I'm a country girl, and I wouldn't change a thing!!!

@Loverbear (4928)
I was in class the other night and was questioned about where I live. One of the questions was if I had garbage pick up. I've been asked strange questions including if I have a flush toilet. When I told the woman that I don't have garbage pick up, a chorus of voices stated "WE CAN'T LIVE THERE!!!" I sat pondering what was said and realized that they were missing a lot of peace and beauty! How many people can go out in the spring, on a crisp spring morning, and gaze across a body of water that is so still that you could believe that it is actually a mirror. As you walk out among the trees, with the crunch of frosty ground echoing under your feet, your breath hangs in the air like the clouds that are floating leisurely by. As you sip your coffee while sitting at your table, you see the robins dancing on the branches as if they were welcoming spring. You hear the voices of the wild turkeys in the distance...doing their mating rituals. The wondefulness of the beauty continues through the day as the deer wander through your yard, begging for a few scraps of bread. Rabbits hop through, looking for tender green blades of grass to nibble on; and stretching out on the ground feeling the chill of the earth tickling their bodies. Afternoon stretches into evening and with luck you will see one of the nesting pair of American Bald Eagles soaring in the sky, looking for a tasty meal of ground squirrel. You will hear the chatter of the tree squirrel, scolding the determined woodpecker who is pounding like crazy on the squirrel's front door. The evening soon turns into night and with any luck you see the mask and stripes of the local "bandits" ...the trickster, the raccoon. They too are on the patio begging for treats. The best treat in their book is a donut! Often times I hear the thuds of footsteps on my roof. The dogs go nuts, barking like lunatics at the unseen intruder on their territory. Out of curiosity I'll go out to check on who is up there (who knows, it might be Santa! ). I have no guarantee who or what it will be. I will find that the intruder is a raccoon, bob cat, house cat, or even a mountain lion. Of course they get their treats too. Who would pass up the opportunity to watch an owl in flight, or a fox racing through the night chasing their dinner? Who would want to miss the mountain lion jumping across the hood of your car as it is chasing a deer? Or on a late night drive home you are forced to stop in the middle of the road because a mountain lion is "scratching" her back by rolling around on the pavement. Or the joy of seeing a pair of cubs romping in the field close to your home. It is such a thrilling sight!!! Even the offensive skunk is a joy. If you can get past the smell and watch the little critter you will see the joy that the lowly skunk has at being alive. I've driven home late at night in time to see the lowly skunk rolling on the road enjoying the warmth and roughness of the pavement. I have watched them clawing at a rotted tree looking for grubs or other tidbits for dinner. I have watched the parade of skunks, Mom and the babies, as they march across the road to their favorite place to dine. From time to time I even get to see big horned sheep! They obviously escaped from Hearst's ranch. William Randolph Hearst kept a large zoo of various animals and from time to time there would be escapees from the ranch. They learned to survive in the area and have multiplied. Then too, the turkeys were transplants and it was a testing area to see if wild turkeys could be reintroduced into the area. It worked!!! We have around 5,000+ wild turkeys in our area. Each season brings a plethora of delightful aromas. The pine, so tall and strong bringing to mind Christmas. The mighty oak, reminding me to be strong in my life. The grass and the scent of the grass being mowed for protection of our homes. The musky odor of the leaves that are composting themselves out and feeding the other trees and grasses. I love being a country girl!!! Miss having my garbage picked up? NO WAY!!!! I would rather take the trash to town to dispose of than to give up all the peace, beauty, and life that surrounds me each and every day. I am dam proud to be a country girl!!!!
Let's see how this balances out: Trash pickup=big ugly truck, assigned garbage day, loud noises at unearthly hours of the morning, crew yelling or swearing at each other, and all the stench of the neighbor's trash in the truck as it comes onto your beautiful property. Self disposal of trash= your choice of day, your choice of vehicle, no loud truck before daylight, only your own smelly trash, plus motivation to reduce scrap. Privacy, beauty. Hmmmmmmm.
