Waffle Irons

@dfollin (12731)
I bought a waffle iron last year because I needed one and it was on clearance at Target.But,I am thinking about getting one of those that flip's over.I forgot what their called. Which one do you think is better? A flat waffle iron or a flipper one?
@lilybug (21148)
I waffle iron is not something I have bothered to buy. My kids love pancakes enough that I don't need one really. I don't really have the cabinet space for one anyway. BUT...the only type of waffle iron I have ever used is the regular clamshell type one.
@dfollin (12731)
Hi lilybug,When my boys were young I had a waffle iron that was a flat one,but had the imprint of Mickey Mouse's face and ears.I might still have it in stotage,I don't remember.
@coffeebreak (17820)
Main reason I got a waffle iron was cause I couldn't get the pancakes done right! The first side was fine..but when I'd flip it...it just never cooked right on that side! I got a "sticks" kind of iron....waffle sticks it is called. It is a regular waffle iron, but in the form of sticks, not squares. It makes 6 sticks, that I cut apart and then you can "dunk" them in the syrup. My grand daughters LOVE these..they call them "dunkin sticks" and ask for them every time they spend the night at my house. I make them, add a bit of butter on them, then shake powder sugar lightly over them, and then some of the gemmies (like for cookies) and serve them on a plate with a small bowl of syrup so that they can "dunk" the "sticks" into the syrup! They love it and the waffles always turn out good and brown. When my kids were little...way back in the day....I had a square iron.. and would make a dozen or so...and freeze them. THen I had homemade waffles that I would heat in the toaster! Worked great!
@Arieles (2474)
Waffle irons are pretty nice, but I've never felt the need for one. My Mom has one, and she never uses it. I worked at a place that made waffles for breakfast and the customers seemed to really like the waffles. I suppose they're okay, but I just really like my oatmeal pancakes. Now, if my kids were requesting waffles all the time, I might be inclined to buy one. I think if I was going to have one, I would get the regular one. I haven't seen the flipper one.
@dfollin (12731)
Hi Arieles,I have never had oatmeal pancakes.Are they made with oatmeal,like cereal? I love waffles.
@Arieles (2474)
No, the pancakes I make are with egg whites and regular ol' oatmeal. I also add in a little apple, YUM!
@sishy7 (27653)
I don't know why but it's so hard to find any kind of waffle irons here. I have a flat one I got from another country. But I'm also interested to get a flipper one.
@dfollin (12731)
Hi sishy7,The flipper one seems easy to use.
@dawnald (84131)
• Shingle Springs, California
I've only used the kind that flips, but I have found it to be really easy to use.
@dfollin (12731)
Hi dawn,Yeah,they look simpler to use.I think I am gonna' get one when i can find a cheap one.Probably on an after Christmas sale.
@911Ricki (13602)
My sister has one that flips, and has winnie the pooh characters (so its cute for kids). I dont have one, and thought of buying one (which my gift cards and online earnings), but put it at the end of the list as its not something I would regularly or that often. I would say you could always sell the one you have, and get a flip one.
@dfollin (12731)
Hi Ricki,In the mid 1980's I have (may still have in storage) a flat one with a Mickey Mouse impersions.Winnie sounds good too.
@911Ricki (13602)
It's cute, and gets kids to eat them. I love adding fruit ontop with icing sugar, but not picky on whether there are imprents in it.
@dfollin (12731)
But the imprints are cute and fun.Icing sugar?Never heard of it,what's that?
@cutepenguin (6457)
We have a flat one, but I have friends who have a flip one and I think they flip one seems better. The advantage to the flat one is that you can make more waffles if you get a bigger one, I think the flip ones I have seen only make one waffle at a time.
@dfollin (12731)
Hi cutepenguin,Hmmmm,I didn't know that.I'll have to check that out.
My Aunt has run a bed and breakfast out of her home for the last 25 years, and she has had the flip-kind of waffle iron. That thing has made a lot of waffles, and it worked just great for her.
@dfollin (12731)
Hi Danishcanadian,Cool! I think I am going to get one.Thanks for letting me know.