Please tell me if you think I should not shop today.

my boss has a refrigerator and a microwave,toaster,coffee maker and so much more at the shop. she goes to costco and buys the big boxes of cookies,cases of juice,coffee,tea,and everything. but,remember she has all that money. well the other day I brought my lunch to the shop. it was sushi and it was in the fridge and I heard when toni offered something to another worker and he said there is even sushi in the fridge. I did not say anything but,had she gone for it i would have told her was mine. now the other day,I brought in a box of cup a soups incase I wanted to have one. but,today,I want to go to the store nad buy me some cold cuts and take them to the job. this way I can save my cash and make me lunch. I don't mind if someone wants a sandwich but,I can't afford to feed all her customers too. that is what she does with her stuff. so,do you think it is rude to bring my own food if I can't afford to bring a lot for all the people who minght want to have some. the other workers eat up all her bagels,and everything. I only had two cups of coffee and one bag of cookies. all of which she offered while I was working on a customer and had o had anything to eat. thanks for letting me know. I will go to the store if you say it is not selfish of me.
@911Ricki (13602)
I agree with you, you shouldnt have to feed the neighbourhood. Not all of us can afford it, nor do we want too. I know my old job, they use to eat everything up, but wouldnt bring their share. I would try and eat when noone is around or nibble.
I sit right in front of everyone they would see me make my lunch too.
@911Ricki (13602)
I don't find it rude at all, but then I usually bring my own lunch. If it's something big and I'm working with a couple other people I may offer for example cookies. But if its a sandwhich then no Ill pretend like noone is around. At my old job the other girl and I would both bring a few items and share. But we talked about it before, otherwise I brought my food she brought her food.
I bought my meat tonight but,I forgot to find something else to bring. all I could find were swets and that would just make me gain weight so I bought me some tea.
I think it's fine if you pack your lunch, just put your name on it, and NO, it's not rude for you if you can't afford to feed everyone. That's what I would do since everyone thinks it's a free for all, that's not right either. Maybe every so often you can bring in a bag of cookies or something, or donuts. You can't feed the whole crew and I know you would if you could, but you can't. Just bring something in every once in a while and leave it at that.
I was thinking of filling up her candy dish because we all ate most of what is in the dish already. I could buy a bag of candy tonight. thanks for the thought.
@Blondie2222 (18187)
No i don't think it's rude to bring you're own food. At my work I bring my breakfast and lunch and stock drinks in the fridge so that way I don't have to buy from the cafeteria every day because it gets expensive. I just label my stuff put my name on it and nobody touches it. You should just start labeling you're stuff so that way people know it's yours and know not to touch it. If they do then I would speak up and say something because that is rude.
That sounds like a good idea.. I could get a marker and mark my meat and cheese. thanks so much.
@lelin1123 (15645)
• Puerto Rico
When I use to work I worked in an office and would always bring my lunch. I didn't go to work to feed others around the office. You should not feel selfish at all. Its your money and you have to eat lunch. In order to save money its the best thing to do to bring your own lunch. I would also make sure you put your name on your lunch in the fridge so people will know not to touch it. You didn't get a job to be feeding co-workers or customers. Your boss does it because its her shop and she can afford to do it. Get to the store and never mind everyone else.
• Marion, Kansas
Maybe you can leave your stuff inside a bag, so it is not visible to everyone and put your name on it really big. Off the subject, but that shop would be a good place to find customers if you wanted to sell your bags. I know the really ritzy shops here sell bags and stuff as well as their servies..
@besweet (7340)
• Greece
I understand why the boss brings all those stuff, she wants to have food for the customers and for the people that work there, including you. I would do the same if I was the boss, I'd like everyone to be focused in the job so I would provide some food and drinks for them to have when they need them. But as a worker you don't have to bring food for all your coworkers. You can put your food seperately and mark it, or buy a colourful bowl and bring it everyday at work with your food so that everyone knows that it belongs to you and whatever is inside is yours. If you write your name on a box it is possible that someone might not see it, but if you bring your food every day in a bright red tupper for example, everyone will know that this tupper is yours and they won't open it. I used to do that when I had a shared kitchen with 4 more girls as a student. Everything was getting mixed up in the fridge and we were losing stuff, so I decided to buy some colourful tuppers and store my food in there (cheese, cold cuts, salad or prepared meals). After a while the girls knew what was mine. We were still confused with the vegetables but I didn't mind so much!
It's not rude at all!! Think "school" . . . put your stuff in a lunch tote with your name clearly on it so everyone knows it's yours! You are definitely NOT obligated to contribute to the community fridge (I'll bet you everyone else is just eating from it). I would bring on the food you are going to eat that day - not a box or case . . . because if you bring a box or case, people might think you brought that for everyone (unless you have your own private locker). That's what I would do because I know some people just don't respect other people's stuff . . if you bring a lot in, they might assume your boss brought it in and they might just take it. Good for you for bringing in your own lunch! Although it's nice of your boss to provide food for everyone, try to pick out the healthier choices. My hubby's work provides them with loads of food too - but oh, he's packing on the weight a bit - ha ha!!!
• Marion, Kansas
I do not think it is selfish, but ask your boss if it is okay to use her refrigerator for personal stuff. It is smart to be sure to have enough food on hand so that you do not get weak and light headed but if her policy is that everything is shared, that could be a problem.
@trisha27 (3505)
I don't think that it is selfish that you bring your own lunch and just enough for you. Go ahead and bring your lunch, you can't afford to feed everyone that comes into the shop either, and you shouldn't have to.
@Jshean20 (14374)
I don't think it's your job to provide food to these people, you're just too kind hearted that you feel guilty when you shouldn't. I think if food is being provided it should be the owners responsibility to provide that.
@sid556 (31018)
I don't think it is selfish at all of you to do that. I do think it is wrong for your boss to offer YOUR food to others. What I would do is buy the food and keep it at home and each day, bring in enough to make my own food and snacks. I actually do that where I work. I work 10 hour shifts and I often will pack a sandwhich and maybe some fruit etc. If I buy a bag of chips or something then of course, I share it. Occasionally I order a pizza from next door and I always share that. What I bring in from home is in a bag with my name on it. The other workers do the same. Certain foods are labeled with their name and we all know not to touch them.
If you are working, I don't think that there is anything at all wrong with taking your own food to fix when you have your lunch break. In fact, I really feel like taking lunch with you is a great idea because it is something that will save you a lot of money in the long run. When I worked outside the house I took my own lunch with me every day because it was quicker and cheaper than going out to eat every day.
@winterose (39931)
You need to talk that over with her, and do it very nicely.
I think what you should do is make sure not to eat any of their stuff if you dont want to share yours. Even if she can afford it if you dont want to share your stuff because you cant afford to then you shouldnt really take any of their food only because they will expect you to share. I think if you put all your stuff for your lunch in a brown paper bag and tape it closed and write your name on the bag then they will understand it is yours and yours alone and you arent sharing. If you just put your food in there unlabeled they might think they can help themselves and you dont want that.