@Loverbear (4928)
It's a hard decision isn't it? Of course the quiet is interrupted during the spring and summer by a chorus of frogs singing their arias! I am an avid recycler and my trash is actually reduced by 75%. The only trash is a few tin cans and a few bits and pieces that the recycling center won't accept. As for the latest movies, I have more fun watching the critters. Today during our ride there were two chipmunks that were going crazy with all the falling acorns. They were running back and forth trying to figure which acorns they wanted to pick up first, and about the time that they decide some more of them fall! They got to running back and forth so hard that they ran into each other! Then there were the deer interacting with the cows...and seeing the brand new calves that have to had been born last night. The new borns trying to act like the older calves who were kicking up their heels during the wonderful colder weather. Yes there are times that it would be kind of nice to live in town, like Tuesday when we had to be up by 4 a.m. so we could leave by 5 a.m. to get to the polling place on time to open it at 7. But otherwise the privacy, wild life, peace and quiet, and beauty are so worth the time we spend traveling back and forth to town. If you're ever in my part of the country contact me and I'll have you out to see my part of the world.
I would love to come. Not sure when we will head west again. I know, when I make my fortune and retire we will travel. get an RV.
Sounds like a beautiful place to live. I too have lived in the country and many other places and have been lucky. All but one of the places included garbage pickup. The one place that didn't had a drop off in town that was on the way to where my husband worked. So we placed the bag each night in the back of the pickup and he dropped it off right before turning into where he worked. A pain when it rained but when we had lots of storms we just put bags in a lidded can and when the weather cleared he took the can tied to the back and dumped it weekly and brought it back again. It is nice being out in the open with fresh air and no nosy neighbors. The quiet and a nice ride into the city when you needed to get supplies and see the sites without having traffic and lines on a daily basis to deal with.
@Loverbear (4928)
After reading the responses to my discussion, I see that there are those who are "country" and those who are "city". Bill and I discussed it not too long ago and he too felt that he couldn't return to living in the "city". Of course where I live the "city" is actually a town of around 40 thousand people. But still we wouldn't make it living in "town" either. We don't do well with the people, traffic, noise, pollution and so much more. We wouldn't do well with the door to door solicitors and people's children running around unsupervised. We would miss too much of the country sounds, critters, and other perks that come with country living. There is garbage pick up, but it doesn't come all the way out to where we are. I about jumped out of my skin when we were driving into town on Tuesday to work the elections. There was a garbage truck in the lane we were driving in...they checked traffic for us and waved us around them, but it was a huge surprise to see them way out close to where we live. Our roads are paved to our homes, but back in the early 1970's they were dirt which made it impossible to drive on. If you could imagine driving on pure Crisco...you would get the basic idea of what it was to drive on the roads. My father was instrumental in getting the roads paved. We have to cross a creek on our way to town, there is no bridge and if we have had substantial amounts of rain the creek runs really fast and deep which makes it too dangerous to cross. Other than that there is few reasons for me to want to move to town. Of course with the antics of the wild animals you don't miss the movies and other amusements. As I said, I do love being a country girl...and some of us will make it in the country and others just can't quite deal with it.
@jenny1015 (13389)
We all grew up differently because of the place we live in. And I guess, people who have lesser "help" can adopt more with a society that has been provided with everything. Nothing wrong with being a country girl! You should be really be proud of where you are from. You are able to see all the beauty even on simple things life has given.
@carmelanirel (20979)
Got me sold, where do I sign up? Actually I am kind of in between, I live in the country, but in a gated community that has not only trash, but recyclable and leave pick up. And of course during the warmer weather (and sometimes in colder) I can hear the neighbor's especially a hot summer weekend. But there are times when no one is outside and the birds or insects or frogs are talking away and the sun shines down on the lake, making for a peaceful scene..
@NailTech (6890)
I agree the country is so special and with alot of the benefits you described. I would be in awe if I witnessed all of those things. Have you actually seen the bobcat chasing deer, the foxes, etc? I would be in fear of them (sadly) cause you never know if they might find you outside one day and claim you as their dinner. Same as with bears around, there have been more and more sightings in near by types of towns around here that it is almost scary. I do hope you can get to take pictures of some of it, from a distance to be safe that is. I get the pitter patter of squirrels on the roof here and thats about all. I doubt they are raccoons or skunks which we have here too but usually they don't come out in the daytime unless they are rabid and thats when I hear the feet scrambling like racing little squirrels. The cats and such are out there too but they usually just roam on the ground. I have a photo of a possum on the back fence here one day that fell asleep in a cone but he sure stayed out for a long time ,hopefully not rapid. The cats were out and about too. It seems he was just stunned on the fence and not doing anything wierd, just sitting there for awhile til he/she went off the fence and fell asleep, LOL. Then there have been the raccoons, one story in particular was pretty funny one night long ago...
