Daughter's hallowe'en party

My daughter didn't have a party for her birthday in the summer, because we had a week in a caravan instead. We couldn't afford a party AND a holiday. So a couple of weeks ago, I did that thing I do... disengaged my brain-to-mouth filter and suggested a hallowe'en themed late birthday party. With less than 2 weeks to organise it. Well, I managed to get all the decorations, cleaned the house up to a standard it has never seen before, bought/made all the food, sorted out game prizes, etc. The guests weren't so easy. My daughter invited 4 friends. 3 of those, their parents didn't even bother to RSVP. THEY won't be invited again! In a panic, I invited 2 more at the last minute. So she did have 3 guests, plus 2 of her brother's friends. I would have hated for her to be disappointed if nobody showed up. In total there were 8 children aged 2 to 8. With the amount of food consumed, and the noise level, you would have thought there were 3 times as many! But they all had fun, though they were high-spirited and not always on their best behaviour. None of them are bad kids, they were just loud and overexcited. After 3 hours of games, music, and general craziness, when the last guest left, I thought I'd gone deaf. But it was SO worth it at bedtime, when my 7 year old hugged me and told me, you're the best Mummy EVER, thank you for the party
That sounds like something that would have been a lot of fun. As far as the RSVPs go, I've found that a lot of people are really bad about RSVPing to a party. I've done birthday parties with my daughter's classroom friends several times and I've found that most of the time no one will RSVP and in those situations you don't know if you should have food and goodies for everyone or do it for no one. I just wish people could just pick up the phone and let you know one way or the other.
@sid556 (31005)
Aww...that is such a cool story and ya know...your daughter will remember this day forever!! So will all the kids. I know what you mean about the ones that don't RSVP. My boss and I were just talking about that as his wife gave a party and a good amount of those invited did not RSVP....so so rude!! And it only takes a minute!! I'm glad they had fun. Brings back memories of when my youngest had a party. I was so so broke but it was her birthday and I sent out invites to 5 of her closest friends. Well, she verbally invited about 10 more! OMG...my little apartment was so crazy! Many of her friends were from much wealthier families than us and one mother asked me what my agenda and theme was...choke! I said, "No agenda other than for the kids to have fun." They had so much fun and it was just free unplanned time other than the ceremonial cutting of the cake and singing Happy Birthday and opening of gifts. One mother actually asked me if anyone helped me do this. I said, "no..why?" She goes, "you planned this and made the cake and decorated all on your own?" You had to be here. I made a banner and made the cake, hung balloons and basically let the kids run the show and they had a blast! Makes you wonder why people spend so very much money on these hyper organized parties, doesn't it?
I just organised it the way my parents always organised my parties as a kid. A few games with prizes, some food and music, and let the kids run riot. The movie was my own addition, but they only watched about a third of it while eating, then left their seats and started playing again.
@sid556 (31005)
sounds like a lot of fun!!
I believe each parents all want to give a happy childhood to their kids,and seeing the kids being happy also parents' biggest wishes. Enjoy your day!
My daughter had a party all her growing life. it was fun and a lot of people showed up.. the pool party i love the most. but,she never had a holloween party and that she would have loved a lot. I think that was a great party for your daughter. these are the moments that make being a mom so special.