Candy corn and Smarties on the bad list of Halloween candies???

I just read an article listing their ranking of good and bad Halloween candies to receive during trick or treating. I was surprised to see that candy corn and Smarties were at top of the BAD list. Their reason was that just a few candy corns can make you feel sugary sick . . . and Smarties were chalky and didn't taste good. Your thoughts? I personally love candy corn and can't get enough of it. Smarties aren't the greatest, but I thought they were an old time favorite. On the flipside, Starbursts were on the top of their good list - to me they're too gooey and get stuck to your teeth. What candies do you have on the top of your good and bad Halloween candies list?
I have starbursts in the candy bowl to give out. I love candy corn and smarties. and both i would not give out to kids. not because of taste at all. like I said I love them both. but,corn is open most of the time and smarties are not sealed shut. I also got spongebob candies to give out. I need to go to dollar tree for some more candy.
@stary1 (6622)
giftsandbagscom I agree...no one should give out candy that is not wrapped.. I have seen candy corn in very small bags to hand out and that is the only way I would.
First off, for someone like me, who has a sweet tooth that takes up their whole mouth, candy is candy, mmm mmm mmmmm! :) But candy corn is certainly my favorite candy! And smarties, they are not the absolute best, but how can someone not like smarties? Come on? Now starbursts, I do love starbursts. I just love candy and sugars and sweets! Have to watch myself, though. With an enamel disorder, I have to eat healthy, take extra care of my teeth and mouth, and must seriously limit my sugars and sweets. But if that list were up to me, every candy would be number one. Especially candy corn! YUM!
Oh yes, if you have an enamel disorder, please do watch out! I was never a sweet tooth until my adult life - pretty strange. I never thought much of candy corn, but it seems these days I can gobble up a lot - I am hooked! I know, who hates Smarties, right? I'm not a Starburst fan though . . . I might have been long ago, but the flavors are just too strong for me now. These days I'm all for chocolate too - hee hee.
@coffeebreak (17824)
Yeah, the good stuff is always what is worse for you! Candy cone is a fav of mine but it is...just sugar...strong, solid sugar! And Smarties..another fav...dont' know all about them, but still..they are just sugar. I think that the Starburst (I dont like for same reason you don't!) but the pointof them is to suck on them until they are gone..which means nothing goes in between your teeth and stays there as your saliva will wash it away...whereas if you chew the candy corn..lot of that gets down between your teeth and causes decay. But still...that could go for every candy out there and they only make a big deal about it at Halloween time...that is the only time you can get the good brand of candy corn..at least that I have seen!! But as usual...the media and the rest are always trying to ruin the simple things in life. EVERYONE knows that candy it bad for your teeth...and EvERYONE knows to eat it mmildly and EVERYONE knows to ration it out etc...so I don't know why the media and "studies that show..." have to ruin what little fun we have in life!!!
Ha ha! Might as well eat a bag of sugar with some of the candies, right? Hmmm, I never thought to suck on a candy corn - hee hee. But it would get too mushy and melt anyway - unlike a Starburst (I guess it's just made that way). My first impulse is to chew away at candy corn . . . why is that?? I've wondered about the various brands of candy corn that's out there. I've seen those teeny boxes of "gourmet" candy corn that's kind of expensive - haven't tasted them yet. I get the Brach's and I don't know why that's the only brand I get for candy corn (I don't even want to get the off brand ones at the 99cent store). So do you notice the taste difference? Yah, I think you're right. The media sometimes seem to have nothing else to write about so they have to start digging into every nook and cranny of our lives - they do rip apart everything to the point where everything is bad, don't they?
Maybe they were also considering the choking factors and artificial colours in the candy corn and smarties they maybe take longer to melt if they get stuck in a child's throat. I never really liked smarties myself even in selection boxes as a kid I used to give all the unopened bags or packets to the children's hospital so they could give them to kids having their blood taken. As they always seemed to appear even though I told everyone I disliked them. Candycorn on the other hand I quite like but maybe that is because it is a treat that I can't get in my country, so there is that. Whereas starbursts are partially made from real fruit juice so possibly considered healthier and despite their gooeyness if they get stuck in a kids throat they may be easier to cough up or dissolve.
That's possible. There are those sort of issues when it comes to giving kids (especially little ones) any candy. I do see Smarties in kids prize boxes at school or wherever . . . I guess they're cheap little goodies that act as good fillers I guess! Ah, no candy corn out there? I've been seeing them for other holidays now - like Christmas candy corn . . . maybe there are candies that taste exactly like candy corn but it's in a different shape? Wish I could send you some! I guess Starbursts have always been too rich / too sweet for me if that makes any sense.
@cher913 (25895)
well i love anything chocolate so they are always on my good list lol! funny that someone has enough time to rate candy, eh? wish i could have that job!
Chocolates galore on Halloween - what a good reason to go buy more of it - hee hee! Seriously, I would love to be a food critic (let alone a candy critic) for a living . . . can you imagine?!!
@stary1 (6622)
much2say Candy corn and Halloween just go together..it's tradition to have it on Halloween for me and I would feel something is missing without them. That's the only candy I can think of that reminds me only of Halloween and a 'must have' I also love the small snikers candy bars..I get them because I can eat the left overs. I splurge on Halloween mainly becaue it's my Birthday!!!
I know!! I have a bag of candy corn just for us at home - gotta have those on hand in October, right?! My oldest even has an old candy corn costume - ha ha! AND OMG - I love those little fun size Snickers - I can eat a billion of them in one sitting - ha ha. Those were always the first in my bag to be gone! How awesome is it to have your birthday on Halloween! Yes, go ahead and splurge! And the cool thing is a lot of the candy will be half off the next day!
