You can't hit me

because you're black! One of the kids that Paul has played baseball with since he was four years old is a precious little African American boy. Just like Paul, he started kindergarten three weeks ago. However, he is experiencing some serious difficulties at school because of racism. There is another little boy at the bus stop that is also a kindergartener and gets up in JJ's face and tells him that he can't hit him because he is black. This happens at the bus stop in the mornings and also at school. JJ's mother is thinking about pulling JJ from this school because of this. She has talked to the teacher and the teacher is doing nothing about it. The other little boy's mother won't do anything about it, she stands by and just watches her son do this in the mornings. Now the city that we live in is a very diverse city. There is a pretty even mix of black, white and Hispanic individuals and this kind of racism is something that is definitely not acceptable in my opinion. These children are so young too. What would you do if your child was being picked on like this? Would you go to the administration at the school, or would you find another school for your child?
@jillhill (37384)
I would go to the administrator...its their job to make sure things like this don't happen either. We do need more laws against bullying too...I think it stinks that young children are being brought up with this kind of racism! The parents should be held accountable too.
I honestly believe that racism in small children like this is a direct result of seeing racism by their parents. I've never been a racist person and when my children first saw people of different color for the same time and questioned me about it, I sat down with them and explained to them that there are people of all different colors and that doesn't make them any different from us. However, I have to admit that I did have a hard time convincing Paul that a black person was simply different skin color and it wasn't because they never get in the bathtub.
@bunnybon7 (35893)
• Holiday, Florida
if i was the mother i would go to the school board and tell them if something isnt done about this kids rudeness and bullying, i would go to the media. and if they think that wouldnt be trouble for that school, they have another thing coming. the mother could even sue!
I think that if something hasn't changed as of tomorrow that I would be the one that would be demanding to have a meeting at the school with the other parent, the classroom teacher and the principal at the school. If that didn't make a difference, I would probably be the one that would put a leak to the media.
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
How horribly sad for this little boy. I would not tolerate it for another day and would demand a meeting with the administration and the other boy's parents. This cannot be allowed to continue as the poor little boy is being scarred. Imagine what he now thinks of himself? Only as a last resort would I take my child from the school but would work to have this problem solved. I am a quiet person but when my children are involved then I turn into a rotweiler! I would fight this to the end for my child. It has to be sorted so the child can feel a sense of worthiness and develop good self esteem. Wow, I am so angry at this
You and I both. I can put up with a lot when it comes to things that are directed to me. However, when it comes to things that are happening to my children, I simply will not deal with it. You know, my son is blond and blue eyed and my daughter is dark haired and dark eyed and the bullying and getting made fun of that they are getting at school is that no one will believe that they are brother and sister and not cousins.
@lynboobsy11 (11346)
I think teachers and administration should be part of it and not only parents will mind this matter. Parents always want best for their children and choosing right school is the first way to make their children have knowledge. Administrator must have some rules for racism and this must discussed in some parents too to teach their kids be nice in everybody that all humans are all the same no white or black has to be classified.
You are right and I think that the only way that they will be able to get rid of this problem at the school will be to have a meeting with both children's parents, the teacher and the administration at the school.
@Jshean20 (14373)
Bullying can have such long term affects on a person that I think I would end up pulling my kid out of that school and changing areas if need be, it's unbelieveably sad that children are facing this kind of disrespect and drama at such a young age. In reality what could the administration at the school really do besides trying to talk to the kids parents? Sadly I don't think it would result in anything.
What is really getting me about this is the fact that our school district here has a strict anti-bullying policy and yet they haven't done anything about it yet and it has been going on since school started in the middle of August.
@camomile07 (1422)
Changing the small child to another school, in my opinion is not the solution for it, because doing so he would learn that it's right what they are saying about his colour, the other little boy who is practising already the racism may think that he is doing well and will carry on with his behaviour which with the age can still turn worth and the school never will learn to resolve problems until something heavier may happen. Maybe the mom should have a serious talk to the other childs mom and also with the administration of the school. If a normal conversation from adult to adult won't help, there might be still other administrations where she may go to ask for advice or even help. But it's definitly the fault of the mom who doesn't show to her own child that racism isn't the right way.
