What transport will you choose, airplane or train during traveling?

China
I have take plane for a few times, actually, My ears is not very comforable while flying. So I prefer to take train if possible, cause I can enjoy the beautiful scenery through the train window, and the ticket is not expensive. What about you?
@leeloo (1494)
• Portugal
That depends on where I have to go and why. If it reasonably close the train is good to travel in as it is always good to see the scenery go past the window, but it takes time, a lot of time in certain cases. The other day I was looking up the difference between going by train or plane to visit a friend and which would be better. Though by train it would be 1/3 cheaper, it would take 9 hours, whereas if I went by plane it would take just over 4, including the 2 hours it takes to get to the closest airport to where I live. In that situation the plane is much better option, just due to the convenience. Granted that the train had bunk beds but still, it was 9 hours, and a few more to get to where she lived whereas the airport was closer to where she lived.
Yeah, airplane indeed has it's advantages, it save time. My hometown is 45 hours train to where I live now, so when I go back to home, I will take a 3 hours plane (and 2 hour to get to/out airport), then 15 hours train(cause there is no plane there). It's really a long way, so I totally understand the long, tired train hours. But during my travel, if I have time, I always take a train, cause there's different scenery.
@leeloo (1494)
• Portugal
Wow and I was complaining about a 9 hour train trip, that is probably a breeze for you.
Yeah, and once I went for travel, in order to save half money, I buy a train seat (it's more than 20 hours), I get on train from 8:00 am first day, and get off train at 5:00 am the second day, I have sit the whole process, eat bread and milk for the breakfast, lunch and supper. Then, when I get off train, my stomache is very uncomfortable, fart a lot, the most embressing thing is that my friend and her boyfriend come to pick me up,,,,,,,,,I swear then, I will never take a seat for that long way.
When I was in the US on holiday I have gone from one state to another by plane but while I was in California I chose to take the Amtrak train from San Jose to Oxnard just to feel the train experience. This train runs along the coastline which is a straight line. To see the ocean for so many hours was an experience that will last me a life time.
Wow, a train runs along the coastline, it must be very beautiful! Actually, I never see the real sea, good for you.
I hope you too will one day get to experience this. I have beaches close by but never experienced a coastline as long as this one.
@ching128 (27)
For long journey, i prefer to travel by air. Some say that it's expensive.what wedois we wait for special promos where fares are discounted. It's faster and more convenient. The railways here in our country is not so safe and are so old that it would make me nervous travelling by train. Actually i haven't been in a train for a long journey. I only ride the ones that circle the city.
Wow, ride circle city? Impressive. I think for me, ride is the most dangerous transport, cause I'm a terrible terrible rider.
It's better to travel by train. In addition to watching the beautiful scenery, there is ninety nine percent of remaining alive in case there is an accident, while in case of planes, you get only one percent chance!
Yeah, you are right, I also believe train is a safer transport tool.
I will go with plane. As I have made many journeys in trains but only twice I have been on a plane. And especially when I need to cover 1500+ miles it takes 1-2 days here to cover that sort of distance on a train but with a plane I can make it to be there in just 3-4 hours. Ears, I think everybody has problem with ears on flights and it is normal as there is good in something there must be some inconvenience. Well one can use earplugs, etc to be good when flying. You can also watch beautiful clouds and take a glance at the earth/ ground from air.
Plane is a good choice for long way journey. I have 45 hours way to my hometown by train, so when I get back to home, I will always choose a plane. But if short way travel, I will take a train.
@mermaidivy (15417)
I think flying on the plante is the most efficient way to get to the place and it is also relatively comfortable. I think it will take forever to travel on the train and it might also be very noisy.
If have enough money, and long way to travel, maybe plane is a good choice. But for many traveller, they must save money for a long time, I think in that way, train is a good choice and can see different scenery.
I am tired of traveling using train, and now I will choose airplane because I haven't experience it. :) It is kinda exciting I think :P
My first time to take plane is also exciting, but after several times, I always feel ear pain and when get up and get down, I feel a little uncomforable, it will be not that excited then. Anyway, good day to you.