@sishy7 (25623)
Tootsie rolls! I love them and miss them so much here. Lost month I ran into a food bazaar where one of the booth had all kinds of stuff and candies from the US. I bought some tootsie rolls and enjoyed every piece of them. Rather expensive, but it's alright to satisfy my craving...
Wow, no Tootsie Rolls down under? You know what, in that same article, flavored Tootsie Rolls were on the bad list too. I have to say I don't like those flavored ones either . . . I recall there's a cherry one and I think a lime one - kind of gross to me. But I do LOVE the vanilla ones. It's a white Tootsie Roll and comes in a blue wrapper . . . I wish they sold just the vanilla ones by themselves. Have you seen or tasted these flavored ones? And wow, are they expensive there? I think they are rather inexpensive here ... wish I could send you some!!
@sishy7 (25623)
No, I have not seen the flavored ones. I only know the original ones; they are not included on the bad list, are they? Sending them here might make them rather expensive, but I sure appreciate the thoughts...
@jesssp (2743)
That is strange, I love Smarties! I don't think candy corn is as popular in Canada as it is in the US, I don't think I've actually ever had it. But I know when I think of Halloween candy those yellow, orange and white kernels always pop into my head immediately! When we were kids our least favorite things to get was always nuts or sunflower seeds, those always went straight to our dad. And apples went straight in the garbage because my mom didn't trust them, and I can see why. I think the thing that was always the last to go in our bag of treats was Oh Henry bars, but my mom took care of them for us. My favorites were always chocolate bars like Kit Kat or Coffee Crisp. I also loved those Rocket candies and the little boxes of Lemon Heads. And little bags of chips were still a pretty new thing when we were trick or treating and they were a pretty big deal to get.
Even if you haven't had candy corn, you probably had something similar to it up there. They are very sugary. My kids discovered them this year and oh gosh we didn't have any leftovers of them this year - eek! Oh, I wish we would get nut packets in the trick or treat bags (at least that would be more nutritious - protein packed!). Little packets of sunflowers would actually be cool. Yah, fruits of any kind (unless it was from someone we knew) can't be trusted. I forgot about Oh Henry bars . . . I'll have to look that up to refresh my memory on what they tasted like . . . it's a chocolate, right? I've never had Coffee Crisps! Are the Rockets like Smarties almost exactly (or at least that's the one I'm thinking of). Oh yah, we gave out some Lemon Heads last Halloween (now they have different other fruit "friends"). Oh yah, and I remember getting those little bags of chips too - haven't seen that in a trick or treat bag in years . . . but I do see pretzels!
The top of my list would definitely have to be snickers, butterfingers and reesee's cups. The reason for this is that these have always been my favorite candies since I was a young girl. As far as being at the bottom of my list, I would have to say that it would undoubtedly be Starburst (as much as I love the fruity flavor of them). The reason that they are the bottom of my list is because of the fact that the last time I ate one, it pulled a filling out of my mouth.
OH YES! We have similar top 3's - Snickers comes in tops for sure next to Reese's peanut butter cups! It's funny because when I was a kid, I would have said Butterfingers for sure (I LOVED Butterfingers as a kid) - but my adult tastes have changed - I almost have to put peanut M&M's in there now (but hey, I'll still take my Butterfingers!). Oh my gosh, I can believe that Starbursts would be notorious for taking fillings out - that gooey goo! I guess Starbursts are a bit too fruity flavorful for me . . . oh I'll take chocolate over hard/chewy candies any day!
I have no idea what the candy corn and smarties are.I search them online out of curiosity.They have to do with Halloween and are foods for the occasion .I think It is sort of like we eat "zongzi" during the Dragon Boat festival.Zongzi is a kind of pyramid-shaped dumpling made of glutinous rice wrapped in bamboo or reed leaves.
Hi changjiangzhibin89! Geez, I'm more behind in my discussions than I thought. You may have noticed by now I'm trying to catch up - ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! Oh, I wish I could send you candy corns. I would normally say they are seasonal and only found during Halloween . . . but not it seems they have made versions for Christmas and other holidays (silly) - but we only get the Halloween/autumn ones because that's the real version! Smarties are little powdery tasting hard candies - nothing truly special but kids like them. Zongzi! I probably never had that before. It sort of seems like the lotus rice (I think it's called that) that we eat when we have dim sum - but it's not pyramid shaped. It's interesting how there are seasonal foods for particular holidays or festivals in every part of the world!
@Tongcv (173)
Candy looks good,just eat a lot of bad teeth.Throughout Halloween,I almost do not have candy,candy tree beautification with similar style instead.
What exactly do you mean by candy tree beautification? I would love to avoid any extra candy - but Halloween (or any part of this end of the year) it's almost impossible to avoid candies - ha ha!!
hi m uch2say we used to buy gumdrops and licorice whips and caramel chewies plus red apples and my own home made popcorn balls and peanut brittle also home made, I dislike candy corn as its all sugar and Smaries 'are tasteless too. My own favorites are chewy caramels and licorice also a few gumdrops. also a lot of kids loved m arshmallow in their bags as do I, lo l lol.
Ah, sounds like you like the chewy stuff (and the classic ones!). Do you mean these are the things you would pass out to trick or treaters as well? I know when I was younger, people in the neighborhood used to pass out these kinds of things - in little plastic baggies. I remember there was a house that would hang donuts from their garage and we would have to bite them off to get our treat. But then there was that scare - what, in the 70's?? - where stupid people would do stupid things to candies - so then they started that safe Halloween practice to throw out opened treats - and to not eat homemade goodies unless you know the person who gave them to you. Oh, but popcorn balls - I remember a neighbor who made them too (you remind me I need to make these with the kids when the cold hits!).