Um hello it's 45 min later

To my surprise the bus was fairly on time today. Well the relative who was to pick up the neighbor kid knocks on my door 45 min after my kids got home asking if the child was on the bus w/ my kids... um no. Now the kids were home at the time for 45 minutes before she came to my door and asked about the child and what the number was for school. IDK about you but my nose would be out the window looking for the kids to get off the bus or at the actual stop waiting. I sure as heck wouldn't wait 45 min to question where the child is would you?
@ElicBxn (60884)
I don't think so, but I don't have children, so I'm not sure. I guess it sort of depends on the age of the child. Under 8, at the stop; under 10, at the door/window; under 12, making sure they checked in when they got home (and if more than a few minutes late, I'd be at the door); under 16, they'd probably be in and working on homework!
The child is 6. The stop is only a few houses away I can see everything from my kitchen window. However, the bus sends a notice when the kids will be home approx now why this information was or wasn't shared with the relative I don't know.
@ElicBxn (60884)
That's different, you practically are waiting at the stop, without the potential of embarrassing a budding free spirit...
This is slack parenting. A child that young should have the parents waiting at least at the front door or in the yard for them to get off of the bus. I always waited at the bus stop for my kids when they were that young.
@deazil (4556)
What kind of a relative is that to watch your kids? The parents probably didn't know that person was so unconcerned about their kids well being. That was totally irresponsible. I hope the kids are okay. Once, when my son was about 2yrs old I was outside in the yard watching him play. There were 3 of us moms out there with our kids. The phone rang so I asked the woman next door (same building, across the hall) to watch my son while I went to get the phone. I picked up the phone, it was my mom, I just started to tell her I'd have to call back when I saw out the window my son almost at the end of the driveway heading for the street. I ran out the front door and caught him, went out back and told my neighbor and she laughed and said "I never even saw him leave".??????? Was it a joke? He could have gone into the street and been killed. I learned my lesson. Nobody cares about your kid like you do.
I agree no one cares about your kids like you do. The experts wife has let that child when she was 2ish run down the driveway by herself. Mind you we are only a few houses in from a very very busy highway/intersection. I know my oldest thought she was funny as all heck to take off down the drive and down the road at 2 so I freaked when I saw her kid look to do something similar.
@deazil (4556)
Whatever happened to responsible parenting? Thanks for commenting!
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
There was one time my twins had a sub driver and they didn't get off the bus. I was on the phone with the transport department before the bus was even out of my sight!
Exactly, you didn't see your kids you got on the phone! You didn't sit for 45 min daydreaming wondering where they were?
I've been lucky that my kids are usually dropped off in front of my house so I never have to travel down the road or anything to wait for them. Being that they're dropped off in front of the house and the bus has to drive right past me, I usually know when the bus has gone by.. so it's easy to know if the kids are home on time or not. If the bus is running late I might ask someone I know whether or not their kids are home yet.. just to make sure I didn't miss the bus. Usually it's just running late for whatever reason. There was only ever that 1 time my kids didn't get off the bus like they were supposed to, and they were kindergartners at the time.. and the sub bus driver took a slightly different route and stopped across the street instead of in front of my house, so the kids didn't know they were supposed to get off there. That spot across the street was the official stop, but their usual bus driver would turn the corner and drop them on the side of our house (we lived on a corner) so that they didn't need to cross the road. This sub driver just went straight instead of turning there.
@dragon54u (31617)
That reminds me of the time when my son did not get off the bus. I looked and looked for about 30 seconds then called the school who radioed the bus driver who confirmed he had not been on the bus. I was frantic! I told the dispatcher I was calling the police (this was 5 minutes after he didn't get off the bus) when she said wait and called the other bus drivers. One said he was there on his bus--turns out he thought he told me he was going to a friend's house after school but did not. We changed our routine after that so it would not happen again. I cannot describe the terror that I felt when I thought my son was missing, it is the most horrible feeling in the world. I cannot fathom how someone can wait even a couple of minutes after knowing a child is missing. Relatives aren't as close as parents, though, and are more objective.
That had to be a frightening moment. I wouldn't say the relatives are any better than the parents
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
I would have been AT the bus stop depending on how far it was from my vantage point out the window. If I could see them walking down the street fairly well I may stay by the window but if I saw kids walking down the road, and not the kids I'm watching for five minutes later, I'd be calling out their names walking up and down the street and knocking at all the neighbor's doors. I am not sure why the person waited forty five minutes but I hope the kids are found safe!
I can see the bus stop and a portion of the highway the bus travels before it turns to come to the bus stop. If dinner isn't made before then (as they are starved when they get home) I have my nose pressed to the window, otherwise I'm outside atleast in our yard watching for them.
That doesn't sound very good.
Sure doesn't. The kid was in the office atleast but still why 45min to realize?!?!
@bjc66bjc (6745)
I think this is very bad parenting,, with all the different stuff going on in the world and the wierd people out there, this is just crazy.. I am with you I would have been on the hunt for my child.. Does she realize what could have happened in 45 minutes.. Thats just scary.....
I wonder why it took so long for her to figure out the child wasn't late and that the child missed the bus? Yes alot can happen in a matter of minutes. I have another discussion about what one of this childs parents did the other week I'm considering posting about.
I see this kind of stuff all the time on the news. where kids are not on the bus or left on the bus. She was focused on something else and forgot about the kids. she very well could have been some place else and just arrived home to find them not there. either way I hope she found them..
The child missed or didn't know she was to go on the bus. But the relative waited til 45 min after the child should of arrived home to start to wonder is what urks me.
@JenInTN (27565)
No..that seems like a bit of a delayed reaction for sure. It would take me about two minutes to be over asking about that..lol.
@winterose (39918)
no I wouldn't but when my son was small I was working and my aunt got him after school. My aunt went to the bus stop but he wasn't there, but before she could react a man came up the street with my son. He said the bus driver left him off at his son's stop and since the address was on my son's lunchbox he walked him over. It was so nice of that man, the next day the principal got an earful from me.
I don't know how old the child is, but that would be something that would be a determining factor for me in deciding how long I was going to wait after the bus was supposed to get there before I started freaking out about them being late getting home. My children are five and nine years old and I will give them about ten minutes after the bus is supposed to be at there stop before I will start walking toward the bus stop looking for the children, or waiting for the bus to finally arrive.
@cutepenguin (6457)
That poor child! 6 is too young to not be met at the stop, or at least have someone waiting outside for you if the stop is within sight of the house.
@jillhill (37384)
No...in that amount of time anything could happen to them and if someone took off with them the trail would already be cold....I would be waiting for them to come home!