Has Religion Been Wrung Out of Christmas?

Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
For some people I know, Christmas is all about the presents, the dinner and the booze. And for many children, it's all about the guy in the sleigh, not the dude in the manger. I'm not a Christian by any stretch of the imagination, but I do wonder if people even acknowledge the religious side of Christmas these days.
@norcal (3214)
• Nevada City, California
Well, I don't care much about religion, but then, I don't care that much about Christmas. When my kids were little, we had a tree and presents and all. I have grandkids now, of course I send them something.
Judging by the crowds in churches at Christmas I think for many people the religious side is still important.
@ctryhnny (3463)
Yes, it definately has become more about presents and eating and drinking. Although I do go to midnight mass with my son and his family it's still all about what you are going to get from Santa!
• Greece
I suppose that you do not know any people who are Christians from your comments. Of course we enjoy remembering that Jesus began as a baby in a manger and ended as a Saviour on a cross. A Carol Service is beautiful and open to everyone who cares to attend. If you are open to having your impressions changed I would recommend you go to one, if you can.
I am finding the fact that Jesus supposedly ended up as a savior on a cross to signify the core of the Christian religion and yet in todays society we have Jews fighting Gentiles on many different aspects and vice-versa--- historically the Jewish rabbi may NOT have been the Christians savior but just something created by a man who wanted to appeal to the minds that do not oppose such ideology. Maybe or no ?
@JustEmm (148)
OK this is a BURRRR in my saddle. I am not religious but I am Spiritual and some wench in America got her panties in a bunch and any Christian celebration or even saying Merry Christmas will practically get you jailed. IMO that really messed up the country and all of the sudden non resident born people have clout and we the people of America can't sing our Christmas songs, ect..((and our rights have sorely been compromised - they get preferred treatment and we get the book thrown at us))) .seems to be she should have been seen as the problem and not the flipping solution. Guess the Government was TOO chicken to tell her if you're offended you don't have to participate, better yet get the hell out of MY country.
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
We celebrate the religious side, and giving gifts is a wonderful experience. It's really much nicer than receiving gifts, that's not just a wise old saying - it's true! But there's no harm in also enjoying the secular aspect as well, because it's cheery to see the lights and hear the music and the bright red and green in the middle of a cold and barren winter. And people watch Christmas movies that show life as we wish it was. We wish we could experience peace on Earth and good will towards men.
@1hopefulman (31713)
I would suggest that you do a little research on the history of Christmas and you might find some interesting things. All the best!
It is up to the parents to make sure their children believe in the story of Jesus.
Why @jstory07 ? Are we certain the story of Jesus is NOT full of holes which would explain why so many who follow the religion are still sick in mind and body ? I understood Jesus to be a self-healer but I know many Christians who believe that gift was just reserved for him ?
At a very young age I finally came to the realization that due in part to a misrepresented Calendar date that Jesus was NOT in fact born in December and it was NOT about religion but rather about Santa Claus himself and the idea of granting children who were both naughty or nice with a reward or punishment, hence the candy in stockings or a lump of coal !
@Pattitude (1298)
• Newton, North Carolina
Some still do, but they are a minority. Christmas has been so commercialized since I was a kid, but we did go to Christmas mass, and every Sunday.