I get onto my home page on signing up here on myLot. Happy MyLotting!
@Juliyan23 (600)
Yup! My discussion was deleted due to they said it was a poll- like. I never meant to creat a poll nor game like . I was telling a story how happy I was when cooking some cookies for Ied'l Fit'r .. lol I have been here for more over 3 weeks too.. and I have read FAQs also the guidlines over and over but I think I just haven't gotten use too . I will learn something one by one everyday I am on myLot ;) Have a wonderful day! =)
Yes I feel exactly like you. I think I just haven't gotten used to it yet. Meaning the lingo or language to properly use the discussion boards here on myLot. Thank you for your comment. I feel not alone in this dilemma. Happy myLotting!
Yup! You are exactly not only the one who feel the same ;) Some people which ever created a discussion with the same kind of theme of mine wasn't deleted - so I guess yes - The language has to be properly used so there would be any misunderstanding anymore about my topic :) Have a wonderful day! =)
@sylvia13 (1851)
• Nelson Bay, Australia
Everybody makes mistakes, me included! Just keep on having your dreams and carrying them out! One learns everyday and you will soon see that you do too! Keep on enjoying Mylot and a happy experience here!
It is good to see I am not alone in the mistake department. It seems I make the same mistakes with different formats in the poll-like formats I have used. I don't want to keep repeating this that is why I am asking for advice from fellow mylot tees. If you can tell me some phrases you have experienced being deleted I would live to discuss it with you further. Thank you for the positive response!
@Fulltank (2896)
Once in a while, I do see messages on my e-mail informing me of a deleted discussion where I had replied to. Its not me who causes it as I already knew most of the rules here. My mistake on this case is that I never had foresee a discussion to be deleted by the admins. Now, I'm trying my best to avoid replying to discussions that will be eventually get deleted. Anyway, we learn from our mistakes and by doing it, we become a better person and eventually learn the hows and if's in this site.
Which discussions do you see deleted most often? I am trying to refrain from doing that as well. Should it be a warning for others that I do this? Only 6 of my 86 discussions were deleted and they were all in the beginning, that should mean I'm getting better right? Please give me any examples of bad discussion format you have experienced if possible. Thank you.
You are catching on. Try to never write a discussion with the subject line ending in a question (although I have done it myself and it's gone okay). Whether it's really a poll or not, people will report you. And try not to take it too personally, because some of these old time mylotters used to make the same mistakes themselves. They often forget that. You might have already done it, but it's always a good idea to check out mylot's guidelines. It might help you avoid some future mistakes. I also find that if you answer the discussions of the people on your friend list, you'll be more inclined to get answers of your own. I have all of my notifications on, and I go through every single one of my friends discussions before I take on another person's. The one exception being the mylot digest, which is where I found this discussion. I hope you enjoy the site and find a lot of positive things about it.
I see about the question part. That is difficult. I have gone over the guidelines so many times. I think I do it right but then when its deleted I figure they are right of course and try to see how they would see it be against guidelines. I'm learning everyday. Thank you for not making me feel alone:)
@missjahn (4578)
i started in mylot for more than a month now. like you, have committed violation/s like that of poll game. it is a kind of violation that you are triggering to have a race or a game like to the members who joined your discussion. i had two posts that were being deleted and pity to those who replied with it because their replies were being deleted too. one mistake i did was that i am too hot or to eager to make my own discussion most of the time. i mean, it is not a sin when what would you like to do is to write your own discussion and not paying attention to the write - ups with others but it is not the way it should be in here. you must participate too, to give your own opinion. well, think if all of the members here would just start and never participate, what would gonna happened in this community? there would be no interactions to each and of the members in here. and who would do the task of answering to any post. i hope you get my point. feel greedy about that. but it is not too late to be attentive with everyone's posts. i made mistakes and learned much after. so thank you for the opportunity being given to answer your discussion :) have a happy day!
I apologize to all my responders too for their comments being deleted. Six or so of mine were deleted I believe. One mistake I made was the poll-like the other mistake was asking how to better a recipe and another was a duplicate submission I didn't know how to delete. Now I know I can report myself to Admin to delete a repeat submission. I apologize again for being a newbie Responders! I was getting responses and didn't notice until later when I got an email that they were deleted. I was upset I can't imagine the responders as well. The posts grow over time that is so so true and I must only see on my homepage when there is an update to an old one. I will try to do this more often for my responders. Thank you for responding!
