They went through $85 in cat food - ridiculous

@911Ricki (13602)
On Thanksgiving I bought $85 in DRY cat food alone (this isnt including wet food). Now I was buying 1 big bag a month (which is about $60 for a bag). I didn't say anything as I was technicaally feeding my 3 cats then my parents 7 cats. I buy supplements which they use (if I was just feeding my 3 cats it would last longer). So my Mom would buy 1 bag, and I would buy 1 bag. At the time I was working midnights never gave it a thought. But awhile back sat down figured it all out, and I am buying way way more than what my cats should be eating (I'm feeding their cats). I bought 2 bags of food, one a different kind to mix to get them use to it incase I cant go to the store and get it, so this other brand I bought at my work. It's been a week and a half all of it is gone. My Mother goes you need to buy more, I dont think so. So I pointed out I'm feeding her 7 cats, and even if she feeds my 3 cats I am still forking out more money. This one bag of food even with the number of cats we have last close to 3 weeks. I told her I am buying 1 bag a month which does my cats, not her cats. I've had enough of wasting my money, and then she carried on about how my cats use the kitty litter (sure I pay for half of it which again my cats wouldnt use that much), and how my dad pays a whole $9 to bring it to the dump (really my caats products that much sh*t - I believe it's her 7 cats as well). I told her even with the full $9 it would even go over the money I fork out. Now I just walked by and her 2 dogs are eating the food, I told her I,m not paying for them either. So I sat down and made a write out of the cost of my animals, compared to hers. I told her I feed them seperately and after her bag is gone, I am not buying her anything more.
@katsmeow1213 (29029)
Wow! That's a lot of animals in 1 house! I have 3 cats and usually spend like $5 a week on cat food and another $5 or so on litter. We get garbage pick up here, let's call it $2 a week on litter waste. So $12 a week, which is around $48 a month on 3 cats. I don't know what kind of cat food you're buying for $60 a month, something expensive from the pet store I'm assuming. I buy Whiskas which is much cheaper obviously. I keep 3 litter boxes.. so one 20 lb bag of cat litter only lasts me a week because I make sure each box is changed at least once a week and scooped daily.
@911Ricki (13602)
I will never feed my cats Whiskas it's full of additives, and will cause health problems down the road. My parents feed some cheap food as well, and they spend a lot more at the vets. My cat's already have a poor immune system, and feeding them that junk will cause more problems and money at the vets. So yes, I do spend it on higher quality food rather than spending three times the amount on vet bills. I feed them wet food which costs about $60 a month as well (I split the can between the three of them and use a can per day). I also buy special litter for my cats as well. As the regular cheap brands are very dusty and cause lung / breathing problems for them. I use to buy the cheap stuff and they got reaccuring upper respiratory infections which they suspect from the dust, and digging in the litter. But I budget this into my monthly spending, if I had too I would give up items for myself to to keep these items. Switching them from cheap products, to high quality and vice versa will cause issues as well.
@SomeCowgirl (32271)
It seems to me that they do not care, they look at you as if you are just someone they can try to mooch off of. You need to get out of there as fast as you possibly can within reason. Are you moving your cats dishes to your room and allowing them to eat only in there? The other cats will smell it and come romping through if you leave your door open. I can't see where your parents cats won't go through and try to eat the food if you keep it out of the kitchen or wherever everyone's food bowls are anyway. Cats are just cats, they don't know and it's really not their fault that they are eating the food. I hate that your parents are being like this, though it seems more your mom. $85.00 is a lot to spend on cat food, and that much, I would imagine, would keep your cats fed for atleast a month if not another half month, depending.
@lilybug (21148)
That is a lot of money for cat food! We only have a kitten and she does not eat that much. She is only on her third 5 pound bag of food since we got her in August. She nibbles on the dry food and eats a can of wet food a day most days. She has not had any wet food in a few days because I got her tuna flavored food and she will not touch it. She will eat the salmon and the ocean whitefish, but not the tuna.
@mariaperalta (19096)
• Mexico
Thats alot of cats,a nd a few bucks to feed them. Not sure its worth that. Does one really need that many cats around? I have just one and hes outside. I buy him a bag of food every 2 weeks and give him some scraps hes happy with that.
• Greece
I grew up with a cat and my mother used to give him fish every day. It was a cheap fish, coley, we ate cod in those days and she would not have dreamed of giving that to the cat. Now I see coley on sale in the fish shops and it is no longer classed as cat food! My two cats eat dry cat food, which is convenient, but they prefer the tinned meat which may not be as nutritious, so I give them a little from the tin mixed into the dry food. A bag of dry food and 6 cans lasts them two weeks. They get little treats from left overs from time to time.
This is definitely another example of the fact that your family looks for any and every way that they can come up with to screw you over. Now I think that it would be fairly understandable if they were to ask you to buy one bag of cat food for every two bags that they buy because that is as close as it comes to splitting it fairly. The same thing could be said of the litter and dump fees as well. Now if it seems that they will not do this and expect for you to keep footing the bill, then I think that you should buy a much cheaper brand, if for nothing more than to prove a point to them.
I'm not paying $60 for cat food. I buy whiskas and it's maybe $5 a bag. I don't see any sense paying that big price for cat food. I've been feeding my cats Whiskas for a long time and I have never had to take one of my cats to the vet for any type of health problem. Rabies shots is the only thing I have ever had to take a cat to the vet for. I have two dogs and the feed they get are about 25 dollars for a 50lb bag and I don't have any problems with them. My dogs are fat and healthy and 50lb will last them almost two months. If I was having to dish out that kind of money someone else would be helping me with the expense. They'd be eating cheaper feed. I'd let her buy the feed for her animals and I'd by the feed for mine.
@sjvenden27 (1850)
There is nothing wrong with putting your foot down... Putting out all of that money and then your mother expecting you to contiune when everyone these days are going though money problems.. She was walking all over you.. It wrong but it does happen, a lot by people all over.. It seems like it is something small and you strug it off.. But then its not good enough and the push for more is always there.. I have a similar problem here just not with animals, food for the house.. And I sat down like you did.. I wasnt happy.. It is hard to tell your family members that you love and care for no.. But if you dont they will walk all over you.. I spent 800 dollars on food for the house it lasted 3 weeks... When it was just my boys and I we might of spent 300 or less in the same time period.. Its either my sister or her bf that continues to ask for food.. Even after I told them no not anymore.. So my advice to you is to continue to watch what is going on; she may continue to slip up.. just find new ways of doing it... I would tell her if she cant afford to take care of all of her cats it should be time to be finding some of them new homes... Not trying to be mean, just being blunt.. Good luck my friend
Wow well animals can be expensive especially with that many you are going to pay alot. I had 3 cats and they didnt cost to terribly much food maybe a large bag a month. 7 cats plus dogs wow. Buy your cats their food lock them in a seperate room while they eat it and then just pay 1/3 of the cost for the cat litter and price to send it to the dump. Sounds fair that way your paying only for your cats and not hers.