Mother Doesn't Always Know Best

@NailTech (6890)
I should have trusted my own instincts this evening and soaked the stained curtain I had instead of washing it in the washing machine. For some reason, probably cause it was very thin and sheer, it came out of the washing machine shredded to pieces. I did put it on the gentle cycle too. (The stain itself was a water stain that happened accidentally one day when it rained.) Now I didn't have another one like it in my bedroom. The other one I have is white but even more sheer than this one was and I got both at an estate sale. I'm going to have to use one of the other sheerer panels now til I can get another set of two better curtains for the bedroom now. OMG, I should have trusted my own instincts and left it to soak like I wanted to in some bleach and home made washing soap for the night. My mom said that she hoped I liked the smell of bleach, sarcastically when I said that. Typical.I was going to put it in the basement so no one would have to smell it, but no I just go and put it in the machine and now I have no curtain anymore. Geesh. Sometimes, mother does not know best! If I tell her this she will just blame me and say that I should have just done what I wanted. Yea, sure and then after all of her complaining about the smell of bleach "everywhere" I would finally have my curtain washed. What would you have done, soaked it in some bleach water & my home made washing soap or put it in the gentle cycle with it having a possibility of shredding to pieces?? I did this before in the washing machine too but it didn't shred then.
@jaiho2009 (39021)
Sorry about your curtains. I agree that sometimes, mother doesn't know what is the best. I have few experiences too with my mom. but, such experiences gives me good lesson as well- not to listen to every words my mom tells me to do so (hehehe)
I know where you are coming from lols! Mothers are humans who are also liable to commit an err. Like you, Jaiho, I have a lot of experiences with my mom where I followed her advice, I ended up getting things more complicated and worse,I got myself into trouble.
@NailTech (6890)
Yea, I realize she is not always right but she does think she is and this is where the problem comes into the picture. She is always so rude and nasty at times when she thinks she's right, then she spins herself back into "friend" mode, and then she is an authoritive person again and the cycle begins. It is just crazy wierd being around her sometimes.
I think not a good idea to wash curtains with washer because generally curtains made of a thin and easily torn. I soak the curtains with soap and a little bleach and not too hard when washing. Too much bleach can make the curtain more vulnerable.
@NailTech (6890)
Exactly what I was thinking, not sure why she didn't think of that either as she is older and with curtain washing experience.
@NailTech (6890)
I was only going to put some bleach in it this time while soaking due to the stain but didn't realize the bleach itself could make the material even more vulnerable, thanks.
@ramiuniq (56)
Hi, Sometimes mothers make mistakes.You should go with your instinct so that you may later feel justified of whatever outcome you get.The next time you know, not to always listen to your mother.
@NailTech (6890)
Yep I know that now. I'm quite old enough so that I don't need anymore of the serious "motherly advice" anyways. Too bad she doesn't think so.
@riyauro (6430)
I think she did not know. yes. you are right, we are all humans and we are bound to make mistakes and it so happened. I have never had any clothes shred in the washing machine till now. I hope it does not happen either. Sorry that your curtain got spoilt. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful day ahead.
@NailTech (6890)
Thanks, I guess it can be replaced but meanwhile have n o decent one to use except the other one ( half of it) which will be somewhat inconveneient as well. I guess we learn from our decisions and trust ourselves more from this.
I believe mother is not always knows the best. we have decision which contradict in her decisions. the situation sometimes we know better than they do, so maybe next time just follow your instinct and asked your mom about her suggestion. I'm sorry about your curtain,,
@NailTech (6890)
Yea, it's true. I just have to put up with it all right now. I hope to get another curtain sometimes this weekend to replace the other one. Perhaps even a better one but I only have a little amount of $$.
@choybel (5059)
My mother has not been telling me what to do for more than 10 years now, being that she lives far away because of the separation. It wasn't really a good thing for me though, and for the rest of the household. Anyway, there are just times we have to trust our instincts and not bother with what anybody has to say about it because in the end it will be us suffering the consequences anyway. It is good to take advices though, but it is still our decision which course of action to take, right? Anyway, I feel sorry for you. Maybe it's about time to have a new curtain, right?
@NailTech (6890)
You're lucky then. I so get tired of it here. Half the time she doesn't even get things said on TV either but will still watch alot of it. She has almost the intelligence of a 10 year old at times and I'm not sure why it is. Some things she can be smart with but mostly it's just a fake intelligence or her making herself seem like she knows more than she does when she gets in this "authoritive" tone of hers. I'm not sure how to describe it sometimes. I'm just sad that I didn't trust my own instincts on this, but will from now on. I can't let someone who deems ignorant mess up my day.
Sometimes,we really have to follow our own instincts. Mother knows best but that doesn't they will never ever make a mistake.
@NailTech (6890)
Yea and I just don't know what to do sometimes though with her. Now my cat likes to go in the window at night and now that curtain is one piece instead of two pieces so she can't get into the window as easy as she was before, I have to help her. She's not a happy kitty either LOL.
knowing me I would have put it in the sink. I would not have wanted to go to the laundry mat just for one curtian.
@NailTech (6890)
It is different when you have to go all the way out to a laundry mat to do it but in my case I have a washing machine, so that is what I used, stupidly. I wanted to just put it in the plastic thing I have and just bring it in the basement where the spiders could die of the smell if they wanted to but no one up stairs.