No ones perfect in this site, don't feel so negative about it. Take it as a constructive criticisms. I, myself had encountered and dropped tag as "newbie". At first, I was surprised. But I just convince myself that we can not please everybody. Cheer up!
Thank you for your concern Shavkat! I guess I was feeling down about me doing the same mistakes. I called myself a newbie. I truly am a newbie and am learning something new each day. Thanks for the cheer up! Happy myLotting!
@airasheila (5459)
good day tangleddreams84, with reference to your topic, well, when i was still a newbie here, i almost encounter some mistakes. and i guess, encountering mistakes are just a part. since we are not familiar yet to the process. aside from that, perhaps due to our eagerness to earn quickly, we are just walking and striking without thinking thoroughly the path we are taking. as a result, we are ending up in some error. however, what matters most is we are trying to lift up ourselves and learn from the mistakes that we have committed. so we will not do it again next time. hence, it is but common to make mistakes, the most important is, we are trying to seek the room for improving our selves and do our best not to have an error again.
Good day airasheila! I am truly concerned with the title topic because I want to continue on this site and hate getting comments deleted. Thank you for being concerned as well. Your commetn was very inspirational and well worded. I want to learn from my mistakes and hear others experiences so I may learn from their mistakes also. Thank you for your very thoughtful response. Did you have any particular experience as a newbie that you could share to better help me understand myLot? Thank you.
Hi friend, all the newbies are doing various mistakes in their starting days, as we don't know more about this site, after getting experience and knowledge about this site, we will reduce our mistakes. We must read the terms, faq and guidelines of this site to avoid deletions
@STOUTjodee (3419)
I'm a "newbie" too. Less time though. I got a discuusion deleted for starting a poll/game discussion. I've been on different sites like this (never got paid tho) and I think that the way there options are set up are hard to get around. Didn't know the contact or guidelines button is on the bottom of the page. I've been fortunate enough to have friends that have responded to questions that I've made on how to find things out or such, but when you're on here you run into different issues that you have that you never encountered before . When I got the email notification, I contacted them back and expressed my concerns. If my post gets deleted, I'm sorry to the people that answered it. Also, my concern is the "definition" of a poll, to mean a poll is when you're given choices and you pick one. I can understand that this a site to express yourself, and I'm sure if the polls (by my definition)that they would allow would be excess and not to get people to share experiences. I guess, what I'm trying to say is they need to explain more of what they expect of us and explain so there is no doubt.
@jaiho2009 (39021)
The best to avoid having a discussion getting deleted is to read the FAQ's section. I also suggest that you should comment every responses that you receive in your discussion. Participate to other topics and try to inter-act with other mylotters by writing sub-comments to their boxes.
I also encountered that situation. The discussions I posted were deleted because they were under poll-type questions. I mentioned some choices so maybe it sounded like a survey. Also, by answering newbie's questions about the earnings. They were under earnings algorithm. So now, my discussions are almost all about my life experiences to play safe.I just ask in the end of my discussion or post if what do they think about my post or to share their thoughts. Just go over the guidelines again and again. Happy mylotting.
making mistakes is normal whether you are old or new to the site. It's your way of growing just learned from your mistake. Don't be discourage keep on going for mylot is a nice site. It makes you learn, earn and meet new friends. There are times that even how careful we are in following some rules we sometimes commit mistakes and it's a part of learning.
@Orson_Kart (4353)
I think the trick is NOT to be as newbie, respond only to discussions from veterans for at least a year, then dip your toe in the water if you feel confident. You don't earn money from starting them anyway, so why bother. If you need answers to a specific question, then slip it slyly into an existing discussion and see what pops out. I prefer to slip mine in slyly, but it often goes unnoticed.
@silverfox09 (4727)
Tangle I also made a lot of mistake when I just started to be active in this site last month . I had discussion deleted and I still might get a discussion deleted even now. I am still learning and I sometimes have friends that I can now PM when need help so that kinda make it easier for me .
@else22 (4319)
I am older than you in this site,but admit that I frequently make mistakes here.Sometimes I respond to discussions that are likely to get deleted.Today one of my responses got deleted,because the discussion under which it was got deleted.I often commit mistakes in determining which decision may get deleted.Such notifications often appear in my inbox.Now I am feeling to have a better understanding of Mylot guidelines and studying it carefully.