Do you think twice before reacting to a situation?

@besweet (7230)
Greece
Sometimes we have to face difficult situations in life and we all have different reactions. I am one of the people that think a lot before my final decision. I keep my first thoughts for a while and then I try to think from another angle and then calculate the consequences of my reactions! I know people that will do the first thing that comes to mind! I think sometimes it is better to be spontaneous and show your feelings or follow your instinct! Overthinking has kept me from saying things That I wanted to say but sometimes it has also protected me from being exposed emotionally! I don't know what's best , every individual has a different way of reacting, what is your way of facing unexpected situations?
@fatlex06 (895)
Decisions are sometimes hard if the situation is unexpected. :( But what I do is face it through thinking what's the best solution to the problem. I don't want to regret something for what I have decided without thinking. But I think I'm not over-thinking. Sometimes, it do confuse me a lot. Sometimes, I also decide on the spot. I don't know but there are some sure decisions that I can decide on without thinking it over or thinking if it's right. Now, I'm confused. lol :) Have a great day.
@besweet (7230)
• Greece
Haha :) I think that your decisions might be based on instict from what I understand! That's why you know what's right and wrong by instinct and react immediately. In complicated situations, having some extra thought is needed if we want to be sure about what we are going to do! It's harded to decide if our decision also involves other people.
I just react to the situations in a open manner if they are quite unexpected to me. The way of reacting just depend up on my mood and it varies from time to time but I just calculate the things well if the matter or happenings is more important to me. So I just calculate according to the good profit calculation.
@besweet (7230)
• Greece
It's good that you are able to calculate the consequences and act accordingly! Some people get fristrated and can't think clearly, I think that if you always try to keep a distance and an objectivity with every situtation that happens then you will be able to remain calm and think what's best to do at the moment!
@Otanetix (509)
In my life, I have faced situations where I held back my first instinct. Despite wanting to act on my first thoughts, I try to usually hold back and think of the consequences about my actions before acting. For the most part, I have been able to suppress my emotions that would otherwise have me make a rash decision. For instance, I don't usually find back when people treat me badly with verbal abuse. If they try to go the physical route with treating me badly, it depends how they approach me. I took a couple years of martial arts when I was a kid and got bullied a lot in early primary school. With my experience, I would either have the impulse of backing away or fighting head on based on their fighting skills. While it's not good to fight, some people do not listen to reason. It becomes different if someone is abusing one of my friends in front of me; that is when I do not hold back my instincts. Thank goodness this has happened too often, but during the times it did happen, I always defended my friends.
@besweet (7230)
• Greece
I don't like verbal fighting or physical fighting either. I think that they don't lead anywhere, verbally there can be a solution only if there are real points and not only curse words. So if am going to respond back to an insult for example, I will do it with true facts and only if there is a reason. I haven't been involved in physical fights and I hope I'll never have to do this, I don't like it when people hurt each other on purspose!
I agree with your point of view,but i am a impetuous person. Perhaps,that's why i always hurt others's feelings unintentional.At the same time,i was sad too. Generally,once i have to face the terrible situation,the words such as escape,give up or strike back will flash in my head. In order to get rid of this bad habit,i am learning control my mood,and think twice before make a decision.
@besweet (7230)
• Greece
Overreacting can cause big stress to you, especially if you say things that hurt the people you love. Having control of yourself will protect you from this, because we should always have in mind that others might not understand the reason why we act like this when we are angry. I' ve lost a friend from this situation because he was always yelling and saying hard things when he was angry without thimking about the person standing in front of him or the other people around. I felt very embarrased one time and explained him why but he said that it's part of his character and he cant change. Personally, I believe that it can be controled if you really want it!
@Raine38 (9029)
I admit as well that my initial thoughts and preferred reaction is to fight crap with crap and answer back whatever's running in my mind. But fortunately, I was able to keep all these just inside my mind. I just clench my fists on my side, then hide them slowly behind my back while my mind runs all my preferred reactions, lol! WWhen I'm done with those thoughts, I take a deep breath and answer in a very calm and civil way. I do state my displeasure but I never go down to the level of someone who is offending me.
