Downsizing-Is It Worth The Move?

@sulynsi (2815)
So, my daughter finally moved away, and here we are in a 3 bedroom townhouse, which is comparitively inexpensive, but we could get something cheaper, albeit smaller. We need a vehicle, but can't afford to keep this rental and get the car. We've been doing a lot of walking. Hubby has health problems that make him very tired and getting to work for him on foot or by bus are not an option (the bus stops at 10 pm but he works many nights till midnight) I hate the idea of moving again. I love my place and am within walking distance of my job. It seems practical to reduce our rental expenses to be able to have the vehicle we need. What do you think?
@JenInTN (27565)
That's a tough one. I would hate to move away from a place where I was happy but I see your dilemma. I would do the downsize, but I would take my sweet time doing it and make sure that I was going to like where I was going.
@sulynsi (2815)
hmmmmmmmm...... take my sweet time......that has definite potential.......we're moving.....*3 years later*...... I think we need to move......* 4 years later*......... stilll need to move....... do you get the impression I like living here?
@JenInTN (27565)
I kinda got that impression...yes.
Since you don't have a problem, while your husband has health problem, I suggest you get a place close to his work. Is your workplace reachable by public transportation? If not, then rent a smaller place, and get a car. I personally do not like having a car. They need maintenance, and cost money. Not only for lease payment, but car maintenance and insurance. Car depreciate in half of the value within 3 years. Once you are out the parking lot, the brand new car already reduces value thousands of dollars. Car is a big expense. I live in urban area because I need a bigger house for my family and kids. But after my kids go to university, I will sell the house, move to downtown, and sell my car. Everything in downtown is reachable within walking distance, or with subway/bus. I am free of car problems! I hate going for oil change. Oil change is cheap but then they will tell you other problems in your car. You need to do this and that, etc. This is how they make money. Not by the oil change, but by other services that they suggest. Especially since I am woman, they use to take advantage of us!
@mydanods (1017)
• Nigeria
and consider all the expenses of taking care of the car yourself, while your husband who should be helping you will not be available.
@sulynsi (2815)
If I lived alone, I would likely be able to keep all I own in a couple of suitcases and I would rent a room somewhere. I wouldn't consider owning a car and I'd live close enough to work that I could walk. However, with two people, you can't really do that, but I really agree with everything you've said.
@buenavida (7432)
• Sweden
I hope you find something good - not too far away perhaps.. I do hope your husband finds a solution for his health. And also maybe a work that lets him work near home.. Living in a smaller place would reduce the cleaning work, so that would be positive of course.. I'm sure our heavenly Father finds a solution if you ask Him..
@sulynsi (2815)
Yes, prayer is the best solution. Really, where we live, I often feel embarassed asking for too much, since many dear ones have so much less than we do in my country. Hubby is trying to learn to use the computer better so he can do customer service work from home through the internet. Friends in another congregation do that. It allows them to live in an area where there is a greater need!
@buenavida (7432)
• Sweden
Yes, many work from home - that is the beauty of the Internet if we use it in a right way.. Before I was retired, I got an early "retirement" through the doctor due to sickness and could do a little work from home. I worked with health products and they were so efficient that now, that I am retired due to age, I am a lot healthier..[em]lol[/be em] I still work a little online and from home, but I can survive from my small income, as I have not many expenses. But I would really want to visit Canada. Let's see if that will be possible in the future or maybe I will have to wait until the New World begins.. It seems it might not be too far away..
@Asylum (45962)
• Manchester, England
I would feel that the ideal solution would be to move into smaller property in the same area, which would reduce the rent and maintain the benefits of living where you do. The obvious problem with this is that you may have to wait quite some time before appropriate premises became available in your area. It is not an easy decision to make, but I would be inclined to move if acquiring a car would help so much, but I agree that it is not so easy to leave the place that you are familiar with. The plus side is that any new area would gradually become a more familiar environment and in time would be just as much a home.
@sulynsi (2815)
We are currently setting up my daughter's room as an office for my husband-he is going o be doing customer swrvice from home- that will eliminate the 'need' for a car, because the work is right there A bonus is, we can write off a portion of our phone , internet and rent as business expenses I wish I could work fom home too. I did it for a while ,and loved it, but my company has somewhat draconian (hyperbole here, just for fun) attitudes toward working from a home based office
There's two ways I think about this. One, I like the idea of keeping the extra room for when the daughter and maybe grandkids come to visit. However, if that will not be very often, then a motel may be the best option for visitors. Reducing expenses is always a plus as far as I'm concerned. I believe so many live about their means, whether it is intentional or not. I would vote for down-sizing and purchasing the car. With the car you can go visit the child who moved away.
@sulynsi (2815)
you've definitely covered all the important issues, here I like the idea of the extra room for visitors and the older I get, the less enamoured I am of makng drastic changes to 'fix'thngsI'm trying noe to mak whatever situation I have work
If you really love where you live, you should stay there. It should be possible to get an inexpensive used car that is within your budget--nothing fancy but runs decently enough. You should be able to get such a car for US$8000 or less. Also, have you looked at carsharing? I don't know if it is possible where you are, but a lot of areas do have that available--cheaper than buying and maintaining a car. You could take in a renter--someone carefully screened. You could find someone through your faith community who needs a place. Or, you could rent out a room as storage space to someone. That would mean that you wouldn't actually have to deal with another person in your space, but you would still be generating additional income.
@Sindelle (830)
They always say a car is worth $1,000 if it runs. Granted it might need more work then a newer one but if you're not traveling all over the place you can probably find something cheap that will suit your needs. I'm a big fan of Japanese cars. They tend to be a little more expensive but I've seen many Hondas last around 200,000 miles. Also I own a Civic and I'm very happy with it.
@mariaperalta (19097)
• Mexico
I feel like you, Im all alone in a 4 bedroom home here. i should sell it and move to something smaller. And buy a car or something. i think you have an idea there. if you move, Ill move.
@sulynsi (2815)
lol I'll keep you posted, maria! If you have a university nearby, try renting rooms out to students. That will help with the cost of a vehicle! If I was on my own, that's exactly what I'd do!
@Sindelle (830)
I'd also take into consideration your moving expenses. You'll have to either hire movers or get a truck. Also hopefully your town home looks good so you don't get charged to move out. If you wanted to consider moving and you have the credit I'd also suggest buying a place. I'm purchasing a home and for a house that is twice as big as my apartment I will be paying $200 less a month. The interest rates are still very low and so are the housing prices.