Getting Rid of Burnt Popcorn Smell

@NailTech (6890)
United States
November 5, 2012 1:32pm CST
I have this horrible smell of burnt popcorn in the microwave from someone here burning it in there last night and although the smell is gone in the rooms it still lingers inside of the microwave. I have tried to use vinegar and water but it is still there as well as baking soda. I am guessing perhaps if I tried some lemon juice it might help? Do you know of anything else that would get rid of that smell? Everything we use it the smell is still there. Yuck.
2 people like this
10 responses
@911Ricki (13602)
• Canada
6 Nov 12
Try putting baking soda out, it should soak up the smell. I know I have used it in the past, and always use it for the cat litters as well.
1 person likes this
• Mexico
6 Nov 12
My sister just told me that. she said at their work place they clean oven tops with baking soda and warm water- great idea.
@NailTech (6890)
• United States
6 Nov 12
Yes I did that and it didn't work, perhaps the box I have isn't completely fresh as I have been using alittle of the same box at a time. I will buy a new box if the smell is still there by tomorrow. I didn't get a chance to clean it again today cause of being so busy otherwise. I am doing laundry now too as I type.
@911Ricki (13602)
• Canada
7 Nov 12
It may take a while depending on the extent of the smell as well. Leave the door open, or put a little dish in the microwave while not using it, or directly after you use it to heat items up.
@wolfie34 (26793)
• United Kingdom
6 Nov 12
Yes lemon juice would be preferable to get rid of the smell, or a strong smelling detergent, dettol is good for a lot of things, we use dettol for cat puke and for the litter tray which masks the ammonia smell well. Keep the microwave door open so that the smell can dissipate into the atmosphere, and use either lemon or strong detergent. Hope that helps!
@NailTech (6890)
• United States
6 Nov 12
Thanks, will have to look for dettol. Is it safe for using inside of a microwave? I have never heard of it before now. It must work wonders.
@wolfie34 (26793)
• United Kingdom
6 Nov 12
Yes it is safe, anti-bacterial dettol works wonders, keeps your microwave lovely and clean and gets rid of nasty odours.
@NailTech (6890)
• United States
6 Nov 12
Thats great to hear, still looking for it. I have to try this dettol.
@mariaperalta (19094)
• Mexico
5 Nov 12
I heard of people using vinegar and water to get rid of fish from a micro. id think it would work on popcorn as well. But alittle vinegar and water in a coffee cup. Turn micro on for 1-2 minutes. Leave it in there 10-15 mints. then wipe micro down with a rag. good luck there.
@NailTech (6890)
• United States
5 Nov 12
I did try the vinegar and water but perhaps the vinegar was not that strong enough with the way I did it. i might try it the way you describe and see if it works any better, thank you so much for the advice.
1 person likes this
• Mexico
5 Nov 12
No problem, make sure you let it boil. Then leave it there a few minutes.
@NailTech (6890)
• United States
6 Nov 12
I will, wow that was really helpful. I hope he doesn't burn the popcorn again.
@Tongcv (173)
• China
6 Nov 12
Have concave and convex suface of toilet rolls,placed in a microwave oven,close the microwave oven door for some time,will be able to taste.
@NailTech (6890)
• United States
6 Nov 12
I'm no sure what you mean? Taste? Taste what?
@Tongcv (173)
• China
7 Nov 12
Not! I mean toilet paper of the kind commonly used,that bump on the surface of the paper,put it into th oven and close the oven door a short time,the microwave smell disappeared.
@celticeagle (119857)
• Boise, Idaho
6 Nov 12
Burnt popcorn smell is a good reason to open a windown or two. Air things out well. I would light afew candles and spray some Frebreeze. These will all help and after a while the smell will go away. Frebreeze is pretty good and I hope it gets rid of this right away for you.
@NailTech (6890)
• United States
6 Nov 12
I couldn't air the house cause the weather is too cold right now, but at least it faded out over night while we were all asleep. The door of the microwave was even left open for a little while. Inside of the microwave is where the problem was still lingering, it pretty much went away in the rooms. Febreeze is what my mom uses to get rid of some odors int he house but she uses it when there isn't anything to get rid of, and sprays on way too much. It is too strong for me.
1 person likes this
@celticeagle (119857)
• Boise, Idaho
7 Nov 12
I think if you clean out the microwave good it will help the smell go away. I didn't use to like Frebreeze but have had to use it a couple of times and it really works well for my needs. Lysol spray is good too.
@Paper_Doll (2375)
• Philippines
6 Nov 12
We usually use charcoal to absorb bad smells inside the fridge maybe you can also use it in your microwave.
@NailTech (6890)
• United States
6 Nov 12
I will have to go find where to get it, is it the kind of charcoal for grilling purposes or something else? I wonder where I could find it, perhaps in a health food store or somewhere else?
@kokomo (1868)
• Philippines
6 Nov 12
I used to see my mother putting a at least small amount of charcoal in our refrigerator. The charcoal is put in the container. Though I noticed that it really helps the mixed smell of foods inside the refrigerator to be less odor.
@NailTech (6890)
• United States
6 Nov 12
Charcoal, how cool. Where did she buy it? Is it just apiece of that same charcoal that people use for their grills? I wonder.
@WakeUpKitty (8706)
• Netherlands
5 Nov 12
I recognize that smell :-( perhaps baking powder will help (it's also used in smelly fridges) but the smell will also be gone in some time itself (clean up with lemon)
@NailTech (6890)
• United States
5 Nov 12
Yes it is a maddening scent to say the least and it just lingers and lingers which is the worst thing about it. It is quite the stubborn aroma. I think you mean baking soda as the powder is not usually used for this or any cleaning techniques? lemon sounds worthy too.
• United States
5 Nov 12
I would cut up a lemon and then microwave it for about 30 seconds just to kind of soften it up a bit then squeeze all the juice out into a bowl and then microwave the lemon juice and pieces in the bowl for about 1 minute that should get rid of the smell of the burnt popcorn. That is what I do when my kids cook the popcorn to long at our house. If you have a high wattage microwave cut the time in half as burnt lemon smells as bad as burnt popcorn. Good luck I hate that smell more than any other smell it really drives me nuts.
@NailTech (6890)
• United States
5 Nov 12
I will try that one, as I just bought some lemons today. I have heard of that but just didn't know how to do it. I lost the info but thanks to you I have it again! Thanks so much!
@MsTickle (24993)
• Australia
10 Nov 12
Has anyone suggested some vanilla essence. Pour a little on a cloth and wipe all over the microwave and leave it. Shut the door too. Or, if you have some charcoal (from the bbq) leave a block of that in there for a while. These things should absorb the odour.