sadness of being disabled

@bunnybon7 (37173)
Holiday, Florida
Ive been getting this disability digest in my e-mail for a while. and this morning I was listening to a story from a lady that was telling how and why she built a website for disabled people and she was quite inspireing. At one point she was talking about how isolated it all makes you feel and how communicating with others online has helped so much. Im only about half way through her story, but when she said this I thought about how nice it is to be able to come here to mylot and talk with others about things like this also. so thought this story might also be of interest to some of you. NOT A REFERRAL link\ http://thedisabilitydigest.com/HHL-MichelleToole-hci.htm let me know if you find her story inspireing.?
@aireanna18 (1914)
The sad part is how hard it for people with true disabilities to get disability benefits in the United States. Did you realize that Social Security automatically will deny the application. My friend has been denied 3 times now. The system is built around automatically denying the application. Denying the appeals. Then, you have to get a lawyer. Worse of all the system makes people get a lawyer that they either have to pay up front or they take the amount it cost out of the disability social security benefits overtime. The system is so broken. It is sad how the people that need help the most cannot get the assistance they need from these government programs.
@bunnybon7 (37173)
• Holiday, Florida
if you can see that site of help. it tells how you can get it faster. i did wait myself for 6 or 7 months of which i used up all my savings and retirement money. but then i did get those months added to the check when i got it. nice but the kids have used a lot of that up and i the rest with things i wanted
@bunnybon7 (37173)
• Holiday, Florida
you are so right marti. im thinking everyone should go without a lawyer. they just take your money. i went without a lawyer but it could be also that i tried first here in az. then when i moved to florida a year later, my daughter went with me and got reports from my doctors here and took me to all the doctors the social security office sent me to. one was for mental health because my daughter told them i had been terribley depressed for many years and i didnt mean to but cried while i was there and i think the shrink got me the ok.
@thesids (22358)
• Bhubaneswar, India
Hi bunnybon Though it is sad that the differently abled people dont get much support and have to keep fighting for that in many countries, I am still happy about the fact that she could get through and made something good for her. I am not kind of differently abled as the specs normally define them, but the ailments that I have, have made me kind of person in that category. I have to stay at home and life was difficult at the start of it (no doubt, even today). But as days pass you start to learn more about yourself, you do get time to find out where you can excel and be of help to others. (I say this specially because when I was healthy and fit, I never had the time or even the ideas from where to start to identify myself). Today, I may not be able to do as much as normal people but I know I can do many other things which many normal ones dont have time for. I am inspired reading and listening to the success story of this lady and also the fact that her website provides great information to all those who need it and also the visitors are making good use of the info. As they say - when there is a will there is always a way and this success story proves this adage. Wish we all took time off from our daily routines to find what best we could do for the society...
@bunnybon7 (37173)
• Holiday, Florida
the problem in this country tho is having enough to live on if you become disabled.
@thesids (22358)
• Bhubaneswar, India
It is not just there... it happens in almost every country. But yes, I did not expect it to be as bad either.
I am bookmarking the link that you've shared here so that I will be able to refer to it when I have a little bit more time. With that said, I honestly do believe that there are far too many people that have to struggle for far to long to be able to qualify for the disability benefits that they are entitled to getting. For example, my husband was not able to get any kind of disability aid when he was so sick last year. In fact, he was not even able to get assistance for paying his medical bills. That is the main reason that we are in the financial situation that we are in right now. It just doesn't seem fair to me at all.
@bunnybon7 (37173)
• Holiday, Florida
yes and it seems to be the economy. i can remember a time when anyone could get help if they were not able to pay. yet supposedly obama was supposed to fix this but hasnt. still they go on expensive trips and eat expensive foods while we suffer. our country has become like back in ancient times where the leaders sqaundered money while others starved. in countries ruled by kings and dictators
@JenInTN (27565)
She is a very spirited lady. I hope that if I am ever disabled that I will have the strength to rise above the situation. It is inspiring to hear when someone rises above and excels against the odds.
@bunnybon7 (37173)
• Holiday, Florida
thats how i felt when reading about it. wish i could do the same.
@natliegleb (5184)
you should not feel bad at all about this,its all in the heart and make sure youy feel confident all time
@bunnybon7 (37173)
• Holiday, Florida
again here its hard to keep money to survive on
Hi friend, good to know about the ladies noble work. We must encourage this kind of people and find out their unique talents. I read out the story in that link and it is really a great one. I admire the lady for her activity
@bunnybon7 (37173)
• Holiday, Florida
i just wish i could drum up a little of her ambition