Hubby's Aversion To Power Tools

@Janey1966 (24126)
Carlisle, England
Tomorrow is going to be a busy day for a change. No doubt we shall do some food shopping and buy another plant from Dobbies BUT the main thing we're going to look at is a hand-rail for going upstairs - FINALLY! We won't be able to bring one back with us as it will be too long to fit in the car but, no doubt it can be delivered by those nice chaps at Andersons, our local alternative to naff B&Q. Upon asking John about buying a power tool to secure the thing onto the wall upon its arrival, he dismissed the idea and said, "I'd rather my Dad did it to be honest." I never argued with him although I'd much prefer John have a go (with me helping) than his Dad coming round, as 1) I hate the in-laws knowing our business and 2) I'd like us to do things for ourselves and not rely on his Dad all the time..after all, we have painted lately without any intervention from Mr Perfect. Don't get me wrong, I've not banned John from going round to his parents..far from it BUT if I can avoid the FIL becoming involved in what WE want to do then I'd much prefer that. What would you do if you were me? Would you let John invite his Dad round to secure the hand-rail or would you bite the bullet, buy a power tool (there are some really cheap ones available now for small jobs around the home) and get the job done by ourselves? I know which scenario I'd prefer.
@savak03 (6678)
I know it is a nice feeling to be able to do things for yourself. I wonder if your husband's aversion to power tools comes from the fact that his father never let him touch his tools when he was a child. On the other hand he may have had a bad experience and is just afraid of them. I had a good friend who could do almost anything she wanted to do. She would use a band saw and a reciprocating saw but if the project called for a circular saw she would call me. She was absolutely terrified of using one of them. I never could figure that out.
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
I've come round to the idea of his Dad putting our recently bought handrail up now..as it's a job he can actually do without messing it up. I just don't like him round here anymore but I shall put up with the one visit to keep the peace and to get a handrail on the wall that's straight. Haha!
@savak03 (6678)
Sometimes we have to back up and do something we said we would never do again. That is why it is so important to keep the peace and not burn all our bridges behind us. We never know when we might have to cross back over.
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
We shall be on the look-out for brackets on Saturday, so once they are bought, the FIL will come round on the Sunday to put the rail up for us.
@francesca5 (1344)
interesting question. my ex-husband was useless at diy, but always insisted on doing it, but his father was very good at it, and so there was sort of power issue, related to diy, between father and son. not all men are good at it, but in some families to not be good at it, can be seen as failing in some way. so maybe your father-in-law gains status in some way, by doing all the diy, and johm doesn't want to undermine him, or something. my instinct is that it might be worthwhile you buying a power tool, or drill, and trying to use it yourself, as its only on the wall, at a height you can reach, and presumably there would be quite a lot of screws, to hold it in place, so the screws would not be that big, i would imagine. a bit like a curtain rail, i would imagine, but easier, because of the height. have you got anything you could practice on, maybe try putting up something small and easy first of all, to get a bit of practice. you could easily explain it away by saying you don't be too reliant on your father-in-law, so i would give it a go, but i might have practice with something easy, in a place where it doesn't matter if it doesn't work first. as like many things, using a drill the first time is always the hardest.
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
Thanks for those pointers. I would love to practice on putting up a new curtain rail but we have no ladders in order to get up there, remove the old one then attach a new one (which we haven't bought yet, along with the ladders), so a hand rail would be a breeze after that. It's all about taking the first step, isn't it? We've already demonstrated that we can paint so I can't see why we can't put a hand-rail up. After all, once the hand-rail is balanced along the wall-brackets it can only be fitted one way.
I know you thought self-help was better than help from others ,a case in point was that you did a fine job on painting lately,besides the fewer your In-laws came round in frequency, the better.However what John thought of was just the opposite.In addition,Maybe John thought you didn't have to spend money on power tools,because your in-laws had them.
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
It looks like John will be getting his Dad into secure the handrail onto the wall for us. I hope it won't drag on as I'd like him round as soon as possible. The new rail is currently resting on the landing like the other one did for absolutely ages before it was taken away. What we do need are at least 3 brackets for it as they're not coming into Andersons (where we got the rail from) until Tuesday.
If So,you can save the trouble.All you will do is that get John to urge his Dad to come .
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
We shall be on the hunt for some brackets on Saturday. If there are none in Andersons we shall try Homebase and B&Q. I am prepared to go to a national company just so the handrail is up sooner rather than later. My FIL will be round on Sunday if we can get the brackets the day before.
@BarBaraPrz (20693)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
I has power tools! (Not as many as I used to, but still have the basics.) I would instal the handrail on my own. Just make sure it's the proper height and anchored securely. You'll need a stud finder and a drill, not to mention some screws. Your hand should be able to slide down the rail unimpeded.
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
Can't I borrow you for the job? Much easier than trying to persuade hubby to do it.
@BarBaraPrz (20693)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
My broom is only good for short flights...
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
@MsTickle (24993)
John doesn't have to do it - when you go to buy the power tool, tell the chappy what you need to do and ask his advice. There might even be a fact sheet they can give you. There's no difference in your case between you doing it or John doing it...except of course the in-law involvement. I know what I'd prefer too.
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
It looks like my FIL will do it on Sunday, provided we have finally tracked down some brackets on Saturday. If Andersons (the local firm) don't have them we shall have to 'bit the bullet' and try Homebase and..a VERY last resort, B&Q!