Are woman second class citizen?

@rubyroy (824)
Do they have equal rights as their male counter part?Are they weak and helpless as the world portrays.Do they need special laws to protect them?Why do women feel discriminated and harassed in their life?Women feel helpless in many situation,they are politically oppressed, fettered by religious belief and systems.There freedom is controlled to a large extent by the male species.In Asian countries they are brutally mistreated and subjected to shame and agony by their spouse and family.They are treated like slaves with no voice.Women have no voice and they are malnourished and treated as second class citizens right from their childhood.The society and government should ensure that the girl child is well looked after,for she is the important factor for sustaining the generations in our universe.Let us keep this in mind and give due respect to women in all their stages of life.This will definitely give more importance to women and their general well being.
@yahnee (1250)
In my country, women are treated equally as men. Women hold high positions in the government, private corporations and businesses. Women in my country tend to find jobs more easily than men since companies have realized that what men can do, some women can even do better. In fact, my country has elected two women presidents. Actually, our culture is matriarchal which puts the mother or the woman in a high pedestal that should always be honored and respected. The mother keeps the purse strings in the family and more often than not handles decision making. While there are also cases of harassment and domestic violence the percentage is quite low if compared to other countries.
wow. That sounds like a very nice country you live in. I wish I could live there and enjoy respect from the men. You are truly blessed, and I hope your country will be looked at more closely by the world so the rest of the world may have less domestic violence and more respect for women.
@GemmaR (8526)
Women are not second class, and it is wrong that they have had to fight so hard just to be able to have the same rights that men have taken for granted for such a long amount of time. However, I do think that you have to accept the fact that men and women are different biologically, and this means that there are certain things that women are just not able to do. In addition to this, women usually have to take at least a couple of years during the course of their lifetime to be able to have their children, and this means that they are not always able to take the same steps forward in their careers as they would have been able to if they had been male.
@romzee (938)
I think woman in our country(Philippines) are more luckier than their other Asian counterparts. Woman here are given more importance and highly regarded by man. We already have two past woman president, only to shows they have equal opportunity even to the highest job of the land. Cheers!
@dandan07 (1908)
As a female, I was treated as a second class citizen in my country. When I was a child, even my cousin (a boy) can get more things from my parents than that I can get. And I have studied harder to enter the college.Even if I can do much better than men, the company still does not like to offer a position to me, for I am a woman. I think as a citizen pay the same tax, I should have the same right as a man.
There was such a discussion yesterday about a similar subject. I think that in many places women are treated as second class citizens. But I also think that there have been changes everywhere. And it is in part up to us, women, that we donĀ“t let anyone treat us without respect. As there are new laws, we must make use of them. When I was in high school, if a girl got pregnant she had to leave school. It was a disgrace. But now things are chanded in my country. Schools cannot by law expell a girl for being pregnant. Many other things have changed as law goes too. Some years ago, children born out of wedlock didn`t have the same rights that their siblings; now both have the same rights. That also goes to inheritance rights. Things are changing, at least in my country.
@rubyroy (824)
In Asian countries they are treated as commodities.They are like worker ants.They have to comply with their father,brother or husband.Even though they have equal share and equal right in a family.to a large extent,these rights are only on paper.When she is an earning member also,she is supposed to do all house work,and then her office duty,whereas if the man is the earning member,then his all needs are attended by his wife and family members.The term equality in actual sense never exist with the majority of the Asian women,Let me tell the story of my friend,she was married to a person and even after having two children,he had no inclination to work or earn for his family.He happily lived on her wife's income and never contributed to anything.His sisters were forcing her to look after his parents,because he was sitting at home,but he never used to help except to look after the babies or cook some food for him to eat.Finally when he decided to start a business,he ended up by making big financial crisis for her and her family.Even now he lives beyond his financial means and expect her to limit her spending so that he could meet his luxuries.For the sake of their children she is tolerating him.The worst part is his sisters are forcing her to look after his father also on her income which she refused.She said she will look after his father,if he finds a job.Is her stand correct.
@ShyBear88 (17052)
I live in the US so women are treated the same as men. We have the same rights and freedom as any other man has. I'm a women myself and even though I wasn't born yet there was a time where women where saw as less then equal then men and women stood up and said we are the same and finally we where able to vote, or get paid as much as men but now there are laws the same as the laws of men where they have pay women the same as men and give us all the same rights.