@Loverbear (4928)
A couple of great "country" tales, one night when I was on the way home I stopped at the county road to pick up my mail (I live 8 miles from my mail box). I was tired as it was during my Mom's last couple of months here on earth. Well, as usual, I had to go to the bathroom. Since I had another 8 miles before I got to a toilet, I chose to drop my pants at the side of the road and pee. I felt something furry between my legs and it startled me enough that I lost control of my bladder and peed. It turned out that I peed on a raccoon...it was a teenager who was looking up to see where the "rain" came from! Today, during our usual ride in our neighborhood, we happened upon a couple of chipmunks on a person's wall. The acorns were dropping like crazy and they were going absolutely nuts trying to figure out which ones to pick up first. They were racing around and running into each other trying to figure out which acorns to pick up first. Bill and I sat and laughed like crazy at the cartoon antics of the pair. I don't worry about being attacked by any of the big cats back here. The only ones who are a threat are those that are too old to hunt any longer, and they are very shy around humans. In all my years back in the country, I have only seen one bear. I have seen several herds of wild pig...they get mean and will attack anything that bothers them, including vehicles. They even will ram 18 wheelers!!! We don't have them around here, well at least I haven't seen them roaming the area. We have had possums in our yard. In fact one night my Mom raced in the house very concerned because she thought the rotties had killed a possum. She had gone out with them that particular night and the dogs spotted the possum and raced towards it. Of course it fell over and didn't move. Both dogs stood over the possum, confused about it falling over. After all, neither dog had ever thought of hurting another living creature, in fact they helped me and the mama cats foster their litters of kittens. One litter's Mom had been killed so I was raising them on my own and the dogs were surrogate mothers to all the kittens...bathing them. sleeping with them, teaching them to use the litter box etc. So it was fairly unthinkable that the dogs had hurt the possum. Mom and I got the dogs back in the house and I went out and checked the possum. It didn't appear to be breathing and there wasn't a mark on it. I went in to tell Mom what I observed and by the time I finished and Mom and I went back out to look at the possum closer it had vanished. That is how they came up with the statement "Playing possum". If the possums are up and rummaging around during daylight hours, it is pretty certain that they are rabid. Also it isn't recommended that you handle possums that are in the wild as they do have sharp teeth and claws and they won't hesitate to use them. Especially if you wake them during daylight hours. I happened upon one at the Goodwill outlet in my county. In the bin with the stuffed toys was something warm and sticky. I was curious so I started digging. When I had moved all the stuffed toys around it, there was the possum. I told the clerk at the check out stand and before anyone could get out there a bunch of people had surrounded the large bin and were scaring the daylights out of the possum. It was hissing and barring its teeth at the people and it didn't phase the humans a bit (the idiots). Finally one of the workers who was familiar with wildlife came out wearing a pair of welding gloves and was carrying a tall garbage can. He scooped the possum into the can and took it outside into the fields and released it. But as he said, don't mess with them during the daylight hours as they do get really nasty!! The next time I went to the outlet they had built walls around the container so that the possum wouldn't get into it again. As I had learned many many years ago, if you don't mess with the wildlife, it won't mess with you.
I live near town but in a small town. The country is a short drive. I used to live in the country for a short time after I moved out of my parents house we had to burn our garbage and my father in law would take the not burnable stuff somewhere else not sure where he took it to dispose of it a landfill a town drop off I dont really know. I like to visit the country but not to live there. I like to be close to town. But as far as the garbage pick up goes I could deal with not having that if I had to.
@ANTIQUELADY (36488)
Sounds like u are happy where u are & that's all that counts. I have lived in town most all my life & i'm glad i do. Wouldn't want to be in the country all by myself. It's probably safer but it's what u get use to. Enjoy your country life.