"Oh, I'll Have A Free Car Please..Thanks For That!"

@Janey1966 (24127)
Carlisle, England
I spoke to Mum earlier on the telephone and she was going on about being back at work and such-like. During our conversation she told me about her boss, Marie. Now, Marie has a new car and Mum thought, "Mmm, I wonder where she got the money from for that..she's always going on about how skint she is." Well, she found out today. Apparently, this AUDI (probably an A1) is a FREE car. Marie gets one "every two years." She was on the top rate of disability allowance (or whatever it's called now) but it got reduced. She had the choice of (either) going for the lesser rate OR having a car for nothing with free tax and insurance on it. It was a no-brainer. "I'll have the free car please!" I can imagine her saying. Why does she have a free car? She has one lung which hasn't stopped her working as Mum says she's "up and down ladders like a monkey all day." I don't mind people being on benefits and genuinely needing a car to get around for hospital appointments and the like but this woman is WORKING and is still entitled to a free car. I don't understand it! My parents knew a guy who was entitled to a free car and his wife used to drive him to the pub then go to work in it! My Dad can't have a car because he's skint and it's so unfair that he has to struggle to get around on his poorly legs whilst these leeches milk off the state. What do you think about this freebie society? Do you think that someone who is able to work should get a free car? I don't!
There very well could be something going on with this woman that only she knows. I find it odd how people like to mind other peoples business and then get mad because they can't get what the others have. there is a system to all of what goes on and I think it is a great that she is working period. if she could get a car I would be happy for her not hating and being mad. it is not a pretty look at all. I see it so much and it gets sickening after while. I wish someone would dare look me in my face and say stuff like this to me. I would slap fire out of them because they should live and let live.
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
But if she can work why can't she at least pay the insurance and tax on it? I think it's a bit much just paying for petrol and that's it. Plus the fact she says she's skint. She can't be skint if she has a free car. She's skint if she's not allowed to have one.
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
Oh well, at least you have learned a new word today. What's the word for skint over there then? I'd love to know. What does a hair license entail, I'm a bit confused with that one?
I also had to look at the word. Although my country is not as rich as to be able to give free carrs to anyone, I`m sure that in many things that the government gives (with us, the taxpayers paying for it)there is injustice. Some people know how to get the most out of the system, other people don`t.
@inertia4 (26905)
Well, here if you're on disability your lucky to even get that. Forget getting a car. And medical insurance still costs a fortune. She is one lucky woman. I wish they did that here. But that will never happen.
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
I don't think she lives far away from work so she doesn't actually need a car for that.
@inertia4 (26905)
Well then she should not take the car. But we get nothing but aggravation here.
@deazil (4605)
There are a lot of people in this country that get things they don't deserve. I knew a woman where I worked that kept complaining about stress all the time. There was no stress on her job, as a matter of fact she did as little as possible. She was always asking around about doctors who wrote letters for people suffering from stress. She finally found one. Now she gets disability and is out partying and drinking up her check and having a good time in general. And am I right in assuming skint means having no money? To answer your question, over here it's just plain broke or penniless. Glad to translate!
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
Yes, 'skint' does mean not having any money..or having very little. It's not fair how some people can beat the system like that. When I worked somewhere that caused me a lot of stress and I had to go off sick my money got halved after a month because I was temporary!
@deazil (4605)
It always seems to go like that. The people who don't deserve it get it and the people who do don't.
@jazzyrae (1747)
Amen I don't know where you live, but here in the USA everybody seems like they are on assistance the only people who deserve it out the elderly and mental y Ill inn my opinion. Its ridiculous how everybody thinks that the government offers them something. :|
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
I live in the UK, England to be precise. In the case of Marie, if she was incapable of working I suppose I could understand the car thing but she's probably got a posher car than some of the teachers where she works (she's in the kitchen)!
@jazzyrae (1747)
I just think that there are way tho many freeloaders in this world today it is frustrating.
It is unconceivable that She gets free car just because she has one lung .however she is a boss and even stronger than ordinary people.What's wrong with your welfare services for the disabled.Why doesn't the free car go to those that need it most?
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
That's a very good question and one I wish I had an answer for my friend.
@p1kef1sh (45647)
I really don't believe this! Unless the woman is so imobilised that she has to be in a wheelchair, for which you can apply for transport under the Motability Scheme, this seems a gross misuse of public money. If she can get to work why is she receiving maximum benefits? Is it any wonder that the Government are reviewing the system - unfortunately that seems to be hitting the genuine more than anybody else!
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
She used to be on the top rate but it got reduced (presumably 'cos she felt better and was able to work) but she could have a car INSTEAD of the reduced rate. Hope all that makes sense... ..but there again..the system is mightily flawed if she is able to have what amounts to a free car whilst she works. My Dad has to go on two buses in order to get to a stupid chiropody appointment each month. It doesn't cost him anything because he's a pensioner but even so. He has to go into Town on one bus as none of them that go through Layton turn off onto Devonshire Road/Whitegate Drive where the Medical Centre is; then double back on himself. It's the one grey area of public transport in the Town that seriously needs looking at. Oh, and if he decides to go in a taxi it's about 6 quid each way!
@dainy1313 (2354)
• Leon, Mexico
Hello Janey, I think this is not fair, because this lady is a lier. I thinkg that someone really may need that car. In my country we had lot of problems, and nobody has free cars for discapacity. Indeed my bestfriend who uses a wheelchair moved to the united states, and she got a reduction quote in a car. But she had to buy it. In my country she couldn´t visit a doctor, nor nobody of the government cared for elementary health services for her. So I think that it is not fair that someone in the world is taking advantage of her lies. Maybe one day someone could make her think about her lies. But if she doesn´t have a good soul she wont care. That is indeed very sad. Blessings janey... dainy
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
You misunderstand me. Marie is actually entitled to the car. It's the system that's wrong, not Marie..she's just taking advantage of the situation.