Change of plans for Thanksgiving tomorrow

It was the plan that we would do Thanksgiving with SIL's aunt and uncle in their new home. They got their home last December. I've not seen it yet, so I was thrilled to go tomorrow. But as luck would have it, we are eating at SIL's parents home as we usually do. I don't know if aunt and uncle will be there or not. I don't know why they aren't having it at their house as planned months ago. I'm kind of disappointed. We are having Christmas here. Can't wait to put the three trees up. Our house is big enough to have them decorated. I'm gonna make up for lost time. It's been two years since we had a tree. I want to get myself some new cookware for Christmas. I'm the chief cook and bottle washer, so I'd really love having what I want. We won't be giving gifts this year. None of us can really afford it, but I will buy myself something. SIL is gonna get something for themselves at Christmas. To me, I'd rather just have great family gathering around a great meal at Christmas, than trying to pass gift cards back and forth. We have done that year after year and it gets really old.
@911Ricki (13602)
I guess plans can change, maybe something came up. We already had our Thanksgiving, then Christmas at my parents. My siblings keep bringing up gifts, that is all they think about. I really dont have the money (nor do them), they expect present but not give them. Also, my sister lives in a fairy tale that we all should exchange gifts and go into debt. I said about just getting together for food like we suually do, we have breakfast, then come back together for dinner. I will be attempting to buy the brats their stockings worth if I have the money at the time. Patches and Stripes know Santa is suppose to be coming, strange how they know, and if you say santas coming they get all excited. I am trying to teach the others but they dont seem to care.
@prashu228 (25811)
ohh fairy land yes some people are like that they dream about such things and expect life to be like that, but the reality is different. Patches and Stripes can understand about Santa That's really good i mean some pets are too intelligent .They can understand what ever we say.
The aunt and uncle will be at S's parents as well. My daughter said they may not have room for everyone. We have loads of room and 3 dining room tables to eat at. We have one in the breakfast room, one in the dining room and one in the sun room which we call the solarium. It's kind of like a Florida room. It's windows from ceiling to floor.
@911Ricki (13602)
Pointless I'm moving in I've always wanted these type of rooms, so I can jsut sit in and watch outside especially in fall or winter when it's rather cold out. I know, they are off in their world, and not htinking of the big picture of costs. Noone has money my sister and older brother are in majory debt. But they dont buy gifts for anyone they expect everyone else to give them items. I mean my brother said he wants me and my sister to buy each hiim and his wife an iPad.
@sid556 (31005)
Hi PQ, Sorry to hear that your plans got changed for Thanksgiving. I'm sure there was a good reason behind it which you'll probably find out today. I hope that whatever the reason, it isn't anything bad and that you have a great Thanksgiving! Your Christmas plans sound really cool. My family keeps it really simple also. We do exchange gifts but we keep it small. This year, the adults drew names and the rule is that we have to either make or do something for the person for 10.00 or under. I got my nieces boyfriend and I'm not yet sure just what I'm going to do. I don't know him well so I'll have to do a little research on him. We also each buy a small gift for each child to open up on Christmas Eve. Mostly though it is about all getting together for a good time with family and close friends. We always have a lot of fun.
Your Christmas traditions are wonderful. Not sure if we will draw names today or not. Oh, my daughter said the aunt and uncle will be at SIL's parents like we have done all the other years. She said Joyce and Roger don't have room to seat everyone at their table. So I guess that is the reason. I can't wait till Christmas because we have plenty if room for seating with 3 dining room tables in the house. I made the stuffing in a casserole dish, baked the pumpkin pie, and I halved a bunch if potatoes and coated them with olive oil and spices on both sides and I'm baking them face down. They always are a real treat. The outside jacket on the potatoes get nice and crispy. I just love them that way.
@sid556 (31005)
Yum!! Sounds delicious. I think I would like to try your potatoes. I'm feeling hungry just reading this. What kind of spices do you use on them. Do you wrap them in tinfoil or cover them when baking? We have a buffet at Christmas and those sound like something that I would love to add to the table. We always have our traditional dishes and we are always adding new things as well. I usually provide the spiral ham and try one new item. I also make my Kaluah which is always a hit. I wanted to get out of making it one year but got informed that I can't. geez!
