I want to make fabric handbags..

I went to the fabric store to see all the great patterns they have now. I was thinking I could make some of those shopping bags that people can put over thier shoulder. I could advertise on craigslist and put out flyers in my area. I live in a big building and I could put a flyer on the board in the hall by the elevator. I was thinking this could help me save for my older years. I could help my family more as well. I have seen some pretty bags and know with a little practice I could master my own bag and style. I ama little creative as well. what is your thought about making bags to resell? thanks very much. Oh,I loaned someone my sewing machine and it has been onths now since she had it. she is making clothes for church members. do I go get my machine or buy a new one. she had it for about 6 months.
@cotruelove (1038)
• Denver, Colorado
Hello again, Gifts, I'm assuming you lent the machine to your friend, and didn't give it to her. IF you lent it to her, you need to request she return it in the same condition as when you lent it to her. I appears she has been making money with it, so she should be able to purchase her own machine. Buying a new machine is not cheap, and you probably already know how to use yours. Be sure if you plan on making things to sell, that whatever you make isn't costing you more than you make in profit. You need to figure out how much money you spend per item and what the cost is, plus you have a cost for labor. Then you have to price it where it will sell. Unfortunately, I'd like to tell you how successful I've been with selling my crafts, but it appears I have averaged only fifty cents per any sold item for my labor regardless of how much I invest. I've made all kinds of things I thought would sell, including sewn items, crocheted and knitted, and learned I have a lot of supplies for doing it, but very few sold items. Finding a place to sell things that are profitable is difficult. I have a long list of places I've tried, and none produced much. Your friend is sewing to order and that is a whole different marketplace. My mom was a seamstress and made clothes for people, and she charged an hourly wage. Most people complained about that, and so, she had only a few people willing to allow her to sew for them. The quality of her product was superior to clothing purchased in a store and, of course, the clothes were not duplicated in 40 sizes and colors, and made to fit properly. IF you have nothing else to do, than I recommend the satisfaction of mind acquired from making hand crafts and selling them, when possible, for the few dollars you will receive. However, I have found I make things for myself, save money doing it, and save more by not accumulating supplies to make things that will probably sit on a shelf for 10 years waiting for someone to buy them. Just my experience, perhaps, someone has had a better experience than I have. Most of the successful hand crafters attend craft fairs which cost a fee and they make a career out of doing nothing but crafts. They are not part time crafters and they invest a lot of their money, time and effort into making crafting work. Whether she has had it for six months or not, it is time to reclaim your property or she can buy it from you.
I did very well with my koolaid bags and it was good for a long while. Then it slowed down and money was tight. so,I stopped making them. now that I live in this building I was thinking about making some to sell to my neighbors.
• Denver, Colorado
I'd try what I'd had success with in the past, first. But you have reminded me that I need to go to a neighborhood quilt shop and see if a handbag pattern came in I've been looking forward to making. If I get it and make it, I'll take a photo and put it on here, or maybe I'll take a photo of the one in the shop. The handbag is quilted and just beautiful. I'd like one just for me if for no one else.
@Tina30219 (36625)
• Onaway, Michigan
That sounds like fun I wish I knew how to sew. Just to let you know have you thought of etsy to sell your bags a lot of people use the site to sell their craft items on and they do good from what I hear.On your sewing machine I say you ask her if she is done because you need to use it or kindly tell her you need it back.
I like etsy but it is cheaper to open an online store and sell like that. ecrater is good for that as well.
@Tina30219 (36625)
• Onaway, Michigan
Thanks for the advice on that. As soon as me and my daughter get to making some things I am going to check that site out. My daughter is good at knitting and my girlfriend came up with an idea to make baby blankets for our local pregnancy resource center and take them to them. I would also like to get involved in selling things at craft fairs.
If you have the skills and the passion, no need to wait but to go for it. I like that an idea, trying to explore the things that we wanted. If you do, let me see the product of creativeness. Looking forward to it.
I will be looking inot it real soon because winter is coming and I need something to do.
@yoyo1198 (3643)
I make those reusable grocery bags. But I do them in crochet. The end product looks like netting. I use all different weights of yarn so they don't all end up looking the same. They sell fairly well. I think you should make it a point to get your sewing machine back. Whoever has it has had it long enough. It doesn't make sense for you to do without or have to buy a new one. They're not exactly inexpensive. I know you'd give anyone the shirt off of your back, but don't let people take advantage of that. It's your machine. Get it back.
I am going to look inot a pattern to start off with . the girl who has my machine said she would show me how to amke one. she can sew clothing very well.
@Yheart (497)
I hope your plan will work. It's good for women to do something to help the rest of their life. About your sewing machine, pay attention to it first whether it's still very good or not, and whether buying a new one will give you more benefit.
I need to go see it one day and would you belive I was there at her house today. stupid me.
I think you would do well with the bags, you always did well with the Koolaid bags. I know you are creative. As far as the sewing machine goes, you will have to make that decision yourself.
@cutepenguin (6457)
I would probably get my own machine back. If she can make clothes on it, it probably will work for bags as well. Sewing, though, is a lot of work and you can't charge a lot for it, so your per hour rate could be lower than you expect. Still, it could be a nice way to supplement your income.
• Portugal
you can ask her to give you back the machine^^ im sure she can buy one cause she has a job^^ its unfair that you need to buy a new one if you already have it. im glad that you are thinking about creating your own business^^ im sure you can sell it also in ebay^^ maybe that way you can save money and maybe someday open your own shop^^ if you are talented enough to do that you should risk. good luck for you^^