How do we learn how to focus on others as well?

In this world we live in, it's often about me, me and me. I was thinking that this world would be a better place when we learn to think about others, their feelings and opinions and including their wants and needs. So in your opinion, when we got so used to thinking of ourselves only, how do we start thinking of others from now on? How do we learn more how to be others centered instead of being self centered? I just felt having others included in our lives would make us more loving people and more worthwhile to our society and while becoming happier individuals.
@Micmac (9008)
Take up a good cause where people like those who are suffering illness, handicapped, people who got injured in wars, earthquakes, disasters and offer them a helping hand or cheer them up. That is one way to be less self-centered when you reach out to others and spend time thinking about them. The more we give or help others the better we feel within.
That is a very good advice, Micmac. I hardly ever did any service to the less fortunate but only with giving some money or clothes to those who are begging for them in our area ( well, at least that is a start ). It only shows we could do more in helping others within our capacity and it would only make us more sensitive people, more loving and sensitive to the concerns of others. I think we needed to look for our model in the saintly nun Mother Theresa. All of this world have a lot to learn from her :)
yes, that true most people i know are self center and not other center. most are selfish and i know a lot of people even those closer to me. get shock to know they are not willing to give sacrifices for other benefit. they first think about their self on how they could earn money fast, on how they could brag and then bypass other in order to win. no matter the channels even f they do wrong just to to get ahead of others= they do not care about what other people care. so this world we live in a rat race and only the strongest, the most influential one survives and the weakest as they view t as the loser. there are lot of competition and people sometimes forget their important priority like family and loved ones. just like me, i had a have personalty where do not mind to sacrifice a little just like when i always like to do this things, and my sister like it too, i always give way. so sometimes i get lonely not able to own or do things, but i still give to make others get first what they want. surely, happiness could nt be bought it is with a pure heart and a innocent mind that joy is felt.
I admire you for being different with the environment and society you live with which shows more of selfishness and lack of concern for others. I would guess that because people grew up in different environments, some would easily learn how to be unselfish while others needed to have more wisdom and special experiences or even relationships which let them learn how to think more of others...to be unselfish. The good thing is that even if we sometimes see our environment as selfish, it is not a reason to give up and be selfish ourselves but I believe all of us will be good if we give ourselves the challenge to go against the tide and follow what we think is right and not what the majority of people are doing.
@cattibre (160)
I believe that thinking of others before yourself is partially something you are born with and something you are taught from a very young age. I also believe that it is something you can learn to do later on in life, but it will take time to do it. It is a decision that an individual will have to make on their own and be willing to put the time and effort into. Most self centered people have never felt the joy of working in a homeless shelter during a holiday or seen the joy on an elderly persons face who has no family when you stop in to sit with them. I have done both of those and it would melt most anyones heart.
I believe your experience has made you more loving to others and happier as well. I heard it taught many times that when you feel lonely, the best way to get rid of loneliness is to find someone who is lonely and make them feel less lonely with your company. This also holds true with being happy in life. Oftentimes, when you can do things that would make someone else happy and you see their smiles, it really can touch your heart and feel grateful that you are able to give happiness to others.
I think of others all the time so it will not be something i need to work on. I think some people are just born to be greedy and only think of themselves. I am the other way,as I will give the last of what I have to others. I am working on not doing this any more. so,I have stopped calling those people who only call me when they need something.
Hi giftsandbagscom, yes I think it would not be good too if people try to take one for granted. I would say your parents should have shown you a lot of unselfish love and that is usually the most common reason why you learn to be unselfish and always thinking of others. Hi stowyk, I would say I do see a lot of parents who are still thinking only of themselves in spite of the fact that they already have a family who could be giving them more inspirations in life, more love which he could share with them. I still don't have a family of my own but I have seen it time and again from people I know how having their own family when they get married and have children have changed their lives tremendously that their main focus is not anymore their past friends or direct family, but their main focus is in the new family now which has become a great inspiration for them. I am now looking forward to the time when I would have a wife and our children and I could sense this would also make a great change in me...time would only tell.