Babysitting my niece again tomorrow

My sister has to work so I will be taking care of my baby niece again tomorrow. She is 6 months old. I had her for most of the day yesterday, and I didn't get anything done because she wanted me to hold her all the time. I got her to sleep but only for about 20 minutes, and when she was awake she wanted me, and ONLY me, to cuddle her. She wouldn't let my fiance hold her, play with her or feed her. I was absolutely exhausted by the time she went home. She is teething, and in the process of being weaned too, so I expect her to be a little unsettled, but not being able to put her down for a moment is just silly. I know my sister picks her up every time she cries, and I really think this is why she wants attention all the time. I used to let my babies cry in their cots unless they needed something.
@ztuberi (396)
I think it's a good training for you. And for me, we should really give attention immediately to babies if they're crying, that's what they need now. I have a 9 mos. old baby. Have you checked why is she crying, maybe something's wrong or maybe you're not comfortable in taking care of her or she's looking for her mother.
I have 3 kids, I know how to take care of a baby. She is spolied, that's all. My sister admits it too. She picks her up every time she cries, so the baby never has to settle herself, she knows if she cries she will be picked up. If I know she isn't hungry or wet, I leave her in the cot for 10 minutes, then I'll get her out and offer her a bottle, and play with her for a while. But I won't pick her up all the time.
*spoiled
By the time that my children were that age, I was doing a cry it out with them because of the fact that I feel that children really cannot be held all the time. The were children that didn't typically cry for no reason at all, and I was able to tell if they needed something if they would cry for more than a couple minutes at a time. To me, it sounds like your niece is a very needy child and where you don't babysit her all the time, I really don't have any advice that I can offer to you about her neediness.
I am babysitting her twice a week for now while her mum works, and I am hoping she will learn that I won't pick her up every time she cries. My sister is making hard work for herself, I know how difficult it can be to ignore a crying baby but you have to unless you want a really clingy child.
@maximax8 (28559)
It is lovely that your sister has a 6 month old daughter. I think it was a mistake of your sister to hold her baby every time she cried. I would let the baby have everything she needed like a diaper change or a feed of infant milk. It was a shame you were exhausted from cuddling her almost all the time. It was unfortunate that she didn't let your fiancee hold her. It was worrying that she only slept for 20 minutes. Every parent brings up their baby in a particular way. I hope as she gets a bit older she will be easier to care for.
I used controlled crying with my kids, I know some people are against it but I don't believe it harms them at all. I have 3 kids who, although still loving and affectionate towards me and others, are very independent for their ages. I honestly believe spoiling them at a young age hinders their emotional and social growth.
@curlyghe (19)
This is one of the treasured moments for the little one and for you as well. She will surely enjoy when you tell her when she's grown up how you took care of her when she was still a baby. It's really exhausting taking care of a 6 month old baby and for you as well. They always wanted attention and needed attention. You couldn't even do what you actually wanted to do so patience is much of a virtue for this situation. You could just enjoy having her by making different sounds, playing classical music and reading is helpful for her at her age. Get her attention and surely she'll be just fine. At that age, teething begins and for those babies, they feel uneasy and for some it is painful, so they cry most of the time. When this happen, they really need someone to comfort them and cuddling them provides comfort. Since the mother is not around and you're the kin, she would surely go with someone close to her. Some babies couldn't sleep overnight because of teething. For that age, a baby will always yearn for the caress and presence of the parents. Since you are the "gaurdian" for the moment, give her the love she needs. Crying is their way of communication and there are a lot of reasons why they cry. It's not easy for you to do all this but you can surely learn it well and enjoy it at the same time. Reading books on how to take care babies at that age will be helpful for you and I hope this also helps.
@ellyse2003 (1465)
I had a baby once, he's five years old now and when he was smaller he want all attention to be his. He want's us to talk to him all the time and play with him..There was a time that I have to hire somebody else to clean our hours because I can't leave him if he's awake. I think babies love attention, though my kid doesn't want to to held all the time, he just want to someone with him.
@MandaLee (3738)
I hope babysitting your niece gets easier. My niece and nephew live out of state. I wish they were close enough for me to babysit them. You are blessed that your sister and niece live close enough that you can babysit.
You don't have to hold her all the time if you don't want to. somoene needs to break her out of that before it gets worse. weining her off the bottle is not good at such and early age. that could cause more issues in the long run. someone better tell her mother to gt her head together that child might loose all kinds of sleep yurning for a bottle too soothe herself.
@babystar1 (4236)
I have a friend whos baby is going to be 6 months at the end of october and she also wants to be held all the time and she is also teething. But she does not take her off the bottle untill shes a year old. looks like there are a lot of babys that are spoiled and want to be held all the time. I hope things get better for you.