It's totally out of range of my ability

Mathematics is not my cup of tea. I have never been good at numbers maybe I have discalcula. Back when I was still a student,during elementary years, I hardly ever got a grade higher than 79 in my report card.In college (sophomore), I failed a couple of times in my Algebra class.It was not until, I enrolled this subject (Algebra) in summer class, I took only this subject,focused only on this subject and poured all the effort I could to pass this class, that for the first time I got 87% in my grade slip. It was the last year that I dealt with numbers.I never had any math class after sophomore. I simply hate numbers. I was able to teach subjects such as Science, computer, arts,English but I told my superior that I will resign if they would ask me to teach Math. I don't even count loose change when I buy something,because subtraction is really hard for me lols. I tried to practice subraction and addition but I am not getting any better at it. I'd rather use my calculator hihihi. Is there something that you thing you think you can never be good at no matter how hard you try? Well, for me, Math is totally out of range of my ability.
I don't hate numbers. They are fascinating. I just don't understand them. I don't like math either. I was glad to find out how to use the calculator. I learned my multiplication tables and can help my grandson with his math but thank goodness for the internet. I am with you on this math thing.
Ironically,multiplication is much easier for me than addition and subtraction.
Me too! The others are harder. Subtraction is a real hard one for me!
@Raine38 (9050)
I am an Accountant and believe it or not, math is the least of my favorite subjects. It is also the subject where I get the lowest grade. I always struggle just to get an 85 in math. Otherwise, I will be kicked out in our college. Thank goodness for calculators and PCs, I can now be comfortable in juggling numbers. But back when I was still studying, the only way that I can deal numbers without totally losing it is when I look at it like a sentence and not as a number. I know it's weird, but hey, whatever can help you pass the subject!
hi belle, I can understand your feelings we are on the same boat I don't like Math either like they said Math stands for Mental Abuse To Human . happy mylotting
ahahahaha. You're right it's really a mental abuse to humans.
@Otanetix (509)
For me, math was actually one of my best subjects in primary and secondary school, but I can't say it was my favorite subject. My thinking was that math would probably a subject that would be the most useful to me in life; through that way of thinking, I helped motivate myself to learn math. I have taken math courses up to multivariable calculus, but I have forgotten so much. For any skill in life, practice helps us remember how to do the procedures. But I do know my friends who are much better at math than me. It did take me some time to learn concepts, especially in calculus. If you can think of a way math can be applied somewhere in your life, it becomes easier to motivate yourself to learn math. Even though some people might pick up math faster than others, it still has to be practiced to be kept fresh in people's minds. It's also a bit easier for students to learn math nowadays with all the online tutorials available. But I understand how you feel about using calculators; without a calculator, I would also feel lost while doing math. For me, history was probably my worst subject. I saw history as just old events that happened in the past. I did not really enjoy history because of my memories of memorizing a lot of dates, events, and people. Math and English were subjects that had structures I could understand more easily. For math, various formulas are used to solve equations. In English or any other spoken language, there's grammar to help structure different classifications of words such as nouns, adverbs, adjectives, etc.
Hello Otanetix :) I never had problem in history when I was in elementary and highschool.My private tutor,when I was a child, used to commend my vivid memory. Memorization was a piece of cake during those years. You're right constant practice and focus can help. But I have given up math :). I focused in English and arts instead.
@natliegleb (5188)
its your mind that deciphers it like that,try attending again and again and test your ability and bring your untapped potential to the test to get through with good grades
hihihi! I was just sharing my pet peeves. I am no longer in school natliegleb.
@ARIES1973 (9437)
• Legaspi, Philippines
Hi belle! I always believe that if focus on something, we will be able to learn it. I can understand basic math but when I have to take higher math which focused on figures, I also find it hard to understand. But one thing I realized is I am good on the anlysis part. So when the teacher gave us examination which are mostly problem solving, I was able to get the correct answer even I did not follow the formula. My classmates who were really good on equations were not able to solve the problems. So after that we decided to join force. I dealt with analysis and they dealt with equations., have a nice day.
@dainy1313 (2354)
• Leon, Mexico
Hello Belle, when I was young I do loved maths, my mother is a very good mathematician. But with time, and lack of practice I`ve lost all my skills to do maths. When children ask me for help sometimes it`s very hard to me to stop my chores and to focus on their homeworks. I have lost my math skills. But I gain another: music, I began playing music at mass, and I began studying music 5 years ago. I can play piano very well! I think I use music, in mass, and I donĀ“t use advanced maths in my dairy chores. Blessings belle... dainy
I am the same exact way as you, there is a mental block when it comes to math for me! I am terrible at it. I almost failed High School only because of math holding me back. I can totally relate to you on this. I hated it and I struggled all the time with it. I am more of an English person. I did good in all other subjects, not math though...
I am absolutely horrible at math. I can do addition and subtraction but thats literally about all and if its a large number I have to write it down I struggle so bad to do it in my head. I somehow managed to graduate from high school without learn much more in math. It is just something no matter how hard I tried I could not learn. Now with my husband he was good at math and just terrible with spelling.
@jenny1015 (13394)
I dread Math, too! I can teach my husband's nieces and nephews any subject. But when it comes to Math, I tell them that I can only be helpful to them until the 5th Grade Math topics. I don't want them ti fail because of me.