A Balanced View on Money and Richness

@buenavida (8082)
Sweden
[b]"Make me absolutely honest and don’t let me be too poor or too rich. Give me just what I need."[/b] Proverbs 30:8 Contemporary English Version (CEV) For me this seems like a balanced view of money. The reason we need this view, is to not forget about the most important things in life. The writer is Agur, the son of Jakeh. He wrote further under inspiration by God: verse 9 says [b]"If I have too much to eat, I might forget about you; if I don’t have enough, I might steal and disgrace your name."[/b] This kind of thinking is not very common among most people. But most of us know that money can't buy happiness. How can we keep a balanced view of money these days?
@aerous (13474)
I really like the verse, my friend. That makes people to stand alone to glorified our Dear God. That verse will teach us not to forget that there is God, in heaven. It might also be true about your words that this is to balance our life between happiness and loneliness. Because as we can see in this world today. When people have having more means in life are forget to call and praise God. But when they suffer a lot of troubles and trials. They think to go to church and pray to ask the blessings of God. In contrary into that; When people experience destitution in this life. They might think to steal or do evils for their survivals.
@buenavida (8082)
• Sweden
Hi, aerous Yes, we have seen that people forget about God very easily when they get a lot of money. I like the words that Jesus said when he was tempted by the devil: "...Jesus answered him, saying, `It hath been written, that, not on bread only shall man live, but on every saying of God.'"Luke 4:4 Jesus knew the Hebrew Scriptures, often called Old Testament, very well, so he used the scriptures to show that the Devil was wrong. The scripture Jesus quoted was from Deutoronomy 8:3 "And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by everything that proceedeth out of the mouth of Jehovah doth man live." (American Standard Version) Yes, we need to read God's Word the Bible every day, just like we eat every day. And we need to pray the He will help us understand the important truths He wants to tell us.
@aerous (13474)
You are right, my friend. But remember the bible is not just a scripture that easy to read and understand. If you know how to read only and didn't analyze what the bible say you may come into conclusion that your faith alone will going to save you in the time of judgement... You must read the bible carefully and find out what God, really want us to go to be save. Because there are passage in the bible that Christ, built his own church for man to enter and be save.
@1hopefulman (29965)
Use money and keep it in its place. Focus our attention on more important things, like God, family and friends.
@buenavida (8082)
• Sweden
Yes, we need to have the right view and keep the most important things in mind. I love the following scripture: [i]10 The name of Jehovah is a strong tower; The righteous runneth into it, and is safe. 11 The rich man's wealth is his strong city, And as a high wall in his own imagination.[/i] Proverbs 18 (American Standard Version)
@1hopefulman (29965)
@suspenseful (40316)
I gather if you get too much, you will have to get rid of the rest. My opinion is that you have to have enough so that yu do not worry, pay all your bills out, and if something comes up, you will not worry. You can never have enough, but what that means is that if you have to have a lot i.e. wealthy, you must not use it carelessly. You of course can have too little, because even though you just have enough to feed and clothe you and have a roof over your head, what if something comes up in the future? If you have a lot and money just flows into your pockets, you have to remember that God gave you that gift to make money and you should not be ashamed of it. If God did not give you much, you have to pray to God to give you the ability and take away what is in your heart that is keeping you poor. Like for instance, sloth, throwing money around, giving to spam charities, etc.
@buenavida (8082)
• Sweden
Yes, we need to handle what we have wisely - the apostle Paul is a good example for all, as he always kept God's Kingdom on the first place. [i]"..I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. 12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."[/i]Philippians 4 (King James Version) If we have a lot of money, it is a great opportunity to help others. We need to pray for wisdom in every situation we may be in..
@suspenseful (40316)
So true. Even though we have little or a lot, we cannot complain, but have to be thankful. We can help others when we have a lot, but it has to be done without resentment. Also if I do not have as much as I like, I cannot expect someone else to give me some of his money. I am not to have the spirit of envy or covetousness.
@peavey (16786)
It's reported that John D Rockefeller once said, when asked how much money was "enough", "Just a little bit more." I think the way to keep a balanced view of money is to refuse to let it rule you. Money makes a cruel and fickle god. Don't serve it. Life is much, much more than money and if we concentrate on these things instead of money, I think we will have found a balance.
@peavey (16786)
Amen.
@Paper_Doll (2375)
We should always have a balanced view on money as whether you are rich or poor, the love of money can blind you. Rich people worry that they may lose their money and become poor so they work so hard to earn more and become more wealthy. Poor people struggle so hard to earn money for a living, they work so hard to have a wealthy life. Both of these could lead someone to just focus their attention in gaining material things and usually forget to find time for their spirituality. The bible said that money alone is not bad. It can help us survive each day. But like what you have mentioned above, there should always be a balance view on it. To have a balanced view about it, one should study the bible for him to understand what God really require of us. The problem with people who struggle for money is that they ony hope for the future in this current world. But if you'll study the bible, you will know that there's a better future God has planned for us. Definitely money can't buy happiness. It can't buy love and respect. Nor it can't save you when the son of God returned.
@buenavida (8082)
• Sweden
It can be a real challenge to keep the right view of money. The more we study the Bible, the more we get help to appreciate the spiritual things. I found this scripture written by Solomon: [i]"12 I know that there is nothing better for them, than to rejoice, and to do good so long as they live. 13 And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy good in all his labor, is the gift of God." [/i]Ecclesiastes 3 (American Standard Version) These words of Jesus help us to get the things into the right order: "33 But seek ye first his kingdom, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matthew 6 (American Standard Version (ASV) Yes, we can be richly blessed by following his advice.
That is true, God will provide for those people.
@JenInTN (27565)
It's hard sometimes to have a good balance. I think it is nice to sometimes sit back and remember where we come from and where we could be.
I would just say to live below your means. We should not spend more than we have. Family and the job should be balanced. The job us important for survival, but it should not be more important than family.
@buenavida (8082)
• Sweden
Yes, we have to keep everything on their right place. It is interesting to see the view the first Christians had on material things. The Apostle Paul was a good example for those who lived in his time: [i]"33 I coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel. 34 Ye yourselves know that these hands ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me. 35 In all things I gave you an example, that so laboring ye ought to help the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that he himself said, It is more blessed to give than to receive."[/i]Acts 20 (American Standard Version)
I am very glad that you posted this. There are too many posts about what we would do if we won the lottery, yet almost none about the things that give real meaning to life. I am very sorry that modern society placed its center in having and not in being.
@buenavida (8082)
• Sweden
Yes, the more riches we own, the more we want - at least some do.. Money can be good if we can buy things we really need, but getting too much can make us greedy. You are really right there that we need things that give real meaning to our life. King Solomon was given great wisdom and he wrote: "12 For wisdom is a defence, even as money is a defence; but the excellency of knowledge is, that wisdom preserveth the life of him that hath it." Ecclesiastes 7 (American Standard Version)
In my entire life. I only need GOD. I just want to work hard while praising for GOD. I know that i cannot serve two masters. I chose GOD than anything in this world. I am working because for my daily living but deep inside i just think about GOD and everything supernatural way that GOD promised me.