Hey Willy, I still love you!

@Loverbear (4928)
Last night Bill and I were sitting on the couch like we usually do, watching television. It is so nice to be side by side at the end of a busy day, holding hands and enjoying the quiet and watching the tv, tuning out the rest of the world. Very little interrupts our peace and quiet during this time...except.... The peace was shattered by the loud meowing by one of my fur babies. It sounded terrible and I was sure that one of my cats had gotten injured seriously. I jumped up and headed towards the horrible sound. I was rather sure that it was Willy, after all with his weight and his clumsiness he could have seriously injured himself. I visualized broken bones, bleeding, and Willy lying on the floor helpless to do anything. I got to the doorway to the kitchen, which is immediately between the kitchen and the family room when Willy came through. He was still meowing in such a horrific way. Thank goodness, he could still walk!!!! What could be the problem? I climbed over the barrier between the kitchen and the family room...we have the barrier there so that C.D. doesn't tear up the rest of the house and torment the cats. I had gotten my right leg over the barrier, I could feel my heart thundering in my chest, Willy had become a favorite in my heart (of course the whole crew of critters are my favorites). My breath started coming in short spurts from the excitement... Willy was still meowing that horrible meow! I couldn't see any blood so he didn't cut himself anywhere. I had gotten my left leg over the barrier and Willy was standing in front of me. He looked up at me with the "do you love me?" look he gets at times, it was a look that breaks a person's heart! Willy feels like he isn't loved as much as the rest of the critters, he isn't as able to do his "job" as a cat. He doesn't have the agility and ability to catch mice like his brother Khuay... he doesn't bark so he can't protect the house. He feels useless. I started to kneel down beside the poor guy, to reassure him that he has my unconditional love and that he isn't expected to do anything but be my friend and companion. As I reached down to scratch his chest suddenly something dropped down into my hand. Sitting in my outstretched hand was...a warm, moist, white, cat nip mouse. My poor baby had that look in his eyes that told the whole story. He felt that he wasn't doing his job and that if he didn't start catching mice I wouldn't love him any longer and get rid of him. He looked like he was going to cry! I bent over, stroked him continuously and told him that I loved him dearly no matter what. I told him that he had a forever home and that wouldn't change either...I then picked up all 22 pounds of fur and love and held him close, murmuring to him that he was a great mouse catcher and that I was so proud of him. (Khuay sat in the background looking at me like I had flipped my lid...he was sure that I was totally crazy, praising his brother for catching the elusive cat nip mouse!) Willy is still trying to catch a real mouse and prove to everyone that he can catch mice...and it might also be that he is trying to get his brother to quit taunting him. In the mean time, I am working hard to get it through to the poor guy that it is okay that his mousing skills are lacking, not everyone is cut out to be a mouser! Have you ever had to convince your critters that they are okay the way they are?
@carmelanirel (20979)
Aww, poor Willy, I hope he know how much he is loved.. When it comes to my girls, I really don't know. Penny is the aggressor, while Ciara is laid back. Both feel loved, because if there is only one of us here to give them attention, we do try to make sure both get enough and if another is here, then that is when they the "individualized" attention and they love that..
@Loverbear (4928)
Poor Willy can't accept the fact that he is so dearly loved for the fact that he will immediately determine that I am not feeling well and he will stay by my side night and day until I am feeling better. While I was stuck in bed after the knee replacement surgery he would only leave my side to use the litter box and get a quick bite to eat. He was so careful of my knee, making sure that he didn't do anything that might make it hurt worse. He also would bring his toys in for me to play with to also make me feel better. With a friend like that, who could ask them to do something that they can't manage? Also, it is so hard to get through to him that his catching mice doesn't matter to me and it isn't expected of him. I always make sure that I give all the animals as much attention as I can, and that no one is slighted by not getting as much attention as the others. Willy was the one that the granddaughters didn't like as much as Khuay...because Khuay was so much cuter than Willy. Willy wasn't an ugly kitten, but he had bags under his eyes that could have been used as trunks! I immediately took to him because he wasn't a "beautiful" kitten. I have to chew Bill out at times because he will make a disparaging remark about Willy and his size. I remind Bill that Willy does have issues about his appearance and being accepted as he is... after all not everyone can be beautiful.