@RitterSport (2452)
• Lippstadt, Germany
hi dear PQ I have never been to a Thanksgiving but I know there are loads of food and I am just glad no one expects you to cook up this storm....... LOL. Be happy that you wont have to do this but instead you will be with S parents. I know from your post you need a new slow cooker as the old one has disappeared and you sure need a new blender after the one you used stopped in the middle of your fixing the potato soup...... So I hope you can get them..... I have bought almost all of the Christmas Gifts already, there are two people where I dont have the slightest clue as to what to get them and one of them is my daddy pastor friend so I am a bit lost.......he never has wishes so its really challenging as I want to do something special for Christmas for him. We will be with my husbands family for Christmas, first time for me....... woohoooooo looking forward to that for sure.
Awesome, Ritter! I can't afford to buy gifts. If we draw names today I will buy one gift, but last year we didn't do it. I hope you can go see your Daddy Pastor sometime soon. That would be so nice for the two if you. I just got my pumpkin pie out of the oven. It smells so good.
• Lippstadt, Germany
oh dearest PQ we will meet DaddyPastorFriedrich Dec 8th. His daughter arranged for sort of sightseeing and asked us if we want to come too and we said yes sure. He doesnt know we will be there so it will be THE surprise for him. I am thrilled beyond description. I just ordered a book for him from amazon, about the county where he comes from, I hope it will be nice for him to read the book and see the pics, hope he recognizes some places from childhood days. He is a refugee of WW II too, like my family was, and almost from the same area.
@winterose (39918)
sounds like a good plan, not sure if I will have money for christmas my cat set me back.
@winterose (39918)
yeah the cat was first priority, but since my son never saw his son for most of his life, giving tyler a birthday and chistmas gift means so much to him.
@bunnybon7 (36490)
• Holiday, Florida
that would be a great idea. but then i was thinking what can we put under the tree to make it look good. id go for fake gifts. i wonder if everyone else in the house will? hhhmmm. i need to sugest that but then others will all be asking us what we got
We may draw names for Christmas, but I hope not. We didn't do it last year. It's tighter this year, so I really don't want to just exchange gift cards. That's mostly what everyone does.
@prashu228 (25811)
your idea of get together and having fun is great.Yes i heard of thanksgiving celebration but don't know exactly why is it celebrated before Christmas. I understood that its like get together and exchange of gifts.But why exactly you celebrate this ? i want to know the details. I liked your idea of family gathering and great meal at Christmas.
No, we don't normally exchange gifts at Thanksgiving, but we do draw names to buy a gift for one person for Christmas. It makes it easier to buy for one than to buy for everyone. Look up the history of Thanksgiving. When the Pilgrims came from Europe, it was very hard for them to survive. The Native Americans shared their food with the Pilgrims and taught them a lot about planting and harvesting. That is my understanding of Thanksgiving. We always speak up while sitting at the table to say what we are thankful for. The Oilgrims might not have survived if not for the native people.
That's a shame that you won't be able to see their new home. Maybe you will get there another day real soon without all the hub-dub that the holidays bring. We just got a three piece set of the Orgreenic pans tonight. Will have to let you know how they are. It might be something to look into. CVS had them on sale for a dutch oven size pot, a sauce pan, a 10" frying pan and the large pot and fry pan both have glass lids with an air hole. Long stainless handles and the insides are very smooth. Not anything like the non-stick stuff that is on the market for so long. Looking forward to testing them out.
Hey! I'll sure be looking for them. I hear they are really good. Have a very festive Thanksgiving, Cooking.
@KrauseHome (35034)
Well, we are getting ready to have a nice quiet dinner here at home by ourselves. We have Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Stuffing, Cranberry Sauce, Pickles, Olives, Rolls. It is going to be a Great meal, and a great time of my husband and I being together.