Basil, we call it Tulsi, holy for us

this is basil green variety - basil is treated as holy plant by hindus, it has great medicinal values too
In home of each Hindu, you will find at least one Basil herb, in a pot , basil is holy for us, we consider it as ‘GODDESS TULSI’ , we light a wick lamp, incense sticks below it daily in the morning and evening and pray. It is supposed to bring us good luck and happiness. Well behind each tradition there is some scientific reason. It has medicinal values too. Take 5 to 7 leaves of it in your mouth, bite it well next swallow with water. If you have copper vessel than keep water in it at evening and drink in morning with the leaves; it works as anti-oxidant and toxic remover from your system. Tulsi is good for your memory enhancement. One spoonful of powdered seeds of Tulsi thickens sperm. Wearing a necklace around the neck with beads made from its stem keeps one free from many diseases. Such bead necklace with 108 bead are used during prayer. Tea made by boiling the leaves, with little honey added is good for cold, cough and fever. SOME MORE POINTS AS PER OUR RELIGION. [b]We don’t pluck its leaves in noon, evening; full-moon, new-moon days. We don’t touch the plant if we have not bathed. We put a leaf of tulsi along with water from the Ganga river in mouth of a dying person; we believe he/she gets released from sins; no more rebirths. [/b] [b]Hope you find this information useful. Anything from your side about this holy plant? PLEASE KEEP RESPONSES CLEAN.[/b] Kalyani September 27 2012. [i][/i]
@kiran8 (15401)
• Mangalore, India
Nice information Kalyaniji , I too have 3 varieties of Tulsi plants in my garden.The Kari tulsi which purplish green in color is supposed to be very good for health and is used here in many dishes .It has a strong but pleasant taste and a few leaves added to your tea is very healthy.When the plant is filled with leaves I pluck a handful and tie it in a cloth and hang it in my store room it wards off house flies..
Thanks Kiraji for the tips, yes it keeps insects away too, keep some with your clothes, particularly woolens in my home we don't use in dishes
@thesids (22358)
• Bhubaneswar, India
I know a couple of things about this Tulsi leaves... they are now used to prevent cancer... and maybe even be a cure for AIDS. Personally, I want to have one plant only for me - so that I can eat the leaves... I am quite sure these leaves will help me heal or at least prevent cancer happening to me. I would be searching for the Kari variety - as I know in our state (Odisha) it will not be known by this name.
@kiran8 (15401)
• Mangalore, India
Kari tulsi ( basil) - also called Krishna or Shyam tulsi
Hi thesids, I think it is called Krishna or Shyam Tulsi ..Tulsi has many medicinal qualities, is also good for ulcers that you get inside the mouth and on the tongue..
@tigeraunt (6331)
hello kal, as most of us already know, medicines processed into tablets, capsules and syrups mostly comes from herbs, hence their medicinal value. more so if it is used as fresh and directly to the food we eat. i enjoy it in pasta and bread when i cook and eat. have a nice day. ann
Dear Anny Thanks for sharing. If god permits, and we go to you, be sure we will carry this wonder plant for your family. Have a nice day. Kalyani
There seems to be various kinds of basil, which I know basil is usually mixed into food, atleast in my country many traditional foods always use basil as ingredients. And I cooked fish today for lunch I add basil leaves as usual my aunty told me. Sometimes I add basil into chilli to make it taste more fresh and yummy. I do not know that basil is sacred in the Hindu religion. And thanks for the recipe that you write above, it looks like I'll make it tomorrow morning because it looks like I will be get cough
Thanks for sharing. We don't use in cooking, will never add to non-veg food Have a nice day. Kalyani
@thesids (22358)
• Bhubaneswar, India
Namaskar madam We have a Tulsi plant at Paradip - where my wife works. When she was here, we had it here but she will not allow me to touch it for some reasons best known to her. I never objected as I take it as her choice. Reading the response from Ms Kiran above and this discussion, I am more positive to have one healthy plant here at my place in Bhubaneswar. And as I mentioned above, I would eat the leaves because these leaves help in reducing the chances of cancer and my Ulcerative Colitis is supposed to turn into cancer as per most of the doctors. This Diwali, I will buy a Copper Vessel for the anti-oxidants thing. Thanks for such a wonderful post which I think will help many. Regards
dear sids You can buy a copper jug this Diwali, You can buy the black leaf tulsi; or get from some ones home there, it may help you. You know while in Hyderabad, hubby had to serch and buy one from road side sellers for 50 rupees, i don't know if it is there now; but i am sure my son must have bought another
@riyauro (6428)
Great information. I liked it very much. i have got a basil plant at home but it is for cooking. i add it in pastas. I do have tulsi as what you call it. I do not use tulsi in food for flavor. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful day ahead.
Lol basil and tulsi are same, though they have different varieties, you can see the pictures in goggle search