I agree with you that it has to boil down to being the fault of the other child's mother as she is the one that is standing by and watching this happen at the bus stop. I certainly hope that they are able to resolve the problems that they are having at school so that JJ will be able to have a positive experience at school as opposed to being something where he feels oppressed.
@savypat (20247)
Now is the time to teach this child how to deal with this. He may face this for many years and needs to learn a way to handle it without the lose of his goals. I was an Americal Jew, but I never knew that until I went to kindergarten, I never told my parents of the names that I was being called, I was to ashamed, I didn't even know what a Jew was, but was sure it was something that I had done wrong. We were not part of the Jewish community in fact we attended a Christian church so I had no preperation for handling this treatment. It was several years before I understood that it all meant. My childhood would have been much easier if my parents had even thought to protect me, by preparing me for the stupid people in the world.
I do think that it would make a difference if all parents were to prepare their children for the cruel people in the world. However, I also don't think that this kind of hatred should exist in the world today, least of all it shouldn't exist in a country where every person has such a different background.
@savypat (20247)
My point is that it does exist. In fact an expeiment with babies, barely passed one year showed that if shown two teddy bears and one bear enjoyed the same treat as the baby while the other, showed it didn't like the treat, the baby choose the colored teddy who like the same things the baby liked, it paid no attention to the other bear. The baby even continued to choose the same colored bear no matter how long it was between tests. In other words segration comes with birth, that makes you feel it is part of nature's defense program. Of course we are born with many of natures protections, but as we become self aware thinking individuals we pick and chose how we want to conduct our lives.
I didn't realize that it was something that was shown from the time that children were very young. That is amazing to me. I've worked hard through my entire life to make sure that my children don't discriminate against others. You know, some of the best friends that I've ever had in my life are people that are very different from me.
• Mathura, India
Respected my dear mylotter, What a painful new discussion it is that has been started from your end on mylot on a very interesting topic? I was not ready to see it anywhere. I think nobody has a right to raise any racial comment. School administration should take hard action in the matter so that any other student of their school as well as other school may raise racial comments. Racial comments are black spots on the so called newer world and generation. I hate it hard. Racial comments are not acceptable in any case. I shall wait for the action at the end of school and raise the matter before the authorities against the school if does not take action. I shall immediate withdraw my ward from such a indiscipline school. Have a nice day and take care. Happy mylotting. (°J°)[Em]niceday[/Em] (°|°)
I never think that racism is acceptable because of the fact that we are all human beings. Now, there are some situations that I could see something like this happening, for example in a community that isn't all that segregated. However, where I live, there is not a majority race, there are as many black individuals as white individuals and almost as many Hispanic individuals as well. Living in a mixed community like this, I just don't understand how racism can occur.
• Mathura, India
Racism is a world wide problem. Few years ago, I came to know that a senior cricketer of Cricket Australia was addict to pronounce race comments. Once a while passed a serious race comment to Harbhajan Singh, a great spinner of Team India. Actually, he was unable to face balls bowled by Singh so break his concentration he passed race comments.
You are right that racism is a world wide problem. But, despite the fact that it is a problem everywhere, that doesn't mean that it is something that should be accepted.
@trisha27 (3505)
Wow!! Really, yeah they do start off so young. But I think that they learn it from home, starts from the parent. I think I would have done the same thing, but also took it as high as I could take it and if no one still listened to me then yes I would look for another school. That is sad that not even the teachers want to do anything about it. I wasn't surprised his mother didn't say anything.
You are right that it is most likely something that is coming from home. However, that doesn't make it any more acceptable. I'm pretty sure that JJ's mother said that she would give the teacher until Tuesday to do something about it and if that didn't happen that she would be talking to the principal of the school to see if that will be able to change anything.
@trisha27 (3505)
Yeah you are right it isn't acceptable and I would never allow any kids I had to say that to anyone. If so they would be in big trouble. And if the parents are even saying stuff like that they shouldn't be saying it around their children. I really hope that the mother can get some things changed or the principal can do something about fixing that and not allowing things like that in the school.