Oh, I am sure Willy is adorable...shame on Bill....
@ElicBxn (60827)
No, it seems we are having to convince Rygel that we won't leave Timmy - or whatever cat it is - trapped in the well/closet/pantry/whatever. Then there are the days he just cries, and you KNOW how loud a Siamese can be when they want to, and we can't figure out why! Yes, Rygel is the white eared cat in my avatar, but other than his markings, he's a Siamese!
@Loverbear (4928)
Even part Siamese have a MEOW that can shatter windows! I haven't heard the kind of yowl that Willy gave last night. Now I know what to expect if he ever does manage to catch a mouse. I'm sure that as a proud parent I will have tons of pictures of him and his first real mouse! Of course after he catches a real mouse he will be looking for bigger game...like a pit/lab mix! I think the days that they just cry is their way of "singing" because they are happy and are sharing it with the world. At least that is what I like to think when my crew wanders around crying. I don't have the problem convincing my bunch that someone isn't going to get locked in a closet...it's convincing them that when I close the bathroom door I don't want to be joined by a bunch of curious Siamese cats. I never can close the door without paws waving under the door and noses and blue eyes peering under the bottom of the door. When I come out of the bathroom they all sit up like it wasn't them doing all the antics while I was in the bathroom. Siamese don't always have exact markings like the typical Siamese. It's like Khuay's tail. It's solid color up to the last three inches of the tail and then it is orange and white striped like a snake. Murphy's tail is striped black and white on one side and then on the bottom side it is the opposite. It is really strange looking because it is just like there was a line drawn and at that line the stripes change. You never know what a Siamese is going to end up like since they are pure white when they are kittens. It's kind of like pot luck for markings.
@ElicBxn (60827)
Well, Rygel and his sibs had a mother with the same markings (white with tabby) but Rygel was the whitest of the lot. Sophie was a pretty little, long haired mite, with strong opinions and a self assured attitude, but I didn't see much if any Siamese in her. I don't know who the father was, but the 4 kittens were short haired, marked like mom and pretty much all acted a bit like a Siamese. Well, can't say much for the sister, she went almost before we could name her - we did call her Andromeda...
@deazil (4556)
My mother took in a stray cat years ago and when she went in a nursing home I took him to live with us. But every time he went in the litterbox he would let out a cry. A loud meow. I thought oh, no. He's got a major problem if he cries like that when he goes to the bathroom. Then, after watching him, I realized there's nothing wrong. He's merely announcing to the world that he's in there doing his business so please don't come in here right now. He goes to the box, gets in, looks around and let's out a loud meow, then goes to the bathroom with no problem. He doesn't always do it anymore. Just if we happen to be where he can see us or if he hears us coming up the stairs. Funny guy.
@Loverbear (4928)
That is so cute! Not everyone wants to be observed going to the toilet, and we don't think of the fact that cats and dogs may feel the same way! I can imagine your thoughts when he would meow out loud when he got in the litter box..."OH NO!! A HUGE VET BILL!!" and also the fact that you don't want the poor guy to suffer. Then the sense of relief when you found out that he was just telling everyone that he was using the box...after all he didn't have a bathroom door he could close! I'm sure he's saying "A little privacy please!" I never regret adding a member to my family of critters. Willy and his brother Khuay have been incredible additions! I am thankful every day that I was lucky enough to have the privilege to adopt them.
awww .. so sweet,,, I can Imagine how willy look at you. Looks like he has a feeling to prove that he can do useful things for you. He just so sweet. I wonder if he could talk, he would say something that makes you shed tears