@besweet (7230)
• Greece
Being able to stay calm and think is an advantage for most people. My first reaction is also based on anger and my thoughts are unclear. When I have managed to keep my temper and calm down I also try to maintain a high level and a civilised reaction.
I have been a fighter all my life. I had to defend myself growing up in some harsh situations. as I got older and removed a lot of people from my life. I got to the point where I can just sit back and watch while people make an azz of themselves. I do speak up if I am in the street and something happens around me.. LIke when I saw a man hitting a woman. I screamed at him and told himhe better not hit her again. I know he could have come across the street and beat me up. but,that was not on my mind. I just thought about saving that girl.
@besweet (7230)
• Greece
I would have done the same if I had witnessed a situation like that. People that live in big cities get used to pass by and let things happen without reacting. Actions like this one should cause people's reactions especially when they happen in public places! You did good that you saved that girl, it needs courage but violence like this is unacceptable. I've been in a situation where a man was touching a random young woman in the bus, the bus was full and at every traffic light when the bus was stopping he was falling on her and touching her in an inappropriate way. She didn't say anything so I asked her with a loud voice if she is ok because that man is annoying her. The other people in the bus understood what was going on and pushed him out at the next stop. This has happened to me in public transport as well and it's awful for every woman, so I decided to speak for her because I think that she was embarrased. In this kind of situations we should react no matter what happens.
@tipay26 (873)
In life there is no permanent thing the only permanent thing in this world is change everyday we have to adjust with situations that we will face.But I will have to face a given situation I would first ask why why did it happen and what will I do now that it happened.I am the type of person that gets angry at first specially if I don't understand the reason.I am very open to my feelings I say them immediately but when a certain situation happened to me I learned to keep quiet first then think.Some friends told me that I should never make decisions when I am mad because I would never get the best solution if I am angry making decisions it will always be about my anger that will be the result hahahah..
@besweet (7230)
• Greece
Being angry doesn't let us think clearly. Whenever I feel mad, I wait until I calm down and then when I think about all the aspects of the situation that I am facing, I can see that things are never black & white. Many times we are also responsible for what happens and although my first reaction is to blame others, when I think again with clear mind and mature thought, I react based on the responsibility that everyone has. When I am angry I only see one way of facing things, but on the second thought I find better altrenatives and act accordingly!
@jenny1015 (13390)
Instinctively, I would have the thought of fighting back (example, if somebody tells something bad about me), but most of the time I just let it pass. But if things like these go on, I step up and say my piece. I do not them to have the wrong impression of me. Whether they listen to me or fight back, I don't care, for as long as I have told them what I want. During my younger years, I would just often find myself sulking, but when I got older, I learned to fight back. In some instances, if something really important needs to be decided, I go with the first thing on my mind.
@besweet (7230)
• Greece
Yes, sometimes it is good to wait until you calm dowm and fight back in a smart way. Sometimes when we are angry we might say things that we don't mean. I am also letting things pass by, depending on how much they affect me. When it comes to decisions, they say that if we can't decide, we should follow our first thought which is based on instinct! And this has been the correct one most of the times, based on my experience!
• Mathura, India
besweet Because individual differences, we have different reactions in different situations of the life. You think but I plan a lot before my final decision. First of all I focus my all the thoughts to centralize picture and after drawing out it I start to plan accordingly to go to make a final decision. “I am thinking to go to taj, how much money will be needed for?” my spouse was asking me. I replied “nothing!” . “Why so?” she again questioned me. I now explained my stand point in detail, “My dear neither there is any expense or the tax on thinking. Could you understand? First of all centralize you all the thoughts whether you should go there or not? If you draw a picture that you have to go there, then plan your visit. Now ask me about the expenses and I shall be in position to give an answer.” She was so sweet now to smile.