I haven't heard anything more about it, but if I know JJ's mother and I do kind of know her, she will not stop until she is able to get something done about the situation. It would be terrible if her wonderful son was scared so young because of this terrible racism.
@ShyBear88 (17159)
I would be very upset if that was happy to either of my little ones. I got some strange looks as kid because I don't look like my mom. I expect the same thing when my little ones both start school getting asked if I'm really there mommy and gave birth to them. It's just sad to see a little kid act like that and that the parents don't do anything about. I would probably change schools and then take it up with the school distract about how wrong it is for them not to do anything about it and them not talking to the parents of that child saying racist thing. I know little kids do not understand that but an adult should.
That is kind of what I think. It would kind of be an entirely different thing if it wasn't for the fact that the other child's mother is standing there at the bus stop watching while this is happening and isn't doing anything about it.
@ShyBear88 (17159)
I couldn't just stand there I know that for sure. Weather that child was mine or not I would say something if that child's parent was there or not. It's sad that there is still racist people in the world that will teach the next generation of children to be the same way.
It is very sad that racism still exists, especially here. You know why I say that, this city is a very diverse place and that is one of the things that makes it so terrible to me. You know, the school that my kids go to has pretty much an equal division of white, black and Hispanic students.
@natliegleb (5186)
i would rather shout and yell at the administration of the school and ask them to take strict action and then move out of the school and find a better and nice school for the boy,we need to react in such kind of situations normally
I feel that if it was my son in this situation, that I would demand to arrange a meeting with the parents of the other child, their classroom teacher and the principal of the school. Only if that failed to have any kind of changes to occur would I move my son to another school.
That's so sad - and yes, it's a shame this is going on at kindergarten age. I am thinking this must be learned behavior - I rarely, if ever, hear kids calling out differentiation in such a negative manner at this young age. It's sad too that a teacher is not willing to get involved. I would definitely go to administration about it - call a meeting with the principal and the parents of the bully. This is totally not acceptable - and it's something that would need to be take care of immediately.
I agree with you that it is something that needs to be taken care of immediately. I can see where JJ's mother would like to change schools because of the fact that her son is being picked on, but ultimately that is not the solution because it would just allow the bully to pick on another child. My feeling is to nip it in the butt before it gets to be too unbearable.
@tigeraunt (6331)
of course the black boy can hit back if he is hit by the white boy. do boxers in the ring choose the color of their opponent? ohhhhh! you know am just frustrated and angry with these bullies and all. i know they are kids. it is best to talk to teachers and people in authority in the school. and i hope they make somethings to correct all these.
I really do think that the only thing that might even begin to put a stop to this is going to be a meeting that includes the parents of both of the children, the classroom teacher and the principal of the school. It is only if everyone is on the same page that this kind of behavior can be stopped.
The problem is that someone has apparently taught this kid that if a kid of another color hits him that it will be a racial crime instead of just a school fight. It doesnt matter what color a kid is to me fighting is not ok and neither is bullying which is what this kid is doing. The mother should be discipling her kid. If that was my kid treating another child that way they would be punished. It really makes me angry to hear this.
Same with me, I would never put up with either of my children treating another child this way. All people are created equally and for that reason, there should never be a person that is singled out because they look different from yourself.
@shylade (3137)
I will go and talk to the administration. This is something that should not be ignored and be corrected while they are still young. I hope they don't be a bully one day.
Paul's friend is not the one that I think will ever turn into a bully, he is one of the sweetest little boys that you will ever meet. However, having another child do this to him might be something that will change the child that he is.
@SomeCowgirl (32271)
*mylot glitchies* That is awful, but I would go all the way to the school board to complain. That teacher should be doing something. It's happening at the school bus or at school or both? If they are in the same class, I'd say ask them to move one to another class...
It is something that is happening both at the bus stop and in the classroom. I think that is what makes this situation so terrible. At the bus stop in the morning, the other boy's mother is there and she is doing nothing to stop it. At school, JJ's mother has sent a message to the teacher and things haven't changed yet.