I prefer train also rather than airplane... Because it has sleeping quarters you can rest their and also it has your own bathroom. Travelling by train can be relaxing you can sit by a window while having a meal or snack and enjoy the view from the countryside.
Wow, a pernonal bathroom? I haven't take a train like that, it must be very comforable, and expensive?
@maximax8 (27048)
I flew on planes and had severe ear pain from 1987 to 1997. From then onwards I haven't had any ear pain when flying because in 1997 a friend gave me a pair of ear planes. These I screw into my ears to stop all ear pain on flights. It works and only cost around five pounds a pair. I fly on planes if it is a long haul trip. It is just a way to reach my destination that is far away. I find it uncomfortable and boring. I much prefer to travel by train as it is more comfortable and certainly more interesting plus enjoyable. In the day I can enjoy looking out of the window. In the night time I can sleep in a comfortable bunk in a compartment. I have a friends and family railcard and it gives me great discounts in my home country. I book in advance to get cheap fares.
Thank you for your information, maybe I will also get one before taking plane next time, hope it also works for me. Luck for you for cheap fares! I momerize when I graduate, I take more than 20 hours train travel to another city just on seat all day and night, cause I can't afford a bunk ticket at that time.
@nupur123 (392)
• Hyderabad, India
I luv travelling with train as we can enjoy every bit of our tour. I know it take a long time but if ur r not in hurry it is the best transport. But now days as so many accidents r taking place i really prefertotravel by plane . As i know nothing is safe nowdays but we need to take care of every thing
I always worried when I take a plane. About train, only take fast speed train will worried a little. the normal speed train I think it's safe.
@aimuel9 (18)
I prefer airplane...I'm up the sky and the feeling is so nice
Good for you, the only time I feel excited is my first time to fly.
@gloryacam (5546)
I prefer flying, especially if I were in a hurry. Although I have not yet travelled long through a train. Maybe I should try some day. Cheaper, too, perhaps. I like flying except that I still feel tense every take off time. I don't know why I just can't get over it.
Flying save time but cost money, if you have enough time, maybe you can have a try. By the way, sometimes I feel like ride a roller coaster when the plane take off.
@andreas91 (140)
For me, it depends on the situation. If I require a fast direct trip, obviously I'll choose plane over trains. But I agree that airplane trips are mostly boring, as you could only see the clouds outside and it gets boring after a couple of minutes. Trains are preferable for relaxing trips, such as on holidays. Anyway, have you tried sitting in the front part of the plane to help reducing your ear discomfort? It works for me :)
Really? I never sit in the front part of the plane, this kind of seat usually cost more? Someone told me to chew a gum, I always forget to bring one.
@rog0322 (2834)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Hi, I prefer traveling by land, watching the scenery as it passes by, learning from them. However, if the destination requires traveling crossing the sea, then train travel is definitely out. The plane is the ideal choice unless you can stand the slow mode of cruise ships. Makes for more adventures too, traveling by ship at sea, too slow though if time is of the essence.
Yeah, it indeed save time by air sometimes. Actually, I never travel by ship, cause I'm a scared on water.
If i can afford I would always prefer airplanes for long journeys. But for short journeys I always prefer trains. In trains, you visit through various places, meet various places. the train journey always gives new experiences. But in plane, you get bored. You just want to get to the place and leave off.
Yeah, If I go back hometown, I will save money for plane, cause long journeys make me tired. Have you ever travel by sea? I never cause I was a little scared when I'm in a boat.
@aghiuta (526)
It depends on the distance,and the location of the destination.For under 800 km,I would take the car,farther the plane.Also if it is only for a few days,I would not like to spend those precious days on the road!When we traveled in Europe,We flew from Canada to Europe,then we traveled by train.We had a blast!!!Also in Europe,they have very good public transportation,it is not